Poll: Are you in favour of the multi-sports stadium at Long Kesh?

Started by Donagh, July 04, 2007, 10:54:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poll: Are you in favour of the multi-sports stadium at Long Kesh?

Free stadium, hell yeah
No way, we don't need it
Don't care, not us pouring money into it

Donagh

Don't forget the vast majority of members haven't voted so they probably fit into the 'don't care' category like myself.

SammyG

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tbc....

GweylTah

I can't see this being terribly representative if one compares it with the infamous Southern Electoral poll, which would have seen Sinn Fein vying for the largest number of seats in the Dail along wth Fianna Fail.

Aristotle Flynn

Its the Maze/Long Kesh or nothing for soccer. Ormeau Park will never be used as a stadium. Harland & Wolfe or the North Forshore are more likely to get planning permission. As a GAA I'm all for it. Great location in Mid Ulster with M1 right beside it. Hard to beat IMO>
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

Star Spangler

Quotethe GAA will have either to forego income equivalent to 17.5% VAT

Why can't the VAT be reclaimed?

dublinfella

because VAT has to be paid on entry to sporting events in the 6 but not the south. Why else do you think the GAA built Clones as big?

snatter

Quote from: dublinfella on July 05, 2007, 12:12:08 PM
because VAT has to be paid on entry to sporting events in the 6 but not the south. Why else do you think the GAA built Clones as big?

Surely the GAA are eligible for zero-VAT rating. Gordon Brown introduced zero VAT for charities and other "qualifying" not for profits.

The GAA would definately be a "Qualifying Body" as per HMRC criteria:
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/fund-raising-events.htm#10
Quoteany body that is an eligible body for the purposes of Group 10, Schedule 9 to the VAT Act 1994, and whose principal purpose is the provision of facilities for persons to take part in sport or physical education,

THe Ulster Council could hold up to 15 events per year at one location, which could be zero VAT rated on all admission charges, etc. A big match is surely a fund raising event for the Ulster Council.

See http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/charities/fund-raising-events.htm#fund

If the GAA makes use of this, then the VAT issue has gone.
Any accountants / tax experts out there have an opinion?

nifan

Does the event not have to be classed as primarily for raising funds, which a competetive game would not?
Not sure but that was my understanding.

snatter

Quote from: nifan on July 05, 2007, 12:47:38 PM
Does the event not have to be classed as primarily for raising funds, which a competetive game would not?
Not sure but that was my understanding.

I don't see the distinction.
The Ulster Council GAA is a Not For Profit whose principal purpose is the provision of facilities for persons to take part in sport or physical education.
Its matches are its fund raising activities - nothing in the guidance notes that I've read says that a fund raising event can't be a competitive match.

If the tickets stated that "This match is a fund-raising event for the Ulster GAA", then surely, it would be exempt.

Jim_Murphy_74

While being a member of the board is an admirable vocation in itself  ;D ;D How many people here are members of the GAA?  This is the true constituency for any vote.

Centrally at Congress last year any Ulster delegates I spoke to were dead set against this idea, regardless of location.  The want their own county grounds to get more, not less matches.

I for one would not like my provincial board sending matches to a non-GAA ground if my county ground was left idle.

I'd wager that those who have committed work to Breffni, Casement and Clones grounds will be well impressed to lose matches and revenue to an outside stadium.

I'm a bit of Rule 42 man in both ways.  Let other sports build and use their grounds.  GAA grounds for GAA sports has served us well to date.

Leave the Maze to the other sports, thank them for their inclusiveness etc... but no thanks,

/Jim.

Donagh

Spoken like a man who hasn't endured the Clones rain Jim – the only county ground that will lose out.

snatter

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on July 05, 2007, 01:48:10 PM
While being a member of the board is an admirable vocation in itself  ;D ;D How many people here are members of the GAA?  This is the true constituency for any vote.

Centrally at Congress last year any Ulster delegates I spoke to were dead set against this idea, regardless of location.  The want their own county grounds to get more, not less matches.

I for one would not like my provincial board sending matches to a non-GAA ground if my county ground was left idle.

I'd wager that those who have committed work to Breffni, Casement and Clones grounds will be well impressed to lose matches and revenue to an outside stadium.

I'm a bit of Rule 42 man in both ways.  Let other sports build and use their grounds.  GAA grounds for GAA sports has served us well to date.

Leave the Maze to the other sports, thank them for their inclusiveness etc... but no thanks,

/Jim.

Jim,

QuoteThe want their own county grounds to get more, not less matches.

Thats's the core of the problem.

All over the country resources are being wasted on county grounds whose occassiona use in no way justifies the money spent on them.

Most of these upgraded county grounds have the vast majority of fans getting soaked on uncovered terraces.

GAA HQ, in the strategic review report, recommended that Ulster, Munster and Connaught should each develop one high quality venue, 40k+, at least two thirds seated and covered.

Taking more games out of low quality county grounds into this major ground would give higher attendances, better spectator experience, and a much more impressive marketing/tv profile.

UCC economists independently reviewed this recommendation and agreed that it was affordable and desirable.

The Maze gives us this 40k stadium at no capital cost.
Why spend 10's of millions devloping this high class stadium, when we could use the Maze and spend the money on more useful things, such as getting GAA into our larger towns and cities where we're failing badly?

and btw, Congress can sometimes be woefully out of touch with its membership. Democracy in the GAA is much like that within trade unions, sometimes the activist members' opinions are well out of kilter with ordinary members who don't have the time / effort / pigheadedness needed to involve themselves in GAA politics.