The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 21, 2019, 08:24:51 PM
QuoteIf you are a kaperneck fan , well he painted himself into that corner and I have no sympathy for him for bringing that into American football sporting arenas.

Kaperneck brought politics into the NFL? Are you for real?

"As recently as 2015, the Department of Defense was doling out millions to the NFL for such things as military flyovers, flag unfurlings, emotional color guard ceremonies, enlistment campaigns, and — interestingly enough — national anthem performances. Additionally, according to Vice, the NFL's policy on players standing for the national anthem also changed in 2009, with athletes "encouraged" thereafter to participate. Prior to that, teams were not given any specific instructions on the matter; some chose to remain in the locker room until after opening ceremonies were completed. (It's unclear whether the policy change was implemented as a direct result of any Defense Department contracts.)"

How the NFL sold patriotism to the U.S. military for millions
Point out where I said politics...

..but thanks- you are proving my point

sid waddell

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 22, 2019, 12:31:07 AM
QuoteIf you are a kaperneck fan , well he painted himself into that corner and I have no sympathy for him for bringing that into American football sporting arenas.

"As recently as 2015, the Department of Defense was doling out millions to the NFL for such things as military flyovers, flag unfurlings, emotional color guard ceremonies, enlistment campaigns, and — interestingly enough — national anthem performances. Additionally, according to Vice, the NFL's policy on players standing for the national anthem also changed in 2009, with athletes "encouraged" thereafter to participate. Prior to that, teams were not given any specific instructions on the matter; some chose to remain in the locker room until after opening ceremonies were completed. (It's unclear whether the policy change was implemented as a direct result of any Defense Department contracts.)"

Presumably you also had no sympathy for Tommie Smith and John Carlos over the scandalous treatment they received.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: sid waddell on February 22, 2019, 12:47:16 AM

Presumably you also had no sympathy for Tommie Smith and John Carlos over the scandalous treatment they received.
You didn't answer my question to you  above

sid waddell

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 22, 2019, 01:10:32 AM

I can't answer a supposed question to me which doesn't exist.

Gmac

that was 50 years ago how old are u ?

Eamonnca1

Lynch, your exact words were:

"If you are a kaperneck fan , well he painted himself into that corner and I have no sympathy for him for bringing that into American football sporting arenas."

(My emphasis.)

You expect us to believe that the word "that" in your statement refers to something other than politics? Or maybe you're now going to use some contorted logic to suggest that the BLM movement is not political. Whatever.

Don't insult our intelligence. We all know you weren't talking about the weather.

Sport has always been political. Kaperneck is not the first person to use a sporting platform to make a political point.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: sid waddell on February 22, 2019, 01:20:52 AM

I see your alter ego has answered it now...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 22, 2019, 05:55:53 AM

"If you are a kaperneck fan , well he painted himself into that corner and I have no sympathy for him for bringing that into American football sporting arenas."

(My emphasis.)

You expect us to believe that the word "that" in your statement refers to something other than politics? Or maybe you're now going to use some contorted logic to suggest that the BLM movement is not political. Whatever.

Don't insult our intelligence. We all know you weren't talking about the weather.

Sport has always been political. Kaperneck is not the first person to use a sporting platform to make a political point.
No offense but you are certainly pushing the boundaries of cyber bullying here.
Thrusting your opinions down someone's throat and telling them what they mean

My issue with kaperneck and what he did at no stage says political.
It was his actions of starting off a protest within a sporting arena that annoyed me. He could have protested outside city hall during the week, but to bring any protest into sports is wrong.  Whether the protest is personal pay related , gay rights, anti carbon emissions, anti abortion, anti Mexican wall,  anti patriots/brady/deflategate persecution or anti cyber bullying - to highlight and conduct an act in this arena is way wrong.
It was the act of bringing the game into disrepute I was referring to.
So feel free to apologise.. but like most bullying behaviour, I suspect one will be lacking.

HiMucker

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 22, 2019, 08:55:57 AM

(My emphasis.)

It was his actions of starting off a protest within a sporting arena that annoyed me. He could have protested outside city hall during the week, but to bring any protest into sports is wrong.  Whether the protest is personal pay related , gay rights, anti carbon emissions, anti abortion, anti Mexican wall,  anti patriots/brady/deflategate persecution or anti cyber bullying - to highlight and conduct an act in this arena is way wrong.
So feel free to apologise.. but like most bullying behaviour, I suspect one will be lacking.
Should Jessie Owens have done it outside City Hall? Do you think that would have the same effect?

screenexile

(My emphasis.)

I wouldn't subscribe to that at all. If you feel there is an injustice and something needs to be done about it why wouldn't you use the biggest platform you have available to call it out??

Dolph1

Quote from: sid waddell on February 22, 2019, 01:20:52 AM

LOL
I do love how your alter-ego pops up at the most appropriate times to validate your claims or do your dirty work Eamonnca1

How convenient, right "Sid" ;)
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

Dolph1

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on February 21, 2019, 09:28:40 PM
1 - Most people who stay illegally in the US came in legally through ports of entry, mostly airports, and overstayed their visas. Don't tell Trump about aviation or he'll be asking for funds to build a roof.
2 - Net migration from Mexico is in negative numbers. More people are going back than coming in.
3 - If all undocumented people went back, wiping 30 million off the population,  the economy of this country would collapse. Fruit is already rotting in the fields for lack of pickers as we speak.
4 - The "go to the back of the line" crowd doesn't seem to realize that there's no line to go to the back of. Legal immigration to the US has been made all but impossible, it stands to reason that illegal immigration would take its place.
5 - It wasn't so long ago that "anyone who wanted to come here" could just do so. God knows the Irish were well able to take advantage of that, which I don't see many people here complaining about.  The idea that a government should have absolute control over who crosses its borders is a very recent idea. 
6 - It's a known fact that immigrants are less likely to commit crimes and more likely to start businesses than people born here.  The "immigrant threat" is a myth. The kind of people you really need to be scared of are the ones attending Trump rallies and stockpiling guns.

So to answer your question, I'm all in favor of open borders with only the bare minimum restrictions such as a background check.

Ridiculous as usual

Criminals will not be using ports of entry.
The myth of law abiding criminals is stupid. And it's got to the point where even Bob Menendez (D-NJ - the fat lad with a very dodgy past) says that DUI illegal immigrants aren't criminals.
Irish illegals should be deported same as everyone else. Stop using that as an excuse.
The economy wouldn't collapse if they left. You bring in a visa system for guest workers.

Won't somebody think of the fruit!!

Gmac

Quote from: HiMucker on February 22, 2019, 09:47:28 AM

(My emphasis.)

Should Jessie Owens have done it outside City Hall? Do you think that would have the same effect?
are u comparing kapernick to Jesse Owens get a grip I suppose Jussie Smollett is a modern day mlk

seafoid

Quote from: Gmac on February 22, 2019, 02:06:47 PM

(My emphasis.)

are u comparing kapernick to Jesse Owens get a grip I suppose Jussie Smollett is a modern day mlk
Smollet is like a human version of Brexit and the trump election win

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dolph1

Quote from: seafoid on February 22, 2019, 02:18:24 PM
Quote from: Gmac on February 22, 2019, 02:06:47 PM

(My emphasis.)

Smollet is like a human version of Brexit and the trump election win

I have to correct you

Smollet is the epitome of the democrat movement. Arrogance, stupidity with a total disregard for the truth and the consequences of his actions.

The Social Justice Warrior he claimed to be was all an act to grab more for himself and virtue signal at the same time as demonizing people who dare show you up as frauds.

It's just like dealing with a lot of you bucks on this board.