Armagh v Kildare 29.07.2017

Started by illdecide, July 17, 2017, 08:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 21, 2017, 07:59:11 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on July 21, 2017, 07:08:35 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 21, 2017, 06:55:42 PM
Your boy Hughes was referee that day. He obviously had a premonition that Armagh would face Kildare this summer and tried to get as many of our players into disciplinary trouble as possible.

I'm sure identifying disciplinary lapses by Kildare was one of the easier tasks he has undertaken.

To be fair the discipline of the Kildare players this season has been in general excellent. There is very little handbags in our games, no abusing or soving of officials and no brainless sending offs. Keith Cribben did catch a Meath man with an elbow but that is fair enough considering he lives in JTB.
Hopefully McQuillan is refereeing (never thought I'd say that).

Joe McQuillan and refereeing should never appear in the same sentence! ;D

Seriously though I would expect a Munster of Connaught ref.

balladmaker

Speaking of refs, has it been announced yet?

smelmoth

Quote from: stew on July 21, 2017, 11:24:44 AM
Quote from: illdecide on July 21, 2017, 10:23:48 AM
The GAA are a joke in their rules, is there anything that actually sticks. This is not having a go at Feely or any Kildare player just over the years the amount of players who have got off with their suspensions or bans is a joke. In fact any player who actually takes their ban is silly as it will almost certainly be over turned...Why is this?

Look at the soccer...try getting a suspension over turned by UEFA for example, not a chance. There is not even a process for an appeal, so why can the GAA be simply make a moclery of their rules. Surely the Refs are thinking what's the point?

I wonder why KmcG didn't appeal his touch line ban earlier?

They hired Mickey Harte as a consultant and he threatened to sue, the gaa shat themselves collectively and caved, that's how it works.

Disgraceful decision but true to form for the GAA, I expect nothing less and to be honest, it hardly matters, it means than instead of being beaten by 7-10 points, we get beaten by 12, no big deal just another bending over by the GAA brass.

It's only a disgraceful decision if the black card was merited and should have stood.

The general ability of the gaa to implement their rules during the game and enforce them afterwards is genuinely laughable though

stew

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on July 21, 2017, 05:00:49 PM
No matter how it happened, it's huge for Kildare. He is such a focal point for Kildare now in terms of pulling the strings and the obvious high fielding. Armagh now need to stop him and in turn hopefully that will give others a chance to shine.
Also it settles concerns over free kicks.

Armagh folk!
A - What will Jamie Clarke do the next day? Kildare don't exactly do smothering defence, so will he go back closer to goals, or will he float around spraying ball around...
I know he is in opposition next day but he is a joy to watch.

Jamie Clarke will keep us somewhat afloat if given a free role, his movement both off and on the ball is second to none and his work rate was tremendous last day out. Clarke will do both,he will distribute AND he will hunt for opportunities in front of goal.

B - How will midfield pan out with Feely back?

Midfield should be alright, Grimley is having a great season for us in the middle and he is going to be  one of the best MF players in the country for the next decade and Sheridan seems to be everywhere supporting him and runs his socks off, if. and its a big if, we can win the majority of our own kickouts we can keep this from being a blowout, heres hoping.

I desperately wanted Down and believe we would have taken them to the woodshed, it did not work out that way but I have no doubt the Armagh lads will give their all, especially since McGeeney is their former no 1. )
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

PW Nally

Niall Grimley any relation to Paul?

smelmoth

Quote from: stew on July 22, 2017, 10:01:42 AM
No matter how it happened, it's huge for Kildare. He is such a focal point for Kildare now in terms of pulling the strings and the obvious high fielding. Armagh now need to stop him and in turn hopefully that will give others a chance to shine.

Armagh folk!
A - What will Jamie Clarke do the next day? Kildare don't exactly do smothering defence, so will he go back closer to goals, or will he float around spraying ball around...

Jamie Clarke will keep us somewhat afloat if given a free role, his movement both off and on the ball is second to none and his work rate was tremendous last day out. Clarke will do both,he will distribute AND he will hunt for opportunities in front of goal.

Midfield should be alright, Grimley is having a great season for us in the middle and he is going to be  one of the best MF players in the country for the next decade and Sheridan seems to be everywhere supporting him and runs his socks off, if. and its a big if, we can win the majority of our own kickouts we can keep this from being a blowout, heres hoping.

I desperately wanted Down and believe we would have taken them to the woodshed, it did not work out that way but I have no doubt the Armagh lads will give their all, especially since McGeeney is their former no 1. )

I think grimley and Sheridan's main role will be on Kildare's kick outs. On our own the key will be to keep the ball away from those 2. Big role for boys like Forker and grugan and even a retreating inside forward. I'm hoping we don't take the easy option and stick O'Hanlon and Duffy in there. We will need to post a decent score. We need score takers who will hold their position

smelmoth

Quote from: PW Nally on July 22, 2017, 10:50:28 AM

None that anybody knows about

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: smelmoth on July 22, 2017, 10:55:12 AM

Not related to John or Mark either.

joemamas

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on July 22, 2017, 11:48:21 AM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 22, 2017, 10:55:12 AM

Not related to John or Mark either.

I thought you had a game to referee today

stew

Quote from: smelmoth on July 22, 2017, 10:54:25 AM

Armagh folk!

I think grimley and Sheridan's main role will be on Kildare's kick outs. On our own the key will be to keep the ball away from those 2. Big role for boys like Forker and grugan and even a retreating inside forward. I'm hoping we don't take the easy option and stick O'Hanlon and Duffy in there. We will need to post a decent score. We need score takers who will hold their position

The biggest thing we have going for us is that Kildare squander more chances than anyone else in the country, if we can force them into bad shots all day and keep the net from bulging we will at least make a game out of this, as of now, we are looking at a tanking.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

tonto1888

Quote from: stew on July 22, 2017, 02:41:02 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 22, 2017, 10:54:25 AM

Armagh folk!

The biggest thing we have going for us is that Kildare squander more chances than anyone else in the country, if we can force them into bad shots all day and keep the net from bulging we will at least make a game out of this, as of now, we are looking at a tanking.

With the exception of ourselves.

naka

Stew
We are not getting tanked
We will be fine.
For me I think we are winning this.

mcklatchee

Quote from: naka on July 22, 2017, 03:33:00 PM
Stew
We are not getting tanked
We will be fine.
For me I think we are winning this.

I can see why they are favourites. They did better than us at a higher level than us. But there is no head to head and I wouldn't read anything into games against Dublin. Genuinely think we have the players to compete. Tankings either should not and will not be on the cards
If you must ask a difficult question, ask someone else in 5 years time. I have a 5 yr plan you know

omochain

Armagh have nothing to fear here. Their improvement week over week has been outstanding. Murnin has been exceptional under high balls and if we get someone to play closer to him we could make hay in and around the goal. Our defense is tightening and Brendan Donaghy is back to his best. I am nervous about our restarts but they are improving and our midfield is playing way above my expectations. Tackling which is our Achilles heel is improving but could still burn us, depending upon the Referee. If we focus on winning dirty ball in the middle of the field and get Jamie on the ball regularly and often we have a 50/50 chance here.

Captain Scarlet

So Clarke roams where he wants to is the most likely? It worked a treat the last day.
It should be a good battle either way.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.