China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wee Roddy

So just to clarify in Spain there is no work? This is what I thought but my line manager has told me otherwise and that a lockdown does not involve manufacturing and the like closing down. It is so unclear and frustrating as I for one would rather have my health and my families health than come in to earn a quid

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Wee Roddy on March 23, 2020, 11:03:37 AM
My understanding of it is that Michelle O'Neill is calling for this so I am assuming the directive has to come from Boris as Arlene is against it.
Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Then O'Neill should come straight out and say "Im for increased testing and tracing, but Arlene is against it. Therefore we cannot proceed."

That'll pile the pressure on.
i usse an speelchekor

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on March 23, 2020, 11:14:43 AM

Oh I absolutely agree you, people don't know what to be doing because Boris, Arlene and Michelle have absolutely fucked the messaging. But there are also plenty of otherwise intelligent people who think taking the dog for a walk is fine as long as you don't bump into or engage with other people and don't consider any other exposure they leave themselves or others open to. None of these people have a clue what's going to happen if an actual lockdown is in place.

You are allowed to walk a dog in Spain within 200 metres of your residence.
By and large walking should be encouraged, it is people gathering in one place that is the problem.

Quote from: gallsman on March 23, 2020, 11:23:47 AM
My sis lives in New Zealand. They've just had they're first two cases of "non-imported" Covid-19. Country immediately in lockdown.

Fortunately, Boris does not run the northern part of their country so they have every chance of bringing the pox under control.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

JohnDenver

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 23, 2020, 11:18:34 AM
Quote from: JohnDenver on March 23, 2020, 10:58:39 AM
Quote from: gallsman on March 23, 2020, 10:03:10 AM
The lockdown can be pretty much instantaneous. The emergence from that lockdown will obviously have to be slow and staggered. No doubt the Irish attitude to that in Day 1 however will be "sweet, I'm going down the pub for a rake of pints".

In case people don't get it, here are some things you can't do during lockdown at it is in Spain and Italy:

Go for a walk
Take the kids out for fresh air
Visit family
Visit friends
Go to the park
Go shopping as a family
Go for a jog round the block
Take the dog out as an excuse to go for a walk

All these self righteous c***ts on Twitter banging on about how they're "social distancing" don't have a f**king clue what's about to hit them. "Oh I went for a walk up Cavehill with the dog, but it's ok, I made sure I stayed 2m away from everybody"

With regards this - i can see your point, but I also think it's somewhat confusing the information supplied. We are getting the stay 2 metres apart thing, so where is that applicable to?  I'm sure a lot of people are just out to clear the head for a walk and still trying to be adhering to distancing etc. Of course there will always be eejits who can't be told and will go ahead as normal.

If there was a total lockdown like you mentioned above in Spain and Italy, how does it work for getting food or shopping supplies - is it somehow monitored per household, or time?

Oh I absolutely agree you, people don't know what to be doing because Boris, Arlene and Michelle have absolutely fucked the messaging. But there are also plenty of otherwise intelligent people who think taking the dog for a walk is fine as long as you don't bump into or engage with other people and don't consider any other exposure they leave themselves or others open to. None of these people have a clue what's going to happen if an actual lockdown is in place.

Here in Spain, one person is allowed to go out at a time, for one of six or seven key reasons, most prominent of which is to purchase food or medical supplies or attend a critical medical appointment. As an example of what that means, my wife is due to have a 16 week checkup with the midwife next week. That's been cancelled. As we're also in the private system, she was due for a 16 week scan. Cancelled.

From today, anyone out and about is supposed to print and carry a certificate explaining who they are, where they live, where they're going and why. Police never the power to fine you on the spot. For serious breaches, you can get fines of tens of thousands and a year in prison.

This is the level we need.

The least we need is clear instructions of do's and don't's. If it's in black and white then people can't argue, and be reprimanded if needs be for not adhering to it.

