Dub and Kilkenny SHC Finals

Started by Bud Wiser, October 25, 2007, 09:17:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Thanks, I actually climbed outa the bed yesterday and drove down to the club and got the info in the car park !!  A big jug of hot whiskey and back in the leaba to celebrate.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Bud Wiser

QuoteGuys - thinking of heading down from Newry to watch this, would it be worth the run. I used to hurl with Eoghain Rua/Oliver Plunketts when I lived in Dublin so still keep an eye out for developments in the capital. When I played club hurling was tough, hard stuff and space to express yourself was limited - has it changed?

I hurled with Eoghain Rua for a few years myself but it was a good while ago (Joey Towell, Peadar Carton, (before he left) were there.  It was around the time that Jimmy Nolan the bus driver used to often take the field in the long trousers.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

tayto

Sorry to hear yer under the weather budwise.

Good game on Friday, despite boden pulling away in the second half, great to see Boden finally win the SHC. Thought they were the better team all over the field, but particulaly Keaney, Hiney [great tussle with Russell] and Sweeney. their defence was on top for the whole match and vincents couldnt get the scores required to stay in touch. Just look at the players they brough on to see how strong their team is at the moment. Shane Durkin caused real problems for Vincents on his introduction.

By Niall Scully
Saturday October 27 2007

THE long wait finally ended for Ballyboden St Enda's in Parnell Park last night.

For the first time they got their hands on the Evening Herald Dublin SHC final. Many times they have come close, including last year when they lost to Craobh Chiarain.

The Marino faithful made the short walk home hoping for better luck next Monday night when Vincent's will be back for the County SFC final against St Brigid's.

Both clubs endured a nervous opening. Vincent's struck seven wides before the break, one more than Boden.

The Marino men got the opening score of the contest -- a fifth minute goal from Ian Fleming after a neat pass from Damien Russell.

But it was Boden who led at half-time, 0-7 to 1-2, following injury-time points from the impressive Malachy Travers and David Sweeney.

Sweeney's point came from a first-class sideline delivered from the left wing into the Church-end goal. It was the highlight of a first half that had been level twice.

There was no stopping Boden on the restart after Conal Keaney found the roof of the net inside the opening four minutes. And they pounced for their second goal when Emmet Carroll and James Doody combined for Enda Kinsella to crack home.

Ballyboden St Enda's -- G Maguire; C Ryan, S Perkins, M O'Sullivan; S Hiney, T Sweeney, D Spain; M Travers, B Kennedy; D Sweeney, E Kinsella, M Griffin; E Carroll, C Keaney, J Doody. Subs: S Lambert for Spain (49); D Curtin for Carroll (56); S Durkin for Doody (56).

St Vincent's -- D Feehan; R Trainor, T Russell, G Cullinan; R Brennan, R Fallon, C Billings; N Bishop, S Loughlin; I Fleming, D Russell, G Boyle; T McGrane, S O'Neill, D Connolly. Subs: C Meehan for T Russell (Inj, ht); S O'Neill for Qualter (35); C McBride for Boyle (40); R Drumgoole for Brennan (45).

- Niall Scully

tayto

BALLYBODEN ST ENDA'S 2-13 ST VINCENT'S 1-5

There is an advertising campaign which suggests that "you never forget your first time" - Ballyboden St Enda's won't forget Friday night in Parnell Park when they won the Dublin SHC 'A' title for the first time in their history.

Five times 'Boden have reached the county final previously and five times they have walked away empty-handed - but not on this occasion as captain Stephen Perkins lift the Evening Herald Dublin SHC 'A' crown.

Three of Boden's players were involved in a car crash in Templeogue en route to the game - Martin O'Sullivan, James Doody and James Duffy. O'Sullivan and Doody started on Friday night.

"It was a bad crash," revealed Boden boss, Liam Hogan. "Both cars were written off, and it was fortunate that nobody was injured.

"But we had two players involved who were in the starting fifteen, so we had to make a decision before the game.

