Previous topic - Next topic

RMDrive

Quote from: nrico2006 on February 15, 2013, 01:19:02 PM
Quote from: RMDrive on February 15, 2013, 11:44:54 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 15, 2013, 10:16:54 AM
Quote from: RMDrive on February 15, 2013, 10:03:54 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on February 15, 2013, 08:13:29 AM
Quote from: God14 on February 14, 2013, 03:08:42 PM
Murphy is in serious form just now. He's finally fully fit & injury free, and as a result is just about unmarkable. I cant think of a better forward in the country at the moment.

What has he scored from play in the league so far?

0-15 I think.

Only realised you asked about from play. Don't know the answer to that. I'd guess 0-07 or so.

One of the best about, but IMO a forward should be judged on what he scores from play.

So winning frees, setting up scores for others etc is not important for a forward?
"Judging" a forward or any player is tough to do only with scoring stats.

Of course the other attributes are important, but the unit of currency that a full forward is measured on is his scoring return.  If he is close to unmarkable as you have said, surely you would expect a more healthy scoring return than 5 points from play.

I didn't say that.

Michael's contribution to the Donegal team is healthy from my perspective and I reckon most Donegal people feel the same.

trileacman

Nrico makes a valid point. Was O'connor the top forward in ireland last year because he was amongst the top point scorers? Cluxton scores regularly for dublin, that doesn't make him a good forward. Judging players on their scoring average or totals is completely flawed.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Fuzzman

Sounds like Donegal are getting back to full complement and the two week break will have given them time to catch up a bit with the others I'd say.

I read McGlynn & McGrath should be available and I'd say Murphy will be biting at the bit having lost out on a Sigerson.
I disagree with some on here and I think both managers will be going all out to win this game, even if McGuinness says otherwise.

I see Joe McMahon got man of the match for Ulster v Leinster. Kernan played Harte and wing back which is interesting.

I hope we don't get a repeat of other decades where back in the 90's it was always loads of Tyrone v Derry games. Then in the 00's it was always loads of Armagh games.
We've already met Donegal twice in the last 2 years in the semi final and now this year in the 1st round. On current form you'd expect these two teams to be fighting for the rights of Ulster for the next number of years but as we know football doesn't always go to what you expect.

Is Ross Wherity the main new face in the Donegal team? Who else should be looking out for?

RMDrive

Wherrity has done all right. Ryan McHugh (younger brother of Mark) started against Down and did a decent enough job on Laverty. I wouldn't expect much unforced change to the team from last years championship.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 25, 2013, 02:12:37 PM
Sounds like Donegal are getting back to full complement and the two week break will have given them time to catch up a bit with the others I'd say.

I read McGlynn & McGrath should be available and I'd say Murphy will be biting at the bit having lost out on a Sigerson.
I disagree with some on here and I think both managers will be going all out to win this game, even if McGuinness says otherwise.

I see Joe McMahon got man of the match for Ulster v Leinster. Kernan played Harte and wing back which is interesting.

I hope we don't get a repeat of other decades where back in the 90's it was always loads of Tyrone v Derry games. Then in the 00's it was always loads of Armagh games.
We've already met Donegal twice in the last 2 years in the semi final and now this year in the 1st round. On current form you'd expect these two teams to be fighting for the rights of Ulster for the next number of years but as we know football doesn't always go to what you expect.

Is Ross Wherity the main new face in the Donegal team? Who else should be looking out for?

Why do you hope that? Personally think big rivalrys like that are good for the game. If Tyrone can up to the level of Donegal it would be great to have 2 of the best teams in Ireland in Ulster and would hopefully push some of the others along. I'm sure both teams will set out to win this weekend. Don't think they'll be revealing too much about their championship line up or tactics but will still be going all out to win. Should be a big crowd - glad its during the day on a Sunday.

cadence

Quote from: RMDrive on February 25, 2013, 04:19:12 PM
Wherrity has done all right. Ryan McHugh (younger brother of Mark) started against Down and did a decent enough job on Laverty. I wouldn't expect much unforced change to the team from last years championship.

good opportunity to develop less experienced players with tyrone. 2-3 new squad players pushing for places giving more options from the bench would do us no harm.

