Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I know its often the way with minor teams that a lot fall by the wayside but that list seems hard to believe.

So do you think McKenna will make it this year? Like his dad he was a good fielder of the ball but seemed a bit slow or had no urgency from what I remember.

What about the big Omagh lad Grugan. Will he be back or has he gone too?
Will this Conlan lad make it this year? He looked good in the McKenna cup but haven't seem much of him since.

I know it's only March but who would your best 15 be at the moment?

blewuporstuffed

I'm not sure you ever really get many more than that through from a minor team to be honest.
There would be 3 regular starters barring injury (McNabb, Harte & Mattie Donnelly) and Mckenna, Mcniece & Coney have all played varying amounts of senior football.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

square_ball

If you look at the Mayo team that Tyrone beat that year then they only got 3 from it too (Hennelly, Keane and O'Shea). The Tyrone teams from 1997/98 were the exception to the norm with minors teams. I think all of that minor starting team from 2008 still play football barring the 2 errigal lads (though not 100% sure on that) and McNulty who I heard has retired although he has been one of the top forwards in Division 2 for the last 5 or 6 years.

GaelTheGael

2008 Final: TYRONE: T Harney; F McQuaid, G Teague, R Tierney (0-02); S MacRory, P Harte (0-01, 0-01 pen), R McNabb (0-01); N McKenna (0-02), R Keenan; C Gervin (0-01), D McNulty, M Donnelly (0-02); K Coney (0-05), P McNeice (0-03, 0-03f), C O'Neill (1-03, 0-02f).
Subs used: S Warnock for Teague (25-29 mins, blood sub), M Rogers for Keenan (47), K Mossey for MacRory (48), S Warnock for McNulty (49), B McGarvey for Tierney (78).

2010 Final: TYRONE: C Spiers; S McGarrity, C Clarke, HP McGeary; N Sludden (0-1), M Donaghy (0-1), E Deeney (0-1); H Óg Conlon (1-0), C Grugan (0-2); R Donnelly, T Canavan (0-1 free), R Devlin; S Tierney, J McCullagh (0-4), R Ó Néill (0-2, 0-1 free).
Subs: P McNulty for Donaghy (40), L Girvan for Devlin (48), D Donnelly for Tierney (54).

Out of the two minor winning teams we have brought through Peter Harte, Ronan McNabb, Mattie Donnelly, Niall McKenna, HP McGeary, Niall Sludden, Richie Donnelly, Ronan O'Neill, Conor Clarke and Padraig McNulty onto the current senior panel and all are set to play key parts in the coming year with the exception maybe of Clarke and McKenna.
10 Minors through to seniors with 8 of those being key players within the squad isnt the worst of returns.

GaelTheGael

Quote from: GaelTheGael on March 24, 2016, 06:44:07 PM
2008 Final: TYRONE: T Harney; F McQuaid, G Teague, R Tierney (0-02); S MacRory, P Harte (0-01, 0-01 pen), R McNabb (0-01); N McKenna (0-02), R Keenan; C Gervin (0-01), D McNulty, M Donnelly (0-02); K Coney (0-05), P McNeice (0-03, 0-03f), C O'Neill (1-03, 0-02f).
Subs used: S Warnock for Teague (25-29 mins, blood sub), M Rogers for Keenan (47), K Mossey for MacRory (48), S Warnock for McNulty (49), B McGarvey for Tierney (78).

2010 Final: TYRONE: C Spiers; S McGarrity, C Clarke, HP McGeary; N Sludden (0-1), M Donaghy (0-1), E Deeney (0-1); H Óg Conlon (1-0), C Grugan (0-2); R Donnelly, T Canavan (0-1 free), R Devlin; S Tierney, J McCullagh (0-4), R Ó Néill (0-2, 0-1 free).
Subs: P McNulty for Donaghy (40), L Girvan for Devlin (48), D Donnelly for Tierney (54).

