Sam Maguire Group 1 - Kerry, Louth, Mayo, Cork

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 23, 2023, 08:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twohands!!!

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 18, 2023, 06:41:07 PM
Didn't see it but how did Mayo who was leading by 6 points  on 57 minutes end up losing by 3 points to Cork?

Kerrys round 1 defeat in the end meant nothing.

Had this on the laptop and the Kildare Rossie game on the box and was keeping an eye on both.

Cork got a penalty to reduce it to three and Mayo looked a side who thought they were in the dressing room with the win at that stage.
Mayo looked a side who thought they had 1st place in the group secured and hadn't even considered the permutations that might dump them into 3rd place in the group.
Aidan O'Shea had a scorable free at the end that he dropped short into the square looking for a goal chance when a point would have given them 2nd. Clueless stuff.
Real whiff of complaceny of Mayo throughout the game I thought. For long stretches looked a side who felt that they only had to turn up to beat Cork and they were nearly right as Cork were very poor for long stretches.

Cork haunted that their full-back wasn't sent off for a strike to the back of the head that was miles away from the ball. Somehow the ref deemed it a yellow. Shocker of a decision.

Lots of sides will be hoping they draw Cork I'd imagine.

Tubberman

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 18, 2023, 07:19:26 PM
Didn't see it but how did Mayo who was leading by 6 points  on 57 minutes end up losing by 3 points to Cork?

Had this on the laptop and the Kildare Rossie game on the box and was keeping an eye on both.

Cork got a penalty to reduce it to three and Mayo looked a side who thought they were in the dressing room with the win at that stage.
Mayo looked a side who thought they had 1st place in the group secured and hadn't even considered the permutations that might dump them into 3rd place in the group.
Aidan O'Shea had a scorable free at the end that he dropped short into the square looking for a goal chance when a point would have given them 2nd. Clueless stuff.
Real whiff of complaceny of Mayo throughout the game I thought. For long stretches looked a side who felt that they only had to turn up to beat Cork and they were nearly right as Cork were very poor for long stretches.

Cork haunted that their full-back wasn't sent off for a strike to the back of the head that was miles away from the ball. Somehow the ref deemed it a yellow. Shocker of a decision.

That wasn't complacency - that's the level they're at when they play a blanket. Slow, lateral, then ease off when they get ahead. No smarts whatsoever.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

From the Bunker

The Tippy-tappy ends now. Now the real stuff starts. Everyone knew who would be in the bottom 4.

Cunny Funt

Not so sure,  Today against Mayo and Kerry two weeks ago Cork have showed their biggest improvement for years. Kevin Walsh their main coach is getting a tune out of them in the same way he did with Galway.  They play one of Monaghan,Tyrone or Roscommon at home now and will fancy their chances against whoever they draw.   

yellowcard

That was a very disappointing result for Mayo today but if they avoid Galway in the draw tomorrow I don't think they will be too disappointed. They can still have a big say in who wins Sam. I actually think that after Galway, Cork are the team to avoid among the second teams in the group. Kevin Walsh is an excellent coach and they seem to be a team that are on an upward trajectory. They'll be difficult to beat away from home for whoever faces them.   

joemamas

If that guy does not get a retro suspension, it will make mockery of all "Yellow cards" for challenges above the shoulder/ head area.
truly disgraceful strike, it was not a tackle.

From the Bunker

Quote from: joemamas on June 18, 2023, 08:32:24 PM

If that guy does not get a retro suspension, it will make mockery of all "Yellow cards" for challenges above the shoulder/ head area.
truly disgraceful strike, it was not a tackle.

Jez, That was a disgrace. Dirtiest hit I've seen in a long. The gas thing is he looked shocked at getting a yellow.

highorlow

McBrien, Flynn and O'Donoghoe

They were our only soldiers in the battle. The rest of them were an embarrassment including McStay and his army of advisors.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

Seen that punch to the head in the Mayo/Cork game, whether he meant it or not doesn't matter. Was a real card all day.

Halfquarter

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 19, 2023, 12:41:48 AM
Seen that punch to the head in the Mayo/Cork game, whether he meant it or not doesn't matter. Was a real card all day.

The referee was very poor, penalty was very soft , looked back at it a few times now and cannot see any foul.

WhoDat

the ref in the cork mayo game was determined to make it a close game. he can't claim he didn't see the strike cos he gave a yellow. mayo forward dragged down around the neck too and a yellow given when it was a black. he just didn't want to reduce anyone to 14 and then the penalty was the exact sort of situation he'd been letting play on whole match and then suddenly he's blowing it up for a penalty. very strange refereeing. part of me thinks there was something fishy altogether about it.