Murder of a GAA Chairman

Started by SouthOfThe Bann, April 22, 2024, 10:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

I remember at the time it sent chills through the whole  nationalist community. Just listening to Talkback and Trevor Birney talking about and how attacking someone like Sean Brown was a deliberate ploy as he was decent and could not be associated with any paramilitary organisation. It was purely to put fear and Terror through a whole community by striking at its centre.

We had just won the AI and had beaten Bellaghy in the Ulster final before Christmas 1996. There was a crew of us living in Belfast and we had close relationships on and off the field with a lot of the Bellaghy lads. It struck hard. I remember travelling home at the time and we regularly changed out pick up spots etc. Going to matches in Lurgan and that was always a concern as well. How the f**k was that normal? 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 23, 2024, 02:19:48 PMI remember at the time it sent chills through the whole  nationalist community. Just listening to Talkback and Trevor Birney talking about and how attacking someone like Sean Brown was a deliberate ploy as he was decent and could not be associated with any paramilitary organisation. It was purely to put fear and Terror through a whole community by striking at its centre.

We had just won the AI and had beaten Bellaghy in the Ulster final before Christmas 1996. There was a crew of us living in Belfast and we had close relationships on and off the field with a lot of the Bellaghy lads. It struck hard. I remember travelling home at the time and we regularly changed out pick up spots etc. Going to matches in Lurgan and that was always a concern as well. How the f**k was that normal? 

Unfortunately we normalised it at the time and adopted

My dad handed me the book The Shankill butchers when it came out

Made me read it before I headed out that weekend, needless to say that put the willies up me for that period of heading out! 
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 23, 2024, 03:00:44 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 23, 2024, 02:19:48 PMI remember at the time it sent chills through the whole  nationalist community. Just listening to Talkback and Trevor Birney talking about and how attacking someone like Sean Brown was a deliberate ploy as he was decent and could not be associated with any paramilitary organisation. It was purely to put fear and Terror through a whole community by striking at its centre.

Made me read it before I headed out that weekend, needless to say that put the willies up me for that period of heading out! 

Remember getting stopped in Armagh late on a Friday night on the way to a game. 4 of us in the car. Pulled to the side of the road. Brit starting getting mouthy.  Starting looking to do strip searches on the side of the road. Shoes off,  belts off, open trousers....go f**k yourself. An hour later still there. You often wonder....

AustinPowers

Quote from: general_lee on April 23, 2024, 12:33:23 PMLooking back, it's really disturbing the things that went on. The LVF weren't active (militarily) for long but were able to engage almost seamlessly in a sectarian campaign against the Catholic population. Its two senior leaders conveniently topped, one of whom was a suspect in Sean Brown's murder. It's almost as if the LVF were allowed to exist until they outlived their usefulness.

Yeah,  sounds like it

paddyjohn

The RUC were total scumbags as are the current version of the PSNI. We are just sh!t on their shoes!

Tony Baloney

I watched some of it last night but after seeing Mrs. Brown talking about going up to the pitch with a torch at 2.30am and the peelers coming to the house I didnt have the stomach for the rest of it as I knew it would be another wretched story of the senseless murder of a good man. It's right up there with the most senseless of all of the killings by puppets on strings that reached all the way to Whitehall. I'll give it another go at some stage.

paddyjohn

Absolutely horrible book. Really tough. I read the book called committee. Really opened my eyes as a teenager growing up.

Only policeman you trust is a dead one.

marty34

Quote from: paddyjohn on April 23, 2024, 09:11:45 PM

Absolutely horrible book. Really tough. I read the book called committee. Really opened my eyes as a teenager growing up.

Is that book still available?

Saffrongael

Quote from: marty34 on April 23, 2024, 10:04:15 PM

Is that book still available?

Yeah on Amazon

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

paddyjohn

AustinPowers

Is that the  one by Sean mcPhilemy?

tbrick18

Haven't read the Shankill butchers but did read the committee.
Certain well know  car dealerships at the fore.
If I remember right they have the oath taken by orange order members in the back cover too.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: tbrick18 on April 24, 2024, 12:45:04 AM

Haven't read the Shankill butchers but did read the committee.
Certain well know  car dealerships at the fore.
If I remember right they have the oath taken by orange order members in the back cover too.

McPhilemy later had to retract on any involvement by those two and it cost him a few quid too from recollection. It was very messy as Trimble also took them to court too I believe. Must be 30 years ago!

Captain Scarlet

Only got to watch it last night. I am fully aware of how things were, but when you see it laid out in front of you it still shocks you.

They are an amazing family with no hate in them. It's justice pure and simple they want. It's very unfortuntae that the current shower are in Westminster so long as whatever hope for something being done will be stopped by them.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Rossfan

It was indeed.
"Taigs" were getting uppity, GAA teams winning things, needed to be "put back in their place".
Brit security elements obviously didn't want any moves towards ceasefire or peace either.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM