Living here vs USA, 2015

Started by 50fiftyball, July 26, 2015, 08:12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: J70 on April 03, 2016, 08:02:31 PM
And its not just American cars. Plenty of foreign brands use red rear indicators in their US models.

And this is despite studies showing the amber ones are safer.

I noticed that Mercedes had a particularly ugly example.

There is a small reason for this, the US regulates the minimum size of lights, while civilised  other nations regulate the brightness. Making the indicator red just makes it easier to fit it all in.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

theskull1

Much in the news feeds about these Panama File leaks over there?

Fox, CNN (or Russia Today) not reporting anything worth talking about.....interesting
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

seafoid

I wouldn't fancy living in the US these days.
The rich have destroyed the economy. Healthcare is a ripoff. The media are desperate.  Politics are toxic.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

50fiftyball

What is the difference between getting a J1 Visa and just coming out on the 90 day visa you pay for on the ESTA Website? I was just looking it summed up briefly, lot of bullsh*t on those websites. Is having it any better off versus doing it the other way! Obviously the J1 Visa is aimed at students and I can apply for it, but few friends who aren't students are just getting this 90 day visa https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
If I'm just coming out on it and the club are providing a job for me (probably going to be labouring on site) can I still get a job in bars etc or do you need the social security number that's provided with a J1 Visa?
There just seems to be a lot of hassle registering for the J1 and they have to know where you're staying and be registered and all that jazz!

Would a bartender make as much money as your typical lad out for the summer on site?
I've fair bit of bar experience but I'll get by grand with the laboring I'm sure!

The Iceman

if you are coming out and the club is getting you a job thats the first thing you DON'T say when you enter the country. You're just here on vacation.  There is no harm in you getting the J1 it's a much safer legitimate route.  construction is your best bet - it's good money and handy hours.  Bar work isn't the same as home. It's all mixed drinks and I don't mean Vodka and coke. If you end up in a bar you'll be waiting tables not mixing drinks so stick to the construction. Get the J1 keep yourself right.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Quote from: 50fiftyball on April 06, 2016, 03:46:27 PM
What is the difference between getting a J1 Visa and just coming out on the 90 day visa you pay for on the ESTA Website? I was just looking it summed up briefly, lot of bullsh*t on those websites. Is having it any better off versus doing it the other way! Obviously the J1 Visa is aimed at students and I can apply for it, but few friends who aren't students are just getting this 90 day visa https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
If I'm just coming out on it and the club are providing a job for me (probably going to be labouring on site) can I still get a job in bars etc or do you need the social security number that's provided with a J1 Visa?
There just seems to be a lot of hassle registering for the J1 and they have to know where you're staying and be registered and all that jazz!

Would a bartender make as much money as your typical lad out for the summer on site?
I've fair bit of bar experience but I'll get by grand with the laboring I'm sure!

The J1 is a visa. The 90 period you mention is specifically NOT a visa. It's part of the visa waiver program and, as far as I know, is meant for tourism purposes only and you should not be working on it.

If you're caught working without a visa, you'll likely be booted out and not let back in for ten years.

armaghniac

If you are entitled to a visa then surely get one, even if it means filling a few forms. Getting cleared for a visa and complying with it will be helpful in the future too. The problem is that a job is needed in advance for a J1 nowadays and that would mean a legit job, I suppose. The 90 day thing is fine, but then the guy at the airport asks you what are you going to live on for 90 days or whatever and you are on thin ice or immigration show up at the site and you are banned from the US.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

50fiftyball

Cheers for the replies men, probably a stupid question but just wanted to clarify it.

gawa316

Quote from: cadhlancian on February 02, 2016, 06:59:07 PM
The Field

Right finally getting the opportunity to get down to San Diego at the start of February. Looking a hotel near the bar, I seen one called the The Horton Grand Hotel which looks a good deal at $160. Would you recommend any others?

Rois

Any of our USA-based friends know about personal banking over there (if you don't all work on a cash in hand basis  ;) )?
I'm trying to find out if, like here in the wee six, you can easily set up a standing order by instructing your bank to send the money somewhere on a regular basis on your behalf. 
Thanks

AZOffaly

Money Laundering is illegal Rois.

Rois

Haha - thinking of sending money from one bank account to another - nothing dodgy.

AZOffaly

Sure, from one bank account to another, via 5 accounts in the Caymans, Honduras, Cuba, Seychelles and Maldives.

Rois

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 31, 2017, 09:27:59 AM
Sure, from one bank account to another, via 5 accounts in the Caymans, Honduras, Cuba, Seychelles and Maldives.
Needs to route through Tyrone...

J70

Quote from: Rois on May 31, 2017, 08:43:15 AM
Any of our USA-based friends know about personal banking over there (if you don't all work on a cash in hand basis  ;) )?
I'm trying to find out if, like here in the wee six, you can easily set up a standing order by instructing your bank to send the money somewhere on a regular basis on your behalf. 
Thanks

We have them set up for bills, credit cards, student loans, mortgage, car loan etc., etc.

Think they call them "automatic payments" rather than "standing orders", but whatever the label, I don't see why you should have any problem. In my experience, they're simple to set up online. Similar, I would imagine, to setting it up back home.

I remember doing it more than a decade ago to pay off a Bank of Ireland loan from my UCD days and I think it was straightforward even then.