Connacht U20 and U17 championships 2024

Started by Cunny Funt, January 18, 2021, 11:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: sligoman2 on May 17, 2022, 05:08:21 PM
So it all comes down to us and the Rossies for the 3rd spot..

Predictions??

High scoring contest with Sligo to edge it. Galway should overcome Leitrim. Will Galway regardless who they play get home advantage in semi final for finishing 2nd in the table?

Current standings

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 17, 2022, 05:57:54 PM
Will Galway regardless who they play get home advantage in semi final for finishing 2nd in the table?
Since Mayo aren't involved in the equation, yes.

Rossfan

In 2019 the knock out venues were the reverse of the group games.
It probably won't be troubling our lads this tear as we're  not that hectic.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Half times

Leitrim 2-3 Galway 0-7   
Roscommon 0-6 Sligo 1-6

Results

Roscommon 0-15 Sligo 1-16
Leitrim 3-8 Galway 0-12

Semi final

Sligo v Galway with the winner to play Mayo
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Sligo in with a chance of winning the semifinal?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

sligoman2

Sligo we're in my opinion the much better team today.  Backs we're very good and we had the majority of the posession.  I though the ref gave Roscommon a few easy frees but overall did a decent job.  Roscommon took full advantage of most of their scoring chances but were poor enough around the middle.  We have a chance against Galway even though they beat us by 4 goals that game was much closer than the score line suggests.  Congrats Sligo on making the semis.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

SLIGONIAN

I think we are in with a great chance. We were far the better team against Roscommon as expected. The referee reffed both defenses completely different as most of our scores were with Ros defenders pulling and dragging us whereas if they were touched it was a free. We left a lot of scores out there too. If we had buried the goal chance at the end of the 1st half too it was game over. It worked out well as we had to work way harder and our leaders really stepped up. Some incredible talent on this team.

Galway were way sharper out of the gates the last day, they had the advantage of playing a match the week before. We were sluggish and struggled to get up to speed. However, in the first 20 mins of the second half, we had Galway on ropes, which culminated in us getting within 3 and having a great goal chance saved. The last 10 mins were ruthless from Galway. I'd say Galway's confidence was knocked against Mayo and even a second-string would expect to beat Leitrim although it was a decent Leitrim team so there's an opening there. Sligo have improved every match and plays some great football. Even against Mayo, it was a great match with an end scoreline that flattered them a bit. They deserved their win but we scored 3-10. I'll be very disappointed if this is not a close game.

The bigger picture Sligo Underage has been very strong the last few years and there are a few teams coming through back to back so things are trending in the right direction for the seniors in a few years.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Cunny Funt

Connacht U17 semi final Galway v Tuam is on this Friday in Tuam if Galway win the final against Mayo will be played in MacHale Park if Sligo win its Markievicz Park.

Final set for Monday evening June 5th. John Prenty has already ruled out it doubling up with the senior game the day before if Galway progress why i don't know?

TG4 covering both games.

Rossfan

I think the AI Qtr Finals are Saturday 11th so giving the Connacht Finalists only 5 days.
Madness JP!!

Blowitupref

rosnarun

Quote from: Rossfan on May 26, 2022, 07:20:01 PM
I think the AI Qtr Finals are Saturday 11th so giving the Connacht Finalists only 5 days.
Madness JP!!
just in line with connacht council  think.
matches and competitions are a nuisance that must be run off as quickly as possible so Prenty can continue his work of  Running the GAA and empire building
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Rossfan

Quote from: rosnarun on May 27, 2022, 10:57:29 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 26, 2022, 07:20:01 PM
Madness JP!!
just in line with connacht council  think.
matches and competitions are a nuisance that must be run off as quickly as possible so Prenty can continue his work of  Running the GAA and empire building

Sadly very true.
"Run off" = get this nonsense out of the way.
But still why can't the Final be played on the Friday or Saturday and give the 2 teams time to recover for the AI Qtr Finals?

Blowitupref

Half time in Tuam with the home side in control. Galway 1-10 Sligo 1-4. Both had chances to score another few goals but the margin of 6 points about right.

Result Galway 3-16 Sligo 1-12.

SLIGONIAN

I think it was 3-16 to 1-13 - TG4 seemed to have score wrong not that it matters.

Galway better team and just seem to match up against us badly. We started badly again 1-4 to no score then got 1-1. Our shooting was horrendous at times and we left a few scores out there. Never got a grip or run at midfield enough to get primary possession and we couldn't get the stops in our defence. Galway were sharp and Eanna is an outstanding talent. They deserved to win. I was hoping for a much tighter match and better performance but just never materialised. Galways defense when set up we could not penetrate and they cut through us much easier at times. They had a great work ethic and their pace troubled us. We have plenty to work on our end to improve for u20.

I will say one thing and its great to watch underage Connacht games but even in matches we won the Referees are an absolute disgrace, Galway should have had a black card when Dillon Walsh was fouled straight through on goal (just a tick given), then when Eli Rooney was fouled it should have been a stonewall penalty, I know he scored a point. Then there was every Galway forward taking about 10 steps and never once being pulled on it. We have a saying in Sligo we have to be about 10 points better than the Mayo, Ros or Galway at underage to counter the 5 or 6pts points the Connacht referee will help them with. We have had this for 30 years so I don't expect it to change anytime soon but it's annoying and blatantly obvious.

Hopefully Galway will give Mayo a better game in Final than last day.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Blowitupref

Minor Shield Final  (4th v 5th in the table) was played tonight in Dr Hyde Park

Roscommon 4-14 Leitrim 1-9

The Connacht final Mayo v Galway on Monday at 7:30pm in MacHale Park. The winner will play Kildare in the quarter final and Dublin for the runner up and those matches are due to be played next Saturday which doesn't give a lot of time to prepare against well rested Leinster opposition.