Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Ogra what's your thoughts on the team?
Who will move where?

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 02, 2017, 10:06:31 PM
Ogra what's your thoughts on the team?
Who will move where?

I don't actually live in Ireland these days so all I've seen of them were the three league games on TV but obviously McKernan will drop back as a sweeper, hopefully in a freer role to roam about where he wants. Mooney will be relied upon to burst at pace up the middle, but I'd say Barry O'Hagan and Jerome Johnston will be left isolated up front which would worry me because they're not exactly big men. I think Joe Murphy plays a bigger part from the team than most give him credit for but he's liable to pick up a black card and I don't think Sunday will be much different.

If they play like they did in parts against Meath, breaking at pace with men constantly off the shoulder then I think they can get at Armagh, but if it's the slow hand passing around the 45 nonsense that they adopted against Fermanagh then we're in for a long day. Barry O'Hagan has hopefully learned how to square the ball across the goal to the open man when he's through 2v1 against the keeper too.

All in all, with a full house there it's really too close to call. Home advantage doesn't mean much when a lot of the Armagh players would have played in Newry for schools and club matches before plus the crowd will be 50/50. Was far more confident seven days ago than I am now.

illdecide

Don't forget the old pitch in Davitt Park was 154m long, which was 9m longer than the maximum and caught a lot of teams out over the years. Kicking the ball into the full forward line from midfield didn't always get there, of course the scary people of Lurgan was a big factor too and their wives giving out at the wire...is it any wonder teams couldn't get outta there quick enough.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

CornerBackNo2

Quote from: illdecide on June 03, 2017, 12:40:41 AM
Don't forget the old pitch in Davitt Park was 154m long, which was 9m longer than the maximum and caught a lot of teams out over the years. Kicking the ball into the full forward line from midfield didn't always get there, of course the scary people of Lurgan was a big factor too and their wives giving out at the wire...is it any wonder teams couldn't get outta there quick enough.

What are the dimensions of the new pitch at Davitt Park?

T Fearon

I also remember a Mc Kenna Cup game with Donegal at Clann Eireann's pitch in Kilwilkie in early 80s

StGallsGAA

So who will won this clash of the once kingpins, now toilet brushes of Ulster?  I reckon Down might just get this cider monkey off their backs!

BennyCake

Quote from: StGallsGAA on June 03, 2017, 10:35:50 AM
So who will won this clash of the once kingpins, now toilet brushes of Ulster?  I reckon Down might just get this cider monkey off their backs!

Strange statement by someone from Antrim.

naka

Looks like the Mourne men going with two sweepers and Doherty to pick up murnin for the high ball
It wont be pretty and it looks like Armagh will have to go down the wings to make in roads.
The straight shoot out we thought would happen must have been just wishful thinking

Smurfy123

Naka it was never going to be a shoot out or an open game
Since Clare beat us in the league we have basically went with everyone back with the exception of Barry O Hagan.I expect exactly the same tomorrow with Jerome and Barry our 2 lone forwards and the rest dropping back in around defence and midfield
Armagh will not get the scores as easy as they did in division 3 that's why I believe Down by 3
Armagh wil not have faced this system this year where as we are well used to playing against good attacks.

armaghniac

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 03, 2017, 02:23:18 PM
Naka it was never going to be a shoot out or an open game
Since Clare beat us in the league we have basically went with everyone back with the exception of Barry O Hagan.I expect exactly the same tomorrow with Jerome and Barry our 2 lone forwards and the rest dropping back in around defence and midfield
Armagh will not get the scores as easy as they did in division 3 that's why I believe Down by 3
Armagh wil not have faced this system this year where as we are well used to playing against good attacks.

Joe Brolly on the radio there, who said he was looking forward to it owing to Armagh's exciting style of play. He said that Armagh had a div 1 forward line, but a Div 3 defence.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

naka

Fair enough smurfy
Really can't see you scoring enough to win this
If you had been more attack minded could have seen you getting  a few goals.
But hopefully it's a decent game for both of us

Dire Ear

Predictions?  Down by 2 , Arma discipline to cost them

naka

Quote from: Dire Ear on June 03, 2017, 03:22:40 PM
Predictions?  Down by 2 , Arma discipline to cost them
Armagh by 4/5😉

StGallsGAA

Quote from: hardstation on June 03, 2017, 11:22:45 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 03, 2017, 11:10:06 AM
Quote from: StGallsGAA on June 03, 2017, 10:35:50 AM

Strange statement by someone from Antrim.
I've no idea what link he has to St Galls GAC in county Antrim but going by his posts, I'm pretty sure he is a Tyrone man.

Yes lucky enough to be born into the majestic Red Hand county.  St Galls clubman for 15 years.   

T Fearon

Don't know about this.Armagh won't score as freely as they did against sub standard third division teams,and their inability to close out important games is a worry.Down also have the Kilcoo factor.A hesitant vote for Armagh.