Any good links to the 26 economy 1922 - 60/70's ?

Started by SuperMac, January 16, 2008, 04:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperMac

Any good links anyone, I've trawled thru google but cannot find anything any good. ( BTW, I'm not a business/economics graduate, just a 'man in the street' )  Interested in knowing why the 26 was so underdeveloped. Ok I know their was the obvious ones, the Economic War the Irish state refused to continue paying land annuities, Britain put tariffs on Irish beef etc Doing a part time course on Irish history, know my stuff on the 1916, Micheal Collins, Civil War etc ut know very little on economics / business.

Also did Dev/ bureaucrats not want to embrace outside investment in a very serious way ?? And what other factors held the economy back ?

Pangurban

Civil war, land annuities, instabilities arising from Blueshirt movement, Sinn Fein philosophy of ourselves alone, which was seeking to protect burgeoning irish business, lack of any entreprunerial class, Currency linked to sterling, the safety valve of emigration, largely rural ultra conservative society, partition which divided natural hinterlands, the suppression of labour. That enough to be going on with