Antrim, the way forward

Started by Milltown Row2, October 30, 2015, 09:53:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bannside

You're coming across all anti SV Culchie. I'm not their spokesman but feel energised by the fact that for once there is genuine interest in these positions,  and that, as is evidenced by this thread and others, that people do actually care for a change.

Surely the old saying keep doing the same and you will get the same results has particular relevance in this case. Time for fresh faces and new vision, new leadership and new energy.

That way we just might get a bit of respect at provincial and national level where we have zero credibility at the minute. That's where we must take the fight.

culchie11

so u think a chairman who has to look to either side of him to provide answers to questions is the way forward?!
what happens when pinky & the brain are no longer there to hold hands & the vision has to see for themselves!!
doesnt give me hope!

u talked about correct info being circulated to clubs, well the sv candidate for cultural officer should take a wee look at his!

im sure there will be more pr for sv before the big day, as long as they let the right ppl face it up!
i know v little of the chairman elect & would honestly like to hear what he has to say, not his buddies, about our county!

bannside

Give me a chairman all day long who, if not sure will have the confidence in himself to check left and right before trying to look like a smart arsed know all. Especially that is, if there is a good calibre team sitting at the top table. As I said before, we need a chairman who knows both how to lead and when to delegate. But mist of all earn a new respect level for Antrim and further afield ehich is sadly missing at present. Plus be able to entice a couple of dozen good people to come forward and work at county level - where most wouldn't be seen dead in recent years. That's what I see as the three priorities for a new chairman, not necessarily having every answer to every problem at his fingertips, trying to look clever!

And why try to diminish the great work of Tony and Dick (and a few others) who are totally passionate about trying to get a bit more professionalism working at board level. As businessmen they clearly see that what has gone before has failed us miserably.

Colin Donnelly will have plenty to say I'm sure when this is all over!

culchie11

The thing is the two u named won't be at the top table!
U r a good spin doctor I will give u that Bannside.
U always try to make even the biggest weakness a positive.

How have u never managed our county team as u must do a great interview!
Do u need to be a business man to do that job also lol

Is it true that if the main position is not filled by sv then the whole delegation will withdraw their names from process?!

Milltown Row2

Lads look closely at your club, who within your club pulls the strings and makes things happen?? Is it the Sec, chairman or treasure?? Ultimately they have to have a good working relationship but generally (this is just from my own experience) there is one guy who pulls the strings, command's respect and gets things done... Good luck to all
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

podge

The idea of a number of people getting together and running for elections with a shared vision is one I would subscribe to, particularly when you look at the failings of the current set up.  I do however get the distinct impression that the SV guys have been thrown together at the last minute.  I am not sure a lot of them even knew each other prior to a few weeks ago and I am unconvinced that they really have a well debated and advanced vision at all.  It smacks a bit of opportunism on the part of some of them and a bit of change for change sake.

Having said that, given where we are,  I would support change and would be willing to give some of them a shout at it. But I don't think its a case of one in all in- I would look at the merits of each candidate for each position and would not blindly back SV.

And my main bug bear, if the recent outburst by TR in the voicemail is an example of how he wants to conduct himself or Antrim affairs in general, I would have him nowhere near the place.  If I was one of those on the SV ticket I would have asked him to remove himself from the nominations.  I am not even sure I have seen any sort of apology but I could be wrong.

bannside

There are lots of very good and capable administrators working at club level. Just look at the large capital projects and ground developments up and down the county. I sit on our club committee and marvel at the work being done by a group of club men who come from a range of professional backgrounds. As a result I am confident we will end up with one of the best set ups in the county in the next few years.

But the point is its being handled by people who know what they are doing. Surveyors, builders, people who understand the tendering process etc. Then we set up a fundraising committee and  with excellent leadership by a couple of accountants, we have well over £100k raised in a matter of weeks. That's one small club and there are many other who have done the exact same thing.