With regards the testing and tracing, from what i gather MON and SF are pushing for this, as is being advised by WHO - but the tory-lites in Foster, Weir and Swann are blindy loyal to the crown and we will undoubtedly pay for this shit show.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: JohnDenver on March 23, 2020, 11:30:52 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on March 23, 2020, 11:18:34 AM
Quote from: JohnDenver on March 23, 2020, 10:58:39 AM
Quote from: gallsman on March 23, 2020, 10:03:10 AM
The lockdown can be pretty much instantaneous. The emergence from that lockdown will obviously have to be slow and staggered. No doubt the Irish attitude to that in Day 1 however will be "sweet, I'm going down the pub for a rake of pints".

In case people don't get it, here are some things you can't do during lockdown at it is in Spain and Italy:

Go for a walk
Take the kids out for fresh air
Visit family
Visit friends
Go to the park
Go shopping as a family
Go for a jog round the block
Take the dog out as an excuse to go for a walk

All these self righteous c***ts on Twitter banging on about how they're "social distancing" don't have a f**king clue what's about to hit them. "Oh I went for a walk up Cavehill with the dog, but it's ok, I made sure I stayed 2m away from everybody"

With regards this - i can see your point, but I also think it's somewhat confusing the information supplied. We are getting the stay 2 metres apart thing, so where is that applicable to?  I'm sure a lot of people are just out to clear the head for a walk and still trying to be adhering to distancing etc. Of course there will always be eejits who can't be told and will go ahead as normal.

If there was a total lockdown like you mentioned above in Spain and Italy, how does it work for getting food or shopping supplies - is it somehow monitored per household, or time?

Here in Spain, one person is allowed to go out at a time, for one of six or seven key reasons, most prominent of which is to purchase food or medical supplies or attend a critical medical appointment. As an example of what that means, my wife is due to have a 16 week checkup with the midwife next week. That's been cancelled. As we're also in the private system, she was due for a 16 week scan. Cancelled.

From today, anyone out and about is supposed to print and carry a certificate explaining who they are, where they live, where they're going and why. Police never the power to fine you on the spot. For serious breaches, you can get fines of tens of thousands and a year in prison.

This is the level we need.

The least we need is clear instructions of do's and don't's. If it's in black and white then people can't argue, and be reprimanded if needs be for not adhering to it.

With regards the testing and tracing, from what i gather MON and SF are pushing for this, as is being advised by WHO - but the tory-lites in Foster, Weir and Swann are blindy loyal to the crown and we will undoubtedly pay for this shit show.

Stormont does not work

larryin89

I think controlling a lockdown in 26 is more of an issue than people think , there are people who would see a lockdown as great opportunity to engage in all kinds of criminality, do we even have the personnel to control the scum of society , Marx terminology the " Lumpenproletariat" of society .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Some fkn scumbags knifing each other in Ballinasloe and taking up valuable Hospital time.
As for Stormont as someone above said it just doesn't work.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gallsman

Quote from: Wee Roddy on March 23, 2020, 11:26:10 AM
So just to clarify in Spain there is no work? This is what I thought but my line manager has told me otherwise and that a lockdown does not involve manufacturing and the like closing down. It is so unclear and frustrating as I for one would rather have my health and my families health than come in to earn a quid

Anyone who can work from home has to work from home, government order that companies are obliged to follow.

Italy has now taken the next step and is shutting all non essential businesses.

Quote from: armaghniac on March 23, 2020, 11:30:03 AM
You are allowed to walk a dog in Spain within 200 metres of your residence.
By and large walking should be encouraged, it is people gathering in one place that is the problem.

Walking should not be encouraged at all. It is not necessary. People can pace their house or garden, do exercises via YouTube etc. If it's not necessary, it shouldn't be done. It just increases risk.

Walking the dog and allowing them to their business is fine. The problem is people use the dog as an excuse to get out themselves. Also, people in Belfast still think taking a drive to get to Cavehill to take the dog walking is fine. It's not.

armaghniac

Quote from: gallsman on March 23, 2020, 12:02:43 PM
Walking the dog and allowing them to their business is fine. The problem is people use the dog as an excuse to get out themselves. Also, people in Belfast still think taking a drive to get to Cavehill to take the dog walking is fine. It's not.