Out of the two minor winning teams we have brought through Peter Harte, Ronan McNabb, Mattie Donnelly, Niall McKenna, HP McGeary, Niall Sludden, Richie Donnelly, Ronan O'Neill, Conor Clarke and Padraig McNulty onto the current senior panel and all are set to play key parts in the coming year with the exception maybe of Clarke and McKenna.
10 Minors through to seniors with 8 of those being key players within the squad isnt the worst of returns.
Forgot McCurry was an unused sub on the 2010 team which is another.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: GaelTheGael on March 24, 2016, 06:44:07 PM

When you look at the 2009 minor panel, you can see that the backbone of this squad is made up of the 2008-2010 minor sides as at minor in 2009 were:

Tiernan McCann
McNamee
Morgan
Tierney
McAliskey

Tyrone suffered a narrow defeat to Armagh at minor level in 2009, who went on to the capture the AI that year. If Ulster had a backdoor like the other provinces have then I'm pretty sure they would have been competing at the business end for an AI that year.

50fiftyball

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 24, 2016, 02:27:27 PM
I know its often the way with minor teams that a lot fall by the wayside but that list seems hard to believe.

So do you think McKenna will make it this year? Like his dad he was a good fielder of the ball but seemed a bit slow or had no urgency from what I remember.

Will this Conlan lad make it this year? He looked good in the McKenna cup but haven't seem much of him since.

I don't know what McKenna cup games you were at but I was at all of them and Conlan was v. poor, would have been one of the ones after the campaign I'd have looked at and said "didn't take his chance, he'll be one to go when the cut is made".

Tyroneforsam

Quote from: 50fiftyball on March 25, 2016, 03:36:47 PM

I don't know what McKenna cup games you were at but I was at all of them and Conlan was v. poor, would have been one of the ones after the campaign I'd have looked at and said "didn't take his chance, he'll be one to go when the cut is made".

I believe Conlon has already been dropped from the panel along with Patrick Quinn.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: 50fiftyball on March 25, 2016, 03:36:47 PM

I think Conlon was unlucky in that he was played out of position at wing forward and full forward but you do need to have versatility.

redhandefender

Quote from: Fuzzman on March 24, 2016, 12:31:04 PM
Just wondering what's the latest story with Niall McKenna?
I know he's been in and out of the panel over the years and had a few injuries but will we see him back in the team this year.

Actually looking at the 2008 AI winning minor team not too many made it through to the seniors.
Is McNabb sitting out the national league or where has he been this year?
Who was C.O'Neill at 15?

T Harney; F McQuaid, G Teague, R Tierney (0-02); S MacRory, P Harte (0-01, 0-01 pen), R McNabb (0-01); N McKenna (0-02), R Keenan; C Gervin (0-01), D McNulty, M Donnelly (0-02); K Coney (0-05), P McNeice (0-03, 0-03f), C O'Neill (1-03, 0-02f).

How many are you expecting to come through fella?? Theres be 7 minor teams since then. If yoou get 3 players to come  through as a regular key player you are doing well. Give me donnelly and harte out of a minor team every 2 years and no one else and i'd be happy.

Conlan looked very lathargic in the games i seen, don't think he suits the way we play, was slow at tracking back

GlenMan

I don't like to blame referee's for a result but on this occasion the ref was to blame a great deal. Still it doesn't really matter for us.

redhandefender

Just back from it, we were poor, they are awful, cant believe we threw that away. Conditions played a big part

GlenMan

Quote from: redhandefender on March 26, 2016, 08:52:47 PM
Just back from it, we were poor, they are awful, cant believe we threw that away. Conditions played a big part

Agree. Hampsey should have been off in the second half. Peter Harte a big miss. Mark Bradley missed a few easy chances. The list could go on.

tyroneman

The worst I have seen them in a long time, maybe on a par with second half Monaghan at the start of the NFL last year.

Hopefully makes them wake up and smell the coffee as the hype was getting stupid. Long way tongo yet before we are genuine AI candidates.

barelegs

While Tyrone weren't great I wouldn't get carried away just yet. To be honest most of them looked like they were going through the motions and even at that they should have had enough to win.

It was nowhere near as bad as the game against Meath in the qualifiers last year and within weeks they were 10 minutes from an All Ireland final. Oddly for the first 15 minutes of the second half it looked like they had abandoned the sweeper. It wasn't a game to take much from. The main worry was Peter Harte's injury!