RMDrive

Quote from: cadence on February 25, 2013, 08:13:28 PM

good opportunity to develop less experienced players with tyrone. 2-3 new squad players pushing for places giving more options from the bench would do us no harm.

Aye, I think we'll continue to see some new faces in the leagues games. When I say I don't expect change, I mean for championship.

cadence

Quote from: RMDrive on February 25, 2013, 09:11:44 PM

Aye, I think we'll continue to see some new faces in the leagues games. When I say I don't expect change, I mean for championship.

slightly off topic... don't know much about wherrity... what's his best position? can he do a job in the middle third?

RMDrive

Quote from: cadence on February 25, 2013, 11:55:46 PM

slightly off topic... don't know much about wherrity... what's his best position? can he do a job in the middle third?

Not sure TBH. He needs to bulk up a bit and I reckon he would favour playing in the forwards.

Fuzzman

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 25, 2013, 08:07:22 PM
Why do you hope that? Personally think big rivalrys like that are good for the game. If Tyrone can up to the level of Donegal it would be great to have 2 of the best teams in Ireland in Ulster and would hopefully push some of the others along. I'm sure both teams will set out to win this weekend. Don't think they'll be revealing too much about their championship line up or tactics but will still be going all out to win. Should be a big crowd - glad its during the day on a Sunday.

I suppose I meant my heart couldn't take another 10 years of slogging it out with another derby each year that could become spiteful. The wife and now my daughter (she's only 4) are Donegal fans.
Of course it would be good for competition and thus performances for both teams. I suppose Armagh & Tyrone motivated each other on a lot. Many Armagh fans would say 2005 was their best ever year as would a lot of us Tyronites.

So Cadence & RMDrive are ye expecting a defeat on Sunday or a win with "some new faces"?

ONeill

This probably means more to Tyrone than to Donegal. We all know Donegal in May under Jimmy is a different baste than Donegal in frost. Tyrone under Mickey don't really do peaking. They like to show their hand from the first game in the McKenna almost.

When was the last time we beat them?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

Quote from: ONeill on February 26, 2013, 10:55:10 PM
This probably means more to Tyrone than to Donegal. We all know Donegal in May under Jimmy is a different baste than Donegal in frost. Tyrone under Mickey don't really do peaking. They like to show their hand from the first game in the McKenna almost.

When was the last time we beat them?

The last time was the first match after Michaela's tragic passing:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/9371167.stm

...and in the league back in 2008:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7321520.stm

Interestingly both these were played in Edendork. Get the hoses out and flood Healy, we're heading East.

trileacman

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 26, 2013, 01:55:04 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 25, 2013, 08:07:22 PM

I suppose I meant my heart couldn't take another 10 years of slogging it out with another derby each year that could become spiteful. The wife and now my daughter (she's only 4) are Donegal fans.

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

cadence

Quote from: RMDrive on February 26, 2013, 07:35:40 AM
Quote from: cadence on February 25, 2013, 11:55:46 PM

Not sure TBH. He needs to bulk up a bit and I reckon he would favour playing in the forwards.

forward eh... hopefully he'll bring something that can add to what we're about tactically up front. we all know how good murphy is at full forward, but he's lethal out the field too. if we had someone else to play alongside mcfadden that would be great.

Fuzzman

Just read that report Omagh Gael from the match in Edendork.
Did someone say Aidan Cassidy is back into the squad a while back?
It would be nice if he could stay fit for a few months and get a good run of games.
I was down in Longford a few years ago where he showed what he was capable of.

Any more news on Coney as well?

I see there is some talk of Mugsy coming back into the fold here.
http://www.setanta.com/ien/Articles/2013/02/26/Owen-back-training-with-Tyrone/gnid-158988/