The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSpiritof98

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 17, 2018, 11:56:42 PM
There are still serious issues with the ability of teams even as bad as England to score tries almost at will down the wings.  Luckily some of these attacks were messed up by the attacking side but quite a few were successful.

Today showed again that there are irish players who cannot be depended on to defend the open spaces in the wings and at times the opposition is easily able to effect two or three on one situations with ease.

Stockdale for all of his ability to score a try is a very poor defender and is often left flapping at thin air as attackers run past him. Also Ringrose was left in the same situation at least twice today and on a number of occasions against Scotland.  All the hype on Ringrose ignores his poor tackling when wrong footed especially when  the attackers are coming at speed. 

Schmidt is a lucky coach and that is great. Sexton's drop goal, playing McFadden, Stockdale's breakaway try, the poor Scottish passing in scoring positions, rejuvenation of Kearney, England only able to play with intensity, simplicity and speed in the last 15 minutes of games and no major refereeing decisions going against them.

All those one off events that only occur some of the time all came together for Ireland, any one of them failing would have made major changes to the overall result.

Jesus Christ what did Jeremy Cornyn do on you. 3 grand slams in our history, ffs chill out

ONeill

Just don't like rugby.  Something about rugby people that bothers me.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on March 18, 2018, 12:47:24 AM
Just don't like rugby.  Something about rugby people that bothers me.
Shoulder to shoulder O'Neill.

I used to be like that (about "rugby people", I have always liked rugby) until the wains went to rugby and then I realised the problem was mine, not theirs.

sid waddell

The notion that Ireland are the second best team in the world is nonsense. Heard it all before in 2007, 2009 and 2014/15. It wasn't true then and it isn't now.

New Zealand obviously, Australia almost certainly and South Africa probably, are all more likely to win a World Cup than Ireland.

England will get it together again next year, Wales under Gatland tend to peak for World Cups and France showed signs of improvement this year and could be a lot better next year.

Ireland did what they had to do in this tournament and fair play to them for that but the dice was loaded in their favour after the British Lions tour. England's players are mostly knackered since then and are flogged by their clubs in a way Ireland's players aren't. Wales had an extensive injury list and will be reasonably happy with their lot this year.

Irish rugby cant have it both ways. We constantly hear about how the IRFU manage their players very well, and that's true - they do - the players are not flogged and generally get the optimum recovery time between matches. The Pro 14 is basically a player management exercise for most of the season.

But that means Ireland have an inbuilt advantage during an average Six Nations, and even more so in the ones the year after a British Lions tour.

That inbuilt advantage disappears at a World Cup, when the other teams have a chance to finally get their players fit and ready.

Most of the other top rugby countries have a history of raising their game a level at a World Cup. Ireland always seem to drop a level in comparison.

Until Ireland reach at least a World Cup semi-final, they are not breaking any new ground. And the road to a semi-final will have to go through either New Zealand, or more likely South Africa in a quarter-final.

I wouldn't be putting much money on them passing that hurdle.

quit yo jibbajabba

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 17, 2018, 11:56:42 PM
There are still serious issues with the ability of teams even as bad as England to score tries almost at will down the wings.  Luckily some of these attacks were messed up by the attacking side but quite a few were successful.

Today showed again that there are irish players who cannot be depended on to defend the open spaces in the wings and at times the opposition is easily able to effect two or three on one situations with ease.

Stockdale for all of his ability to score a try is a very poor defender and is often left flapping at thin air as attackers run past him. Also Ringrose was left in the same situation at least twice today and on a number of occasions against Scotland.  All the hype on Ringrose ignores his poor tackling when wrong footed especially when  the attackers are coming at speed. 

Schmidt is a lucky coach and that is great. Sexton's drop goal, playing McFadden, Stockdale's breakaway try, the poor Scottish passing in scoring positions, rejuvenation of Kearney, England only able to play with intensity, simplicity and speed in the last 15 minutes of games and no major refereeing decisions going against them.

All those one off events that only occur some of the time all came together for Ireland, any one of them failing would have made major changes to the overall result.