"They were ok physically, but mentally how were they? They said they were ok, and that they wanted to play.

"So we made the judgement call and we took a chance on them. Thankfully it all worked out well in the end, but the main thing was that everybody was ok," he added.

In difficult underfoot conditions the first half was evenly balanced but lacklustre affair and at the break Boden led 0-7 to 1-2 having scored the concluding three points of the half.

Vincent's had got the dream start when Damien Russell, the Vins best performer on a bad night for the Marino side, found Ian Fleming with a long-range angled delivery and he fielded well before racing away from Martin O'Sullivan and giving Gary Maguire no chance.

However, the Firhouse Road side maintained their momentum to take control immediately on the restart and 2-3 without replay put them out of sight on a historic night for the southside club.

Three minutes into the second half the Michael Griffin placed Conal Keaney and his pace took him outside Cathal Billings before firing to the roof of Dave Feehan's net.

Emmet Carroll combined with the impressive Dave Sweeney for a point and then Griffin dispossessed Risteard Brennan before angling over from a tight angle.

Nine minutes into the second half Stephen Hiney played a fine long ball down the terrace side for Carroll to run on to he crossed to James Doody who placed Enda Kinsella to crack the sliotar to the net as Boden bolted 2-9 to 1-2 ahead.

Four minutes later Griffin was again in the thick of the action when he darted in to steal possession once again from the Vins defence which led to Dave Sweeney splitted the posts from 55 metres.

Sweeney's finished with four points, including a sublime sideline cut in first half injury time, as he maintained his series of top-class displays in the knockout stages of this SHC.

The former Dublin senior hit two cracking goals in the semi-final defeat of Lucan and 1-3 against North Dublin (2) in the quarter-final while he was also instrumental in Boden's nervy defeat of Kilmacud Crokes in their concluding round-robin game.

Vins brielfly rallied with points from Niall Bishop and a Tomas McGrane free but it was miracles they needed at this stage.

Boden moved Keaney out the park to help see out the game while the southsiders defence hurled with grit and determination to the finish with Hiney, Cathal Ryan and Perkins especially to the fore.

SCORERS - Ballyboden St Enda's: D Sweeney 0-4 (0-1 sline), M Griffin, M Travers (0-1 '65', 0-1f) 0-3 each, C Keaney, E Kinsella 1-0, E Carroll, S Durkin, D Curtin (0-1f) 0-1 each. St Vincent's: I Fleming 1-0, T McGrane 0-2 (0-2f), R Fallon, N Bishop, S Loughlin.
BALLYBODEN ST ENDA'S - G Maguire; C Ryan, S Perkins, M O'Sullivan; S Hiney, T Sweeney, D Spain; M Travers, B Kennedy; D Sweeney, E Kinsella, M Griffin; E Carroll, C Keaney, J Doody. Subs: S Lambert for Spain (49 mins), D Curtin for Carroll (57), S Durkin for Doody for (57).
ST VINCENT'S - D Feehan; R Traynor, T Russell, G Cullinan; R Brennan, R Fallon, C Billings; N Bishop, D Russell; G Boyle, D Qualter, D Connolly; I Fleming, T McGrane, S Loughlin. Subs: C Meehan for T Russell (ht), S O'Neill for Qualter (35), C McBride for Boyle (40), R Drumgoole for Brennan (45).
REF - C Fitzpatrick (Fingallians).

Bud Wiser

QuoteSorry to hear yer under the weather budwise.

Good game on Friday, despite boden pulling away in the second half, great to see Boden finally win the SHC. Thought they were the better team all over the field, but particulaly Keaney, Hiney [great tussle with Russell] and Sweeney. their defence was on top for the whole match and vincents couldnt get the scores required to stay in touch. Just look at the players they brough on to see how strong their team is at the moment. Shane Durkin caused real problems for Vincents on his introduction.

