Is the end of the Union in sight? (It may well be but then again…)

Started by Lar Naparka, April 30, 2011, 03:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebigfella

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 27, 2011, 10:42:04 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on May 27, 2011, 10:36:45 AM
In fact the best beef they buy is from south America and lately north America. The quality of Irish produce is myth.

Grain fed cattle from the Americas? No way on earth is that superior to grass fed cattle, not a prayer.

Not all the cattle is grain fed or finished (I believe they call it).

Evil Genius

Quote from: armaghniac on May 26, 2011, 11:48:42 PMUnionism has a choice, it can cling to a sectarian 17th century colonial vision which Britain has now basically apologised for.
That would be the same 17th century Unionism which has embraced the 1998 Good Friday Agreement, then?  ::)

Quote from: armaghniac on May 26, 2011, 11:48:42 PMIt can stay in a union where the other partner couldn't care less and even despises their regressive political philosophy.
"I will never be neutral when it comes to expressing my support for the Union" - David Cameron, in a speech to Unionists, Belfast, Dec. 2008

Quote from: armaghniac on May 26, 2011, 11:48:42 PMIt can continue in the present, rather sad, situation where any sign of economic progress North or South is unwelcome as it might undermine the good Union.
Have I got this straight?
"Unionists don't want to see NI thrive economically, because that would weaken the Union?"  :o

Quote from: armaghniac on May 26, 2011, 11:48:42 PMOr people of British heritage can make their way in 21st century Ireland just as people from Poland, China, Brazil and Nigeria do.
People of British heritage (or plain "British people") are making their way in 21st Century Northern Ireland  quite happily, as are people from Poland, China*, Brazil and Nigeria etc. And Irish people, too, for that matter.

Once again, you fail to get the point. Unionism doesn't have to do  anything in order to remain in the Union, other perhaps than to continue to contribute towards the good governance of NI, so that the large majority of people (increasingly including people from a Nationalist/Catholic background) are happy to go on living in NI.

* - I don't hear eg Anna Lo demanding Irish Unity too loudly from the platform...
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 27, 2011, 11:01:13 AM
so better food, higher wages, more options for jobs (non civil service) - as well as undoing an illegal undemocratic partition- theres a few answers for Hardy as to why the alaskans are better off in a reunification !! :D
Well that's me convinced, then!

Where do I sign up for my place in paradise?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

Quote from: thebigfella on May 27, 2011, 11:24:05 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 27, 2011, 10:42:04 AM
Quote from: thebigfella on May 27, 2011, 10:36:45 AM
In fact the best beef they buy is from south America and lately north America. The quality of Irish produce is myth.

Grain fed cattle from the Americas? No way on earth is that superior to grass fed cattle, not a prayer.

Not all the cattle is grain fed or finished (I believe they call it).
Off topic, I know, but by far the best steak I have ever had, or ever will have, was in Colorado. It was grass fed (and not at all expensive, either). Despite it being an inch and a half thick, I could have eaten it with a spoon!

By contrast, a couple of years back I was on holiday in Ireland for a few days, first up around Derry, then over in Donegal. I particularly recall a steak I had in a bar/restaurant near Buncrana(?), not for its quality, which was probably OK, but for its price, which they wouldn't have asked in London or Paris! In fact, I was generally shocked by the cost of touring/holidaying in ROI (as opposed to visiting, passing through etc). And it wasn't all down to the £/€ exchange rate, either.

Oh and unlike Lynchbhoy, I didn't notice any great difference in the standard of my breakfast eggs after I crossed the border.

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"