2012 USPGA Championship

Started by whitegoodman, August 07, 2012, 08:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitegoodman

Any thoughts?

Course hasn't been played by most of the players which should make things interesting.  Supposed to get very windy and play like a links course.  Also supposed to favour the big hitters with wide
fairways.

Bubba
Louis
Dustin
Padraig
Graeme

laoislad

Did I hear correctly that there are no bunkers on this course?

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Puckoon

There's bunkers and lots of "waste land" - sandy areas, not sure how the rules will govern them.

I'm not sure about Padraig's chances. I followed him at the weekend around the Reno Tahoe Open and he just wasn't playing any kind of golf that might shoot low scores. Not to mention is putter seems very cold.

That said, it'd be great to see him win.

whitegoodman

Apparently all bunkers are being treated as waste ground, ie grounding of club and practice swing allowed.

Small ew on padraig due to wide fairways, his links record and his record in majors in us this year.

You are right though, more likely to be a big hitter that wins it.

laoislad

Had this anything to do with Dustin Johnson grouding his club on sand/waste ground at 2010 PGA?
Probably best to define what is and isn't a bunker before tournament starts.

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Puckoon

That's weird you can ground your club and practice swing - there are a few greenside bunkers evident on the tour of the course.

http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/course/tour/1

maco

My bets for the weekend - Dustin Johnston, Matt Kucher and Brandt Snedeker. 2 each way shouts - JJ Henry and Paul Lawrie.

stephenite

Duffner has to be close for a major.

Rossie11

Its 7,700 yards long so the likes of Dustin Johnson, Webb Simpson. Mcilroy and Bubba and been backed all week.
From reports its similar to Whistling straits where  Kaymer won from Bubba and Johnson grounded the club in 2010.

Have done these few for interest
Bill Haas 80/1
Ryan Palmer 125/1
Carl Pettersson 150/1
Ogilvy 100/1
Harrington 60/1

First round leaders
DJ & VJ

Brick Tamlin

Robert Karrlson     200-1
Peter Hanson        125-1
Ian Poulter             80-1
Martin Kaymer        66-1
Jim Furyk               50-1
Zach Johnson         50-1
Padraig Harrington 40-1
Matt Kuchar           33-1

screenexile

Had to do Luke Donald E/W again as he's pulled it out of the bag for me on a couple of occasions to get my money back.

Also have Adam Scott on the nose as I think he will do a McIlroy and bounce back from a major defeat. . . should be a good tournament and I'm looking forward to it.

heganboy

one of the things about the PGA this year is that the greens are an unusual type of grass. The thing about this is the other place its used is the bears club, which is the home of many top pros in Florida. Including Keegan Bradley, Luke Donald, Dustin Johnson, and renting there for the year, Mr McIlroy.

Have a look at some of the property there...
http://www.jeffrealty.com/bears-club

I like this one for a cool $12.9M

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

stew

Quote from: laoislad on August 07, 2012, 08:32:22 PM
Had this anything to do with Dustin Johnson grouding his club on sand/waste ground at 2010 PGA?
Probably best to define what is and isn't a bunker before tournament starts.

That's the thing though, it was deemed a bunker, his caddie and himself actually failed to read a notice taped to his locker that explained, in detail the rules regarding the bunkers at the course.

I have played that course three or four times and that is one of the first things the caddies tell you so that was on Johnson and his caddie, everyone else got the memo.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

sammymaguire

Done McIlroy, Poulter 80's, Goosen 125's and Pat Perez @ 300/1 all each way.

Was gonna do Pettersson at 100/1 so where did you get the 150/1 Rossie11?? I didnt in the end, went for Poulter instead...  :-\

Weather looks alot more favourable today and Tiger started off brightly
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Minder

Harrington just sunk an 80 footer for an eagle on #2.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"