Only the flu Tayto which considering the past few months is feck all on the grand scale of things.  There was a great night in the club I believe and it went on until the late hours of the early hours and I missed the shagging thing. This win will do a lot for hurling in our area and I am sure the young lads in Scoil Treasa and Firhouse Community College will not have let it go unnoticed, or at least I hope the teachers haven't and hurling is promoted from it.

tayto

It can only be a boost bud, but in fairness to boden they're one of the few dublin clubs where the hurling senior team comes first.
a run in leinster would be great but Oulart-the-Ballagh seem very strong, should be a good aul'game in parnell park none the less.

I really like the matchs under the lights, it makes a really different kind of atmosphere, certainly beats the hell out of a grey october-november afternoon anyways.

couldnt get over how good shamrocks looked on the box on sunday, what a team. 

billy the kid

I think the GPA should be ashamed of themselves they are undermining everything the GAA stands for.  What they are asking for is Pay for |Play dressed up in fancy clothes.

They are an elitist Organisation who are only concerned with themselves and I firmly believe its a case of a few leading the many.

Don't get me wrong i totally agree with players being treated well and looked after if they get injured but they are always looking for more and more.

Currently every season inter-county players in Derry get:

2 pairs of boots
2 full kits a season,
2 full sets of training gear. (1 wet and 1 normal)
1 rain jacket
1 zip up top
1 jumper
2 polo shirts
1 tracksuit
Home training Equipment
Free access to state of the art gym

All the above are official Derry gear from O neills with emblems and crests and this is only the gear I KNOW FOR CERTAIN they get!

Also they have access to a top class physio, team doctor dietician and heart screening facilities.

they receive meals after ALL games and on the way to away games

they get fed after every training

and they also get VERY GOOD rebates on their mileage expenses.

Again these are jut the things i KNOW FOR CERTAIN!!

for each national league game they receive 4 passes each allowing friends and family to gain admission to the games for FREE and the passes can be used for both hurling and football even if only involved in one code.

They receive at least 2 and sometimes more FREE tickets for ALL championship matches they are involved in

They receive 2 good tickets for the all Ireland final in their code (hurling or football) for FREE

Before the club championship begins they receive a pass allowing them to gain FREE entry to ALL championship matches within the county in EITHER code at ANY level

The above list was given to me when I asked a PRESENT COUNTY PLAYER from our club about conditions at inter-county level.

I don't think anyone would begrudge them these things as the gear and medical farcicalities are a MUST and so are the mileage expenses and the meals.

The other stuff are added perks and again I would say Just right they are training very hard and giving a big commitment to Our County.

Looking at the list I would say our county players are fairly well looked after wouldn't you? And this is just the example of our county alot of other counties like Armagh and Tyrone get even more gear and perks which again is fair enough.

But to ask for money and to make out that they are so hard done by and listening to some of their leaders you'd think some were hardly fit to feed themselves and on the way to financial ruin is an absolute myth and border line lie!! Nobodies making them play!!!

What ever happened to being proud to play for your county and pride in the jersey? That used to be enough to make people play for their counties.

Has Pride and honour fallen of the radar of the GPA in their obsession with self-worth and self-gain.
If pride in the jersey and being honoured to represent your County plus the list i have supplied aren't enough to make individuals play for OUR county teams do we really want them to? The type of character who would undermine the very fabric of our great organisation to line his own pockets.   

I was also informed by the County player from my own Club that most county players don't want to strike but are being openly pressurised to do so. Is this Democracy?

Its also evident the GPA are so far removed from the grassroots GAA and the supporters that they haven't noticed that the vast majority are strongly against it, but why would they listen to us mere mortals?

Down Manager Ross Carr has the right idea:

If these prima donnas strike and refuse to play Each County should find a panel of players who will represent their counties for pride honour and the other perks i listed. There would be a stampede to trials and it would totally negate the strike and render their actions futile and meaningless.

We cannot let the elitist few hold the rest of us to ransom while they try to gain financially for doing what most TRUE Gaels consider an Honour and a privilege – PLAY FOR YOUR COUNTY  
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!