Driving your car to somewhere where are few people is perfectly responsible.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

gallsman

Quote from: armaghniac on March 23, 2020, 12:05:02 PM

No it's not, because you know what? Other people like to do that too. All you are doing is heightening the risk, no matter how small you think.

five points

Quote from: gallsman on March 23, 2020, 12:07:38 PM

No it's not, because you know what? Other people like to do that too. All you are doing is heightening the risk, no matter how small you think.

Entering a supermarket is a far bigger risk than any walk. Asda in Omagh on Friday night was a disgrace, groups of oul fellas with no pub to go to loitering and chatting in the narrow off-licence aisle and nobody there to hunt them on, nor a sign nor precaution to be seen anywhere.  If this is the best that one of the world's biggest retailers can do, there's no point in blaming people for getting out for some fresh air.

gallsman

Quote from: five points on March 23, 2020, 12:13:15 PM
Quote from: gallsman on March 23, 2020, 12:07:38 PM

Entering a supermarket is a far bigger risk than any walk.

Yes, but you need to eat to survive and in order to do so, need to purchase food. Not everyone can do this fisting Amazon Pantry or similar. You don't need to go somewhere to go a walk.

Again, here in Spain shops are now limiting the number of people who can enter at any one time, there are gloves and hand sanitizer on entry, those queuing to pay or to get into the shop are standing several metres apart and, if not, are let know about it pretty sharpish. I imagine it's similar in Italy and France.

general_lee

NI outside of 3 conurbations is largely rural so how do you impose a lockdown? Is it just towns and cities? What about farmers? The border?

tbrick18

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 23, 2020, 11:27:00 AM
Quote from: Wee Roddy on March 23, 2020, 11:03:37 AM
My understanding of it is that Michelle O'Neill is calling for this so I am assuming the directive has to come from Boris as Arlene is against it.
Maybe someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Then O'Neill should come straight out and say "Im for increased testing and tracing, but Arlene is against it. Therefore we cannot proceed."

That'll pile the pressure on.

If she does that we'll  have all the Green vs Orange comments about it only being a matter of time before all these useless people in stomount reverted to type.

Personally, I think we (by we I mean UK and Ireland) should following WHO advice to the letter. Testing and isolation at mass levels. I honestly believe we are not doing this due to a combination of shortages of tests, ability to process the tests and a reluctance to spend the money.
I heard a comment this morning on the radio saying that we can't lock down like China as we are not a communist state. There's probably something in that.

Boris is useless. I fear that the advice he's getting is from his own cronies (Cummings, medical advisor etc) and I fear that he's so mentally bound to the approach of trivialising issues and spouting stiff upper lip rhetoric that he can't make any objective serious decision.
Here in NI, we probably have to follow suit of UK as finances for what we can do will be dictated by the UK approach. If we want to go a different way, we probably have to fund that ourselves and given our legal standing I'm not sure how we can source the finance required to do that.

This is unprecedented times and even if we had competent, strong leaders mistakes would be made.
Given the state of the leaders we have, even more mistakes will be made and should be expected from everyone.

I'm honestly scared stiff by the whole situation. I've a squad of young kids, a school teacher wife a neurological condition, a father with stage 4 cancer and ongoing lung problems and a mother with mobility issues.
I'm actually having trouble getting some basics like nappies and bog roll. I'm not stockpiling....but starting to feel like I need to due to the behaviour of others and a fear that I might not be able to get out to get supplies to feed my family.

Then people on here are sniping at other for having different opinions on what should and should not happen.

Get some perspective people and realise that everyone is looking at this from a different angle. Everyone I know is seriously concerned about this. Everyone has a view on what should be done....they can't all be right. Perhaps my view is wrong. None of us "know" what the right thing to do is.
Perhaps instead of sniping, we should be offering each other help.

five points

Quote from: gallsman on March 23, 2020, 12:16:48 PM
Quote from: five points on March 23, 2020, 12:13:15 PM

Entering a supermarket is a far bigger risk than any walk.

Yes, but you need to eat to survive and in order to do so, need to purchase food. Not everyone can do this fisting Amazon Pantry or similar. You don't need to go somewhere to go a walk.

You don't have to hang around the offlicence area of a supermarket with your drinking buddies in order to survive.

Smaller shops and filling stations are observing protocols to minimise Covid 19 risk. Asda aren't bothering. They need to be made bother.