Jesus christ. Just won a grand slam. 3rd time ever? 2nd time in my/your life time. And all u can do is cime out with this shit? Go take a look at yerself chap. Maybe dont watch the game if it annoys u this much. Tinternet was made for and ruined by arseholes like you

Syferus

It's crazy to think I was nearly twenty before I saw Ireland win even a Six Nations but now we have four titles in nine years and two Grand Slams in the same period, doubling what we'd achieved in our entire history before that. The rugby lads should be rightly proud of themselves tonight. Rugby is our #1 representative sport now.

bannside

Giving the English a kick up the hole is always good. To do it twice (and so publicly too) in the space of a few days ( (Cheltenham too) is even better.  Great week to be Irish.

charlieTully

Quote from: Syferus on March 18, 2018, 03:14:28 AM
It's crazy to think I was nearly twenty before I saw Ireland win even a Six Nations but now we have four titles in nine years and two Grand Slams in the same period, doubling what we'd achieved in our entire history before that. The rugby lads should be rightly proud of themselves tonight. Rugby is our #1 representative sport now.

Good job. It's not like you will ever see Roscommon win an All Ireland. Haha ya p***k.

An Watcher

Really surprised at the negativity on here from Irish people.  Jesus Christ celebrate, it's only our third ever grand slam.  Teams need luck to win these things, I remember new Zealand beating France in the world cup final a few years back and really riding their luck.  There was no doubt they were the best team in the tournament and France has struggled to the final.
Congratulations to the team, Joe Schmidt and the IRFU for doing what they are doing especially when the pool of players to choose from is so much smaller than England and France.  Well done.

seafoid

Quote from: sid waddell on March 18, 2018, 01:12:18 AM
The notion that Ireland are the second best team in the world is nonsense. Heard it all before in 2007, 2009 and 2014/15. It wasn't true then and it isn't now.

New Zealand obviously, Australia almost certainly and South Africa probably, are all more likely to win a World Cup than Ireland.

England will get it together again next year, Wales under Gatland tend to peak for World Cups and France showed signs of improvement this year and could be a lot better next year.

Ireland did what they had to do in this tournament and fair play to them for that but the dice was loaded in their favour after the British Lions tour. England's players are mostly knackered since then and are flogged by their clubs in a way Ireland's players aren't. Wales had an extensive injury list and will be reasonably happy with their lot this year.

Irish rugby cant have it both ways. We constantly hear about how the IRFU manage their players very well, and that's true - they do - the players are not flogged and generally get the optimum recovery time between matches. The Pro 14 is basically a player management exercise for most of the season.

But that means Ireland have an inbuilt advantage during an average Six Nations, and even more so in the ones the year after a British Lions tour.

That inbuilt advantage disappears at a World Cup, when the other teams have a chance to finally get their players fit and ready.

Most of the other top rugby countries have a history of raising their game a level at a World Cup. Ireland always seem to drop a level in comparison.

Until Ireland reach at least a World Cup semi-final, they are not breaking any new ground. And the road to a semi-final will have to go through either New Zealand, or more likely South Africa in a quarter-final.

I wouldn't be putting much money on them passing that hurdle.
Given the size of the players, the force of the hits ,the anti inflammatories and the concussion, injuries are the new x factor. Injuries are increasing in frequency and duration.
Ireland have a well balanced squad and some very good players. But they have to win a qf.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Wildweasel74

They are the 2nd best team in the world right now; who knows about 18months time! South africa and the aussies are crap right now and we beat them! Win a grand slam and all people can do is look at the negatives! Sad fucks!!

Itchy

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 18, 2018, 08:54:51 AM
They are the 2nd best team in the world right now; who knows about 18months time! South africa and the aussies are crap right now and we beat them! Win a grand slam and all people can do is look at the negatives! Sad f**ks!!

Are we the 2nd best team as the standard has dropped elsewhere or have we really many world class players? Serious question, I know feck all about rugby.

thewobbler

Quote from: Itchy on March 18, 2018, 09:01:13 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 18, 2018, 08:54:51 AM
They are the 2nd best team in the world right now; who knows about 18months time! South africa and the aussies are crap right now and we beat them! Win a grand slam and all people can do is look at the negatives! Sad f**ks!!

Are we the 2nd best team as the standard has dropped elsewhere or have we really many world class players? Serious question, I know feck all about rugby.

Ireland have been in the running for 2nd best team in the world for 10+years. England, Wales, Aus, SA have all popped their heads ahead for a while. Now it's Ireland's turn. Staying there for any length of time comes down mainly to injuries and partly to form.

whitegoodman

We have world class front row, back row and half backs.  The rest revolves around a world class coach.

johnnycool

Winning aside, Schmitt has been able to increase his pool of players with Stockdale, James Ryan, bundi aki and the other big centre coming in and adding something to the team.
Carbery is still a fair bit off but he's capable and will improve accordingly.