NFL Division 2 2010

Started by Cúig huaire, October 02, 2009, 10:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donnellys Hollow

We made Westmeath look like Micko's Kerry at their peak at times today during the first half. Very few positives to take out of it really.

Its taken twelve months but finally we have our full-back returned - leave him there now and let him get match sharp.

We keep having to rely on the older experienced heads which is also a worry. Rainbow showed real leadership during the first half and Roli turned the tide around at midfield. JD wasn't at the races at all in the first half but his last two scores when we really needed him oozed class.

A few poor kickouts from Paul Flood were punished. I thought this would be the perfect game to give Robbie Eyres a run. Hard to know what McGeeney's thoughts on the 1 jersey are at the moment. I think he might stick with Corley come the championship.

Leper and Morgan Flaherty both did well. Two certs for the Championship XV I'd have thought. Alan Smith and Mikey Conway can't come back soon enough. There's no guarantee either will be in the form they were in last summer though.

Not at all confident heading to Port Laoise now. At least our indifferent form will force people to become a bit more realistic and we won't be hyped up like we were in the national media before last summer.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Throw ball

Quote from: Trevor Hill on March 21, 2010, 08:23:05 PM
Quote from: Carbery on March 21, 2010, 05:05:58 PM
Westmeath v Down (Mullingar) – Referee: Gearoid Ó Conamha

Oh FFS

I think he is the best of the 4 refs down for division 2 this weekend.
As Down are the greatest team ever to grace a gaelic football field I do not think they will have any bother next weekend. Poor old Westmeath are just lambs to the slaughter.  :D

armaghniac

QuotePoor old Westmeath are just lambs to the slaughter. 

Yes. Led by a member of a truly aristocratic family, the mightly Down will delvier a knockout punch to Westmeath.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

naka

to be fair if i was a donegal man i would rather not play down in a division 2 final soo close to the championship

armaghniac

Down are pretty much a certainty for the Div 2 final, Donegal are in pole position to join them with their home games in the run in.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RMDrive

If we get to the Div 2 final it will be a travesty. Donegal have played really poor stuff so far and don't deserve it. I'd hope that we beat Meath but expect Armagh to beat us.

western exile

Quote from: naka on March 22, 2010, 10:10:08 AM
to be fair if i was a donegal man i would rather not play down in a division 2 final soo close to the championship
I agree. Neither Donegal nor Down want to meet in a League final.  Come 1st round of Ulster Championship in Ballybofey, it would be the 4th time they have played each other this year!

Green+Gold

Anyone know what dates the League Finals are due to be played? Are they being played at Croke?

western exile

Quote from: Green+Gold on March 23, 2010, 06:59:02 PM
Anyone know what dates the League Finals are due to be played? Are they being played at Croke?

Saturday April 24
Division 3 and Division 4 finals.

Sunday April 25
Division 1 and Division 2 finals.

I think the Division 1 and Division 2 finals will be a double header in Croke Park

Dubh driocht

25th April, Croke Park, double header with Div 1 final

Trevor Hill

Top Scorers.................Down (2-68: 5 games)
Lowest Scorers............Tipperary (5-44: 5 games)
Most conceded.............Westmeath (5-79: 5 games)
Least conceded.............Down (2-44: 5 games)

T Fearon

Winning the Div 1 title in 2005 didn't prevent Armagh going on to lift the Ulster Title that year (remember also our Minor team beat Down in the minor final ;D), though as I recall we were lucky enough to get a repaly with Donegal in the first round, only a couple of weeks after the NFL Final.

I wouldn't rule out Westmeath with Flanagan on baord beating Down. Depends which Down team tunrs up, ie the one that beat Armagh or the one lucky to scrape a home draw with Tipp

Brick Tamlin

could have sworn Down minors won the ALL-IRELAND MINOR TITLE that year.

western exile

Quote from: T Fearon on March 24, 2010, 02:21:19 PM
Winning the Div 1 title in 2005 didn't prevent Armagh going on to lift the Ulster Title that year (remember also our Minor team beat Down in the minor final ;D), though as I recall we were lucky enough to get a repaly with Donegal in the first round, only a couple of weeks after the NFL Final.

I wouldn't rule out Westmeath with Flanagan on baord beating Down. Depends which Down team tunrs up, ie the one that beat Armagh or the one lucky to scrape a home draw with Tipp
You post a completely inaccurate summation of  a game which you did not even see  ???  Your bitterness has no bounds!
And only in your mind does the 2005 Div 1 title have anything to do with this thread.  And yes, Brick Tamlin, An Dún are indeed the 2005 All-Ireland Minor Champions  8)

Dubh driocht

Tony is correct that Armagh beat Down in the Ulster final but, as usual ,only gives half the story- a Down team led by James Colgan and starring MC and Mc Comiskey hammered Mayo in the AI final.