National Hurling Legue 1B 2018

Started by redsetanta, October 13, 2017, 04:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman

Disappointing performance today.

Offaly were worthy winners; they probably let us off the hook as it really could have been 10+. I think Offaly will ship a couple of heavy beatings in Leinster but I wouldn't be surprised to see them make one big shock.

Our substitutions were frankly baffling. To be fair to Eamon Kelly, we need a couple of selectors in there who are familiar with the Laois Senior Hurling Championship; having one is inadequate. I appreciate that certain players could be flying in training but we got match-ups wrong today and I felt we played into Offaly's hands.

All isn't lost; a win at home next week will see us safe and into a quarter-final. A big ask but manageable.

Dave like the tv channel

I know it doesn't necessarily translate, but our results (apart from the Offaly game (1pt diff)) have been better than the Dublin results.

Plus we'll be at home.
Plus we're going for six-in-a-row v the Dubs in the league.

I'd be hopeful of a win. The worry is our size, but then again, what's new?

hurlingmad

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on February 26, 2018, 08:18:35 AM
I know it doesn't necessarily translate, but our results (apart from the Offaly game (1pt diff)) have been better than the Dublin results.

Plus we'll be at home.
Plus we're going for six-in-a-row v the Dubs in the league.

I'd be hopeful of a win. The worry is our size, but then again, what's new?

I'm very optimistic that the lads can dig deep and pull it off against Dublin considering their current situation, home advantage has been very good to teams this year

SpeculativeEffort

redsetanta

Jack Nolan and his co-commentators were scratching their heads over some of the substitutions like Dunphy but particularly the taking off of Foyle. Looking at Foyle in previous games he doesn't get enough of ball hit into him and is forced to come looking for it. Jack Nolan also said that with the wind behind them in the firt half there were no balls sent into the full forward line for the likes of Foyle and the other forwards to contend.

Any opinions from lads that were at the game?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on February 27, 2018, 10:02:38 AM
Jack Nolan and his co-commentators were scratching their heads over some of the substitutions like Dunphy but particularly the taking off of Foyle. Looking at Foyle in previous games he doesn't get enough of ball hit into him and is forced to come looking for it. Jack Nolan also said that with the wind behind them in the firt half there were no balls sent into the full forward line for the likes of Foyle and the other forwards to contend.

Any opinions from lads that were at the game?

I often feel that Jack and I have been watching two different games, whether it is a football match or a hurling match. In the first half we had a huge amount of possession in the forwards but couldn't score. We should have been 7 or 8 points in front after 15 minutes but were level on the scoreboard. Same in the second half, no shortage of possession but mistakes meant that we turned the ball over or drove bad wides.

In all the matches this year the forwards have had more than enough possession. This is a big improvement on last year when we couldn't win a ball. Huge progress has been made on how we handle puck outs from our own keeper and we are much better at battling on the ground and picking up scraps.

The problem for me was what we do with the ball when we have it. Foyle and all our forwards have been guilty this year of fumbling or easily losing hard won possession or making bad decisions. I always thought Neil's most dangerous attribute was his ability to do damage once the ball is in his hand but returns so far this year have been poor from him and I'm sure nobody more than him knows this. In general we are taking too much out of the ball, trying to be much too elaborate and moving it on too slowly. Countless examples against Offaly of trying a 5 yard handpass and losing the ball rather than creating a yard of space and striking the ball. Ross King lost a world of ball as did Ben Conroy.

I think the substitutions were mixed. Hartnett got a knock so had to be replaced. Eric Killeen was having a poor game by his standards. Young Comerford struggled to get on any ball. I did think it was a huge risk to try young Quinlan at full back for his first senior inter county experience against Joe Bergin. I would have left Leigh on him even though he was getting a torrid time. After that we were 8 or 9 points down and it was a matter of trying things such as bringing on Cian Taylor and Paddy McCane.

Giovanni

Would generally agree with Blueandwhite. I was quite disappointed with the showing on Sunday overall.

I probably haven't seen as much of the hurling as other people on here but I do think there is a clear improvement in first touch, winning ball on the ground, feeding decent ball to the forwards, etc. Having said that there is still too much fumbling especially amongst the forwards but to be honest I could hardly feel my own hands sitting in the stand on Sunday so maybe there's some excuse.

The full back line wasn't as good as previous games although Lee Cleere was superb again. Matthew at centre back has been very good in the last two games and midfield were on top. We missed at least 4 or 5 scoreable frees (not including the three 21 yard frees at the end) and, as Blueandwhite says made a few bad shooting/passing decisions in the forwards when better outcomes were possible. Cha surprisingly didn't have a good game at all but I guess it does take a while to get back to full speed after these injuries.

I think the general consensus in the stand was that some of the substitutions were strange - moving Leigh Bergin to the wing back position and removing Neil Foyle altogether didn't seem to make a lot of sense given the way the game was going.

Overall though, I still think there are grounds for optimism. A lot of lads are getting their chances and noone is letting the side down. Competition for places should be strong when everyone regains fitness.

SpeculativeEffort

There were only 3/4 points in it when the odd substitutions started. Quinlan cannot really be blamed. A young lad with very little experience anywhere near this level and it was unfair on him. The last two games I felt our wing backs have not been aggressive enough in the air. Countless times the ball was only half contested or contested with little aggression and the ball passed thru putting full back line under more pressure. Kelly seems to want our backs to work the ball out and this backfired in first half with possession being turned over and fouls committed. Direct ball to King, Foyle and Cha would have worked better in my opinion.

merman

Going for Quinlan over Joe Phelan was a hard move to understand. I like Quinlan and he's a good size of a lad so I can kind of see the logic but he was thrown in the deep end completely. It was a gamble that was very high-risk.
Matthew Whelan or Podge Lalor to go back in were much more sane moves in my opinion. I know Leigh Bergin had his hands full but he was doing ok in any case.

Joe went on to hurl for Camross in the Palmer Cup straight after; wouldn't be overly surprising if he didn't return to the panel. A pity as I, for one, have championed his inclusion for a good few years now.

Giovanni

It would be a real shame if lads started dropping off the panel. In fairness, a lot of lads have been given a chance in the games so far and everyone has had games in challenge matches and the like. Hopefully, everyone will stick with it despite the disappointment of Sunday.

burdizzo

I'd say we haven't played them in the league for at least 10 years. Not since our paths diverged, shall we say.
Looks like we won't be playing them this weekend, