Introduce yourself - what's your club and county!!

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 11:37:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Onion Bag

Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Uladh

QuoteIntroduce yourself - what's your club and county!!

What would rory gallagher reply?

Rav67

The majority of teams in the country could win the AI junior championship

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Rav67 on June 30, 2008, 06:08:37 PM
The majority of teams in the country could win the AI junior championship

Think you're being disrespectful and also wrong here Rav.

For small clubs who punch above their weight a county senior title is a tough ask. But the likes of Greencastle reaching and winning a Junior All-Ireland is a great achievement. I saw them beat Killala from Mayo in the semi-final and the fervour at that game was great to see.

Also I'd have to say the standard tends to be quite high. I know a few senior clubs in Mayo and a lot of intermediate that wouldn't be able to win it.
My own club won the Mayo Junior in 2003 and reached the All-Ireland Junior semi where we lost. We went on and won the Mayo Intermediate the following year which was no mean feat for a team just out of Junior. The team who beat us - Carberry Rangers of Cork - did something similar.
Both clubs would now be among the better senior clubs in their counties imo. And even when they were junior both would have been capable of beating a lot of intermediate and senior sides.
So while junior standards can be low in some places, across Ireland as a whole you will get some teams that are very good, in my experience.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Niall Quinn

As I've been in exile a full 8 years, and as a result of Down's joyless GAA performances in recent times, I'd like to take advantage of the association's oct-ans-out 'change my county' ruling.
For hurling I'm now declaring myself a Cat, and for football I'm now a Derry man hiy.
Doire abu!
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

timmyot501

Club - In between clubs
County - Monaghan

Best - v Donegal in Ballybofey in 1995 USFC Round 1. We had no hope but won handy-ish
       - v Derry in Blayney in early 90's. 0-10 to 0-01 down at half time came back to draw

Worst - The next match in both above cases. Hopes raised only to be dashed
         -  v Kerry in Croker last summer. It was there for the taking but we handed it back.

nrico2006

Club:  Formerly Strabane Shamrocks Hurling Club, Urney GFC.
         Currently Sean Treacys HC.

County: Tyrone

Best Memory: 2008 All Ireland Quarter Final.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Schkite

Club: Clontibret

County: Monaghan

Best Memory: Winning county championship for first time in 26 years in '94, and subsequent route to Ulster final.