Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

McVitty and Moynagh gone for the year next year I am told. Gone travelling.

rodney trotter

McVeety was suppose to be gone for 4 months. He said he'd be back middle of league, whether that's changed or not.

rodney trotter

Poor performance from Castlerahan today in Breffni. It took them 18  minutes before their first score, for a team with 3 weeks preparation that's not good enough.  Glenties started very sharp and extra games were helping them. Castlerahan had an open goal in the first but Flanagan over hit the pass.. Leahy made a great save at the other end They faded in the last 15 minutes of second half and castlerahan came more into it.  Mackey was sluggish when he came on. Sean Brady showed wellgood when he came, but wasn't good performance over all.

Glenties County players were good, especially the 2 Thompsons.

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 03, 2019, 04:41:22 PM
Poor performance from Castlerahan today in Breffni. It took them 18  minutes before their first score, for a team with 3 weeks preparation that's not good enough.  Glenties started very sharp and extra games were helping them. Castlerahan had an open goal in the first but Flanagan over hit the pass.. Leahy made a great save at the other end They faded in the last 15 minutes of second half and castlerahan came more into it.  Mackey was sluggish when he came on. Sean Brady showed wellgood when he came, but wasn't good performance over all.

Not surprised, Cavan club football is way off where it needs to be to compete. Even after Glenties replays and lack of prep, the bookies still had them as strong favourites. Says it all.

marty34

Quote from: Itchy on November 03, 2019, 05:49:06 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 03, 2019, 04:41:22 PM

Not surprised, Cavan club football is way off where it needs to be to compete. Even after Glenties replays and lack of prep, the bookies still had them as strong favourites. Says it all.

Yeah, that's shocking after what NC have went through and how poor Castlerahan were.

When was Cavan final played?  Was it too much of a break but they should be fresh.  Poor showing.

rodney trotter

It was played the week before the first drawn Donegal Co final. Essentially Naomh Connail had 3 competitive games while Castlerahan were training and playing a challenge game. If Castlerahan had won today, it would have been Glenties were tired. Castlerahan weren't good enough,end of, 7 behind at one stage in second half. NC then tired and went a long period without scoring, before Anthony Thompson clinched it at the end..

I think if both teams had same preoperation,NC would still win by 4 or 5.

Itchy

Outside of the tiredness and sharpness debate, NC would have had no chance to do any assessment of castlerahan while castlerahan would have had two games to watch NC. That should have been a big advantage but doesn't look like it.

rodney trotter

Yeah, Keoghan was at the 3 Donegal finals. Castlerahan came out like a team heavy legged, while Glenties were sharp. It took Castlerahan 18 minutes efore the first score. They should have had how some idea how to break the defence of Glenties.

Castlerahan wouldn't have many well known players outside of Cavan, but Glenties were probaly planning for Mackey and he only came on in second half..

marty34

Quote from: rodney trotter on November 03, 2019, 06:09:49 PM
It was played the week before the first drawn Donegal Co final. Essentially Naomh Connail had 3 competitive games while Castlerahan were training and playing a challenge game. If Castlerahan had won today, it would have been Glenties were tired. Castlerahan weren't good enough,end of, 7 behind at one stage in second half. NC then tired and went a long period without scoring, before Anthony Thompson clinched it at the end..

True, if Castlerahan won, people would have said NC were shattered and if NC won, it was that were battle hardened - funny how it works.

I wonder will all the heavy legs catch up on NC the next day even though they have a good break?  Sometimes it works like that.

redzone

Quote from: marty34 on November 03, 2019, 08:30:44 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on November 03, 2019, 06:09:49 PM

True, if Castlerahan won, people would have said NC were shattered and if NC won, it was that were battle hardened - funny how it works.

I wonder will all the heavy legs catch up on NC the next day even though they have a good break?  Sometimes it works like that.
Never in the history of sport has anyone had heavy legs 2 weeks later.
If clontibert beat them it will be because they are better
Was the glenties doctor playing mind games I wonder

Look-Up!

