Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Count 10

Can I just say a big thank you to all who have contributed to this topic, it's amazing to think you are on your own only to discover there are plenty in the same boat.
I hope all of us who are suffering with demons get the help we need, because life is for living and is much richer for having us all in it.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on October 26, 2013, 09:08:14 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 26, 2013, 09:06:09 PM
Quote from: BartSimpson on October 26, 2013, 08:53:56 PM
Well done and very brave. Not many talk about it and thousands more should. I know a few people with a similar type of depression as what you describe EamonM, and God knows theres several different types.

Have you tried a Seasonal adjustment light for the house you live in? I know when winter comes, some of them get very dpwn, until they start to use the light, and that gives them enough to see them through the dark days.

Another great crowd who can help and have a big link with the Dubs is Pieta house www.pieta.ie and I know a few peiple who use them. All volunteers too. Top people.

Best wishes to all here who are in dark times. there is hope

Good call, maybe we could do something for them charity-wise again?

A run?
A cycle?
A 5-aside soccer tournament?
A golf outing?

Something else?

A 7 aside GAA tournament?

Great idea BCB, could play it under lights and give people something to look forward to as the nights draw in?

Something that brought Alan O'Meara back from the brink and I would ask anyone reading this on here who finds themselves about to make that life ending decision is to imagine their parents, brothers, sisters, children, cousins, aunts, uncles, friends, friends of friends at their funeral and the utter distraught that their death will bring. Then once you step back from the cliff, read Conor Cusack's blog, watch his interview, pick up the phone, reach out to someone, anyone.

I've seen first hand the devastation caused by suicide and it is extensive. We lost my brother in law early last year and truth be told some semblance of normality is only returning now. Birthday celebrations have been replaced with the annual blessing of the graves, Christmas and Easter mornings are not complete now without a visit to the grave and the sense of loss is always there in the background.

So if you think people won't miss you, they will. If you think people will be better off without you, they won't. Reach out, don't give up.

Continued best wishes to those who suffer from mental illness and to those left behind as a result of it.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

squire_in_navy_slacks

Suffering about 19 years now..................panic attacks and then rolled in the depression, will talk more about it but lost a great job, and turned to the bottle to medicate the mind................................sober 3 and half years now, turned a corner there but its still with me every day

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on October 30, 2013, 06:41:14 PM
Suffering about 19 years now..................panic attacks and then rolled in the depression, will talk more about it but lost a great job, and turned to the bottle to medicate the mind................................sober 3 and half years now, turned a corner there but its still with me every day

Sent pm there, anyone suffering or coping with panic attacks has to read Claire Weekes books, i reversed the symptoms almost completely with her words and advice. Haven't had one in 3 yrs now.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Main Street

It must be some book if it got you through getting beat by London.

DrinkingHarp

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

theskull1

Have really enjoyed (if that the right: word???..I say it is) the detail (honesty) in this thread. Seriously insightful stuff.

Does anyone think it`s possible that to immunize the next generation by presenting to them coping strategies that they could employ come difficult times. (Or maybe I haven't a feckin clue).
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ballinaman on October 30, 2013, 11:32:53 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 29, 2013, 10:18:15 PM
2012 was one of the worst years I've ever had - from a personal health point of view. Thought about ending my life more than once. I was sick and tired of not getting anywhere with jobs/women etc. I felt like my friends were sidlining me by not asking me out with them...granted this happens now, but not to the same degree. I generally felt that the world would be better off without me around. To be honest, I don't know how I snapped out of it, maybe I wasn't deeply depressed for long enough, but it was scary.

I must have had at least 7 or 8 epileptic seizures last year too (not a lot - I know, but when you're only 24/25 you're wondering will you be like this for life etc). Maybe that added up as to why I was so down in the dumps, I don't know.

I still get an odd seizure. I was also born with a heart condition too, and that prevented me from playing football which would have had me as part of a team to share my problems with maybe... I feel like I'm rambling on here now so I'll stop, seen as it's a self-centred post.
Had no idea chief, fair play for putting it out there. I'll be down west a fair bit more in the new year so give us a shout whenever.

+ 1 Far anytime at all give us a shout. This is probably the best thread that I have read in all my years on the board . Will comment more later when I have more time.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Rudi

Its good to see so many people finally coming out and talking about this. Two of my family suffer from this. It would appear their is no cure, the sufferer has to learn to manage it on a daily basis. A good psychologist, listerner are the best sources of comfort.
On a personal level have got 3 bouts of chronic depression that lasted about 6-10 hours on 3 occasions over the last 10 years. No explaination just felt a lack of hope and on two of those times wanted to end it all for no apparent reason. I would have a lot to live for and outside of work am generally very happy, but always slightly anxious and can never be fully content in my own shoes. The 3 bouts were very strange, no drugs, alcohol or any apparent reason, it has given me a terrible insight into how a sufferer gets things on a daily basis. I wish all sufferers the very best and hope they find hope and light in their lives again.

ONeill

On a personal level have got 3 bouts of chronic depression that lasted about 6-10 hours on 3 occasions over the last 10 years.

Flip - didn't realise it could be in short spurts.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: theskull1 on October 31, 2013, 02:19:23 AM
Have really enjoyed (if that the right: word???..I say it is) the detail (honesty) in this thread. Seriously insightful stuff.

Does anyone think it`s possible that to immunize the next generation by presenting to them coping strategies that they could employ come difficult times. (Or maybe I haven't a feckin clue).
Was listening to Desert Island Discs in the car this morning and the guest was Prof. Tanya Byron a clinical psychologist you often see on tv in relation to behavioural issues in teenagers. She believes the situation is getting wprse due to extreme exam pressure where even a rake of A* grades might not be enough to get the course you want. Also, due to the perception (or reality depending on your view) that society is more dangerous now, children are growing up in a risk-averse bubble of sitting in the house watching tv, playing computer games or at best playing in the garden. Children aren't riding bikes to school, climbing trees and getting into the scrapes we would so we are bringing up a generation less able to cope with the harsh realities of the job market, rejection etc.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on October 31, 2013, 11:57:12 AM
On a personal level have got 3 bouts of chronic depression that lasted about 6-10 hours on 3 occasions over the last 10 years.

Flip - didn't realise it could be in short spurts.

Yea that is amazing it can come at you like that. It is hard to have developed a coping mechanism for something you don't normally have to cope with.
MWWSI 2017

rodney trotter

Show on tonight, TV3, 7:30.. interview with Cavan Goalie Alan O Mara who had dealt with depression http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=203771

seafoid

Conor Cusack on Prime time last night

http://www.rte.ie/player/ch/show/10217449/
at around 43 mins

He did a powerful job.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Eamonnca1

What I didn't expect from starting this thread was to see how widespread this is. It seems like we've all either suffered from it or know someone who has. Seems to be more common than I'd have imagined.