St Brigids had 1400 people at the Whitla Hall last Saturday night for a club event and raised nearly that amount too. Again it was a very thorough professional set up from start to finish.

Big question is....Why are these great gaels club men and administrators not stepping up to the plate at county level?

Answer.....Because they feel that there is nowhere near enough professionalism there. It is seen (rightly or wrongly) as a collection of individuals who are there by default, but who wouldn't be let near some of the big jobs in their own clubs.

Perception or fact, I'll let you be the judge of that.

That's the basis of Saffron Vision. It's an attempt to entice a few new faces, some but not all professionals and proven businessmen to go together to try to improve Antrim.

Is that really so bad?

bannside

Culchie I wouldn't like to try to guess at what those two men have contributed financially to the GAA, both at club and county level, either personally, or by their business sponsorship. I wish this county had many more like them.

If SV initiative fails, or at the very least a few of the main positions are not filled by them, then I really do worry that this could be their last stand.

podge

Quote from: bannside on November 19, 2015, 08:47:34 AM
There are lots of very good and capable administrators working at club level. Just look at the large capital projects and ground developments up and down the county. I sit on our club committee and marvel at the work being done by a group of club men who come from a range of professional backgrounds. As a result I am confident we will end up with one of the best set ups in the county in the next few years.

But the point is its being handled by people who know what they are doing. Surveyors, builders, people who understand the tendering process etc. Then we set up a fundraising committee and  with excellent leadership by a couple of accountants, we have well over £100k raised in a matter of weeks. That's one small club and there are many other who have done the exact same thing.

St Brigids had 1400 people at the Whitla Hall last Saturday night for a club event and raised nearly that amount too. Again it was a very thorough professional set up from start to finish.

Big question is....Why are these great gaels club men and administrators not stepping up to the plate at county level?

Answer.....Because they feel that there is nowhere near enough professionalism there. It is seen (rightly or wrongly) as a collection of individuals who are there by default, but who wouldn't be let near some of the big jobs in their own clubs.

Perception or fact, I'll let you be the judge of that.

That's the basis of Saffron Vision. It's an attempt to entice a few new faces, some but not all professionals and proven businessmen to go together to try to improve Antrim.

Is that really so bad?

I agree that should be the basis of Saffron Vision and therefore why I would have supported it as a concept.  However (i) I get the distinct impression its all been cobbled together a bit last minute and (ii) the antics of some (one) of them are hardly what you would describe as professional or anything close to it.  An own goal scored if you ask me and the SV tickets should have ousted him to get some credibility

bannside

That point is well made Podge and won't be lost on the electorate. That vote will be close too amd if TR loses out he will know the reason why. But my understanding is that overall SV group will be happy enough with three or four positions. Though the big two are chairman and treasurer. If those two don't get in then I would be fairly certain the initiative will not be deemed successful, and other SV tickets may not want to hang around in a similar coiste bainisti to previous years.

The Memory Man

Podge, I can assure you Antrim Vision have been in the planning quite a while and certainly have not been cobbled together in the last few weeks.  Some of these people tried almost two years ago to get something up and running with regards to fundraising along the lines of what Bannside is talking about, but then the Casement debacle unfolded, they decided to shelve the plans as it was felt there was no way they could ask anybody or any business to support Antrim GAA with the present incumbents in situ.  There is and never was any credibility with the present administration. 

With regards to TR's rant, knowing the man and his passion for the GAA and Antrim in particular I would put it down to frustration, nothing else, yes he was wrong and he subsequently apologised.  Let him without sin cast the first stone!  As for his refereeing skills, I always thought he was a tube, but that's another story  ;)

Saffron Vision has to be the only show in town, if all our club's delegates cant see this, then we deserve all we get and the Irish News will have a field day with Antrim GAA filling their column inches.  I cant believe for a minute any of these votes will be close.

