Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
GAA Discussion / Re: Gaelic Football RIP
« Last post by High Fielder on Today at 03:30:35 PM »
So the free car is a myth? The advertising and sponsorship is a myth? Come on. If Lee Chin can go semi pro in Wexford, I'd imagine the Dublin lads are well able to do so
« Last post by Rossfan on Today at 03:30:04 PM »
Having a free car makes paying other bills easier😉.
Also helps not being traipsed across country  cramped in a bus 2 or 3 times a week for training.
AIG v Bush Hotel or Glennon Bros.
Ok refs,  did the ref ride Monaghan v Tyrone??  Cheers

yip
« Last post by Gael85 on Today at 03:23:47 PM »
As I said, it's not a criticism, but football is the main thing in their life. The jobs they do facilitate that and good luck to them. They are semi professional and in some cases fully professional. That's a massive advantage

That just a myth. That not going to pay the bills. Obviously employers will facilitate players around match days but same goes any intercounty player from the top teams. Dublin have advantages in that all players work and live in Dublin which easier for training schedules.
GAA Discussion / Re: OTB - Omagh Bombing - Omagh GAA
« Last post by Rossfan on Today at 03:23:10 PM »
A shameful day.
« Last post by High Fielder on Today at 03:19:17 PM »
As I said, it's not a criticism, but football is the main thing in their life. The jobs they do facilitate that and good luck to them. They are semi professional and in some cases fully professional. That's a massive advantage
Tyrone / Re: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling
« Last post by TyroneOnlooker on Today at 03:14:43 PM »
Are many teams getting friendlies? with neighbouring counties in full swing with league and championship, they're not easy to come by unless you play within your own county. I doubt many div1 or 2 clubs want to play teams within their own league so then it's a matter of playing teams above or below you
GAA Discussion / Re: Dublin v Tyrone 2018 All Ireland Final
« Last post by Gael85 on Today at 03:14:36 PM »
The first really dominant team I was aware of was Shamrock Rovers in the early 80s. They were relentless. Along with the quality came the boredom. There have been a few other teams with the same features including Kilkenny. The Dubs have a bit of Frankenstein about them because in addition to the dominance is the funding difference that continues to make it possible.

The funding difference is a complete red herring. If it was so important why are the Dublun hurlers not dominating or even competitive? I presume they get the same funding advantage that you’re talking about.

Christ do people only gauge success in All-Irelands

As for hurling. seriously

6 Leinster Minors including this year and 3 runners-up in the last 12 years. Prior to that it was 1 in 40 years. They also added the Leinster A Schools this year.

4 Leinster u21s since 2007 and 2 runners up. Prior to that you have to go back to 1972.

1 Senior Leinster Title in 2013, 1st in 50 odd years.  They even won the National League for the 1st time 70 years in 2011.

Last 2 All-Ireland Club Championships.

The hurling success is not measured in All-Irelands but from where they were before Bertie's cash intervention supplemented by GAA money to now, is miles apart.

But you're right financial doping is a red herring...

A lot of that hurling success in Leinster was when Wexford/Offaly were in decline. Wexford have only got their house in order in recent years. With Galway entering Leinster at u21/minor Dublin won't have it as easy.

And what about Kilkenny during wexford/Offaly decline? Did they just vanish?

Kilkenny are still out in front in Leinster. Dublin got 2 AI Finals in minor and won nothing and lost a 1 u21 final.
Tyrone / Re: Tyrone Club Football and Hurling
« Last post by Keyboard Warrior on Today at 03:12:14 PM »
What date is the first round of Ulster Club?

21st October or 4th November
GAA Discussion / Re: Dublin v Tyrone 2018 All Ireland Final
« Last post by Applesisapples on Today at 03:10:35 PM »
The money helps but it is population size combined with the cash that has helped create this supremacy. Now we have AIG money, and as a sponsor why wouldn't you put all your cash into the Dubs.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10