3 big drop outs from the panel for next year. It's unfortunate but at least they have given management fair warning of their intentions and are not leaving mid way through the season. I had hoped we'd be pushing for promotion again this term but at this stage I'd be very happy with keeping our D2 status next year.
Long term it may prove to be a blessing in disguise when/if they return to the panel. You'd hope in the meantime we'll see some of the younger players step up to the plate and capable of taking on greater responsibility and on-field leadership duties, something lacking against the better teams. It's a sink or swim scenario and I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. It's a big if though.
Last time we had a few players leave in Mattie's second season in charge, despite all the doom and gloom at the time, it was mostly fringe players who hadn't really cemented a permanent starting place in the team. We still had the core of our team relatively intact and a few of the younger lads thrived. This time, despite some of the criticisms these lads have gotten their way, they are a huge part of the core of our team. Added to that, Mackey and Martin Reilly are a couple of years older. Johnston is unlikely to feature. Think McKiernan may be missing for a good bit of the league too. So it's going to be a tough baptism for a lot of these lads and some of the more seasoned D2 teams might see this team as a soft touch and an opponent that can be physically bullied out of a game.
We'll see what the first few games bring. Mickey mentioned getting strength and conditioning up to speed as a priority. Hopefully we see some bearing fruit early in this department. I think we'll need it.

Itchy

I'm sorry but this doesnt happen in counties that are serious about winning. There is a deficiency in our players, they dont want to do what is needed to succeed (which is their right).

I wonder what a dedicated stalworth like Martin Reilly thinks, hence few years left to win that Ulster and these boys pretty much have made sure that wont happen this year.

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on November 27, 2019, 07:38:43 PM
I'm sorry but this doesnt happen in counties that are serious about winning. There is a deficiency in our players, they dont want to do what is needed to succeed (which is their right).

I wonder what a dedicated stalworth like Martin Reilly thinks, hence few years left to win that Ulster and these boys pretty much have made sure that wont happen this year.

Winning Ulster? Realistically we are a marquee forward, a free taker and a total of about 5/6 positions short of being a team of real contenders for Ulster. Short of that we would need a massive slice of luck to land the Anglo Celt cup.
These 3 lads are a massive loss especially for the league which has been a happier hunting ground for us over the last few years but as far as championship goes, without more help, these lads are not winning an Ulster medal. Too many players go missing in the hard games. If they feel burned out then you have to respect that, hope they go away and find the gra again. It's not ideal granted and for a small county the loss will be more pronounced but plenty of top players walk away for a bit. Some with AI medals in their pockets. It's a huge commitment playing IC and the grass might look greener on the other side. But it's a very short career so hopefully they miss it badly when they're away and are chomping at the bit to come back.
In the meantime we have to get on with it and be positive. It's a chance for more players to step up to the mark when the chips are down. It's going to be physical and tough in the league next year and there are now less hiding places on the field. If the voids are filled then long term we could end up with a stronger team.

Itchy

Quote from: Look-Up! on November 27, 2019, 10:17:31 PM

Winning Ulster? Realistically we are a marquee forward, a free taker and a total of about 5/6 positions short of being a team of real contenders for Ulster. Short of that we would need a massive slice of luck to land the Anglo Celt cup.
These 3 lads are a massive loss especially for the league which has been a happier hunting ground for us over the last few years but as far as championship goes, without more help, these lads are not winning an Ulster medal. Too many players go missing in the hard games. If they feel burned out then you have to respect that, hope they go away and find the gra again. It's not ideal granted and for a small county the loss will be more pronounced but plenty of top players walk away for a bit. Some with AI medals in their pockets. It's a huge commitment playing IC and the grass might look greener on the other side. But it's a very short career so hopefully they miss it badly when they're away and are chomping at the bit to come back.
In the meantime we have to get on with it and be positive. It's a chance for more players to step up to the mark when the chips are down. It's going to be physical and tough in the league next year and there are now less hiding places on the field. If the voids are filled then long term we could end up with a stronger team.

It's a vicious circle. When you start to think and believe like you say above then you will win  nothing. I've bo doubt our mentally weak players think exactly like that and that's why they leave like this. Dessue Moan retured today after 16 years I think with Monaghan. That's why monaghan win a few Ulster's and we win  nothing. Sickens me to say it

Look-Up!

Quote from: Itchy on November 27, 2019, 10:54:09 PM
Quote from: Look-Up! on November 27, 2019, 10:17:31 PM

It's a vicious circle. When you start to think and believe like you say above then you will win  nothing. I've bo doubt our mentally weak players think exactly like that and that's why they leave like this. Dessue Moan retured today after 16 years I think with Monaghan. That's why monaghan win a few Ulster's and we win  nothing. Sickens me to say it
Eh. I was in Clones for both of Dessie's triumphs. Without Conor McManus I'd say he'd be retiring empty handed and may have done so long before now. That's not to say he's not a great stalwart. He deserves his successes and played a vital role in those victories but McManus was unreal, especially the second day.
I don't like labeling our players mentally weak either. Everyone hits their wall at some stage and going up against bigger counties with bigger talent pools the bar is naturally going to be higher. There's no shame in meeting your match. I wouldn't be too quick either to question their commitment. They sacrifice a hell of a lot. If there's better players in the county let them stand up.