I would also hope that if BrendanBelfast wins the PRO job, that he would get Sean Kelly on board with him, clearly a guy with a passion and a vision.  The work he has done with Belfast Hour alone would prove what a benefit he would be to any administration, and I'm sure there is a role for him on some sub-committee, for we need all the positive press we can get.

Roll on the 7th Dec and the beginning of a new era, we are at rock bottom, the only way is up.  :)

Aontroim Abú

brendanbelfast

"I would also hope that if BrendanBelfast wins the PRO job, that he would get Sean Kelly on board with him, clearly a guy with a passion and a vision.  The work he has done with Belfast Hour alone would prove what a benefit he would be to any administration, and I'm sure there is a role for him on some sub-committee, for we need all the positive press we can get."

No issue there at all and in fact I have discussed this with Sean. If he wins, he'll do a great job I have no doubt. If I make it, I'll be asking Sean to join a PR sub committee right away. He knows that.

Have to say too that our ongoing tour of clubs is a very encouraging experience. We have had a great welcome all round the county and in some way this probably amounts to the deepest and most comprehensive survey of clubs ever undertaken. Extremely worthwhile and - if we are successful - those opinions, observations, passionately made points on key issues, will inform how we set about our task. I have no doubt that notwithstanding a few ruffled feathers, this whole undertaking has been refreshing for our County and will prove to have been beneficial.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: shoebox on November 22, 2015, 10:08:28 AM
I haven't been posting in a while and I apologise for this one being negative but I'm suspicious of candidates from clubs with very poor internal structures or candidates from clubs who need all hands on deck internally going for county board positions. That to me reeks of careerism and ego-driven agendas.

While it mightn't be the fault of their own that their clubs are struggling, surely if they have so much enthusiasm for hard work, they should pump it all into their failing clubs.

Explain failing? A club in lower divisions? Single code club, team with poor juveniles? For some clubs it is what it is, tradition, location, demographics... Having a club were these are 'poor' could be seen as an achievement against a struggle?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

hurlingstick

Quote from: The Memory Man on November 19, 2015, 02:47:40 PM
Podge, I can assure you Antrim Vision have been in the planning quite a while and certainly have not been cobbled together in the last few weeks.  Some of these people tried almost two years ago to get something up and running with regards to fundraising along the lines of what Bannside is talking about, but then the Casement debacle unfolded, they decided to shelve the plans as it was felt there was no way they could ask anybody or any business to support Antrim GAA with the present incumbents in situ.  There is and never was any credibility with the present administration. 

With regards to TR's rant, knowing the man and his passion for the GAA and Antrim in particular I would put it down to frustration, nothing else, yes he was wrong and he subsequently apologised.  Let him without sin cast the first stone!  As for his refereeing skills, I always thought he was a tube, but that's another story  ;)

Saffron Vision has to be the only show in town, if all our club's delegates cant see this, then we deserve all we get and the Irish News will have a field day with Antrim GAA filling their column inches.  I cant believe for a minute any of these votes will be close.

I would also hope that if BrendanBelfast wins the PRO job, that he would get Sean Kelly on board with him, clearly a guy with a passion and a vision.  The work he has done with Belfast Hour alone would prove what a benefit he would be to any administration, and I'm sure there is a role for him on some sub-committee, for we need all the positive press we can get.

Roll on the 7th Dec and the beginning of a new era, we are at rock bottom, the only way is up.  :)

He was equally disrespectful to players time and time again as a referee. Bad PR for the vision with this candidate on-board.

paddyjohn

Quote from: hurlingstick on November 22, 2015, 07:22:19 PM
Quote from: The Memory Man on November 19, 2015, 02:47:40 PM

He was equally disrespectful to players time and time again as a referee. Bad PR for the vision with this candidate on-board.

"He was equally disrespectful to players time and time again as a referee. Bad PR for the vision with this candidate on-board."

Agree, passionate GAA men are the Sean McGurks, Alec Emersons or Dessie Donnellys of this world, not somebody who time and time again has let himself down a bagful by slabbering!