inter-county squads

Started by finbar o tool, July 08, 2015, 04:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finbar o tool

just wondering, what goes on in other counties in regards to squad members and if they are all stuck with county regardless of the game time they get?

what i would like to see happen is to allow, lets say, 10 or 12 players from the county squad who dont really get game time but who are obviously needed for a 30 man squad and training etc, to play with their respective clubs while training with the county team.
i think its a bit mad, and unfair on 'fringe' players, who don't get game time with the county, to also be banned from game time with their club. pick 17 or 20 players who are not allowed hurl with the club and let the rest hurl. if a few injuries crop up then call a couple of players back to county only when required.

i understand the club championship games are played at different times in different counties, just curious of the different set ups in different counties?

word of the day... #different  :D
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

waterfordlad

Waterford senior club matches were played up to about 2/3 weeks before Munster final but I think once you're on a inter county senior squad even if you're only making up the numbers in training you won't play club games any closer than 2 weeks before a championship match. I'd imagine most counties are the same.

MoChara

Bound to be awfully demoralizing to play well enough for your club that you get to County and then not get any games because you're stuck in the middle, I'd say Finbars idea is fair enough have your first 15 and most prevalent subs kept free from Club hurling but give the others the game time with Club, can only improve the players

Esmarelda

Quote from: finbar o tool on July 08, 2015, 04:25:30 PM
just wondering, what goes on in other counties in regards to squad members and if they are all stuck with county regardless of the game time they get?

what i would like to see happen is to allow, lets say, 10 or 12 players from the county squad who dont really get game time but who are obviously needed for a 30 man squad and training etc, to play with their respective clubs while training with the county team.
i think its a bit mad, and unfair on 'fringe' players, who don't get game time with the county, to also be banned from game time with their club. pick 17 or 20 players who are not allowed hurl with the club and let the rest hurl. if a few injuries crop up then call a couple of players back to county only when required.

i understand the club championship games are played at different times in different counties, just curious of the different set ups in different counties?

word of the day... #different  :D

I'd have thought the problem with your suggestion is that if you tell x number of players they can play with their club during the intercounty season you're pretty much telling them that they're not important players.

Players on the panel need to know that they're in with a fighting chance of game time. This would only serve to demotivate them.

finbar o tool

surely getting no hurling at all would demotivate them more?!

at least if they are hurling with their clubs they are improving and given the opportunity to impress also. i know here in Laois we had subs on the panel who wouldn't even be togged out properly at intercounty Championship matches, tracksuit and runners is all, and yet they are not allowed to play with their club?!
madness if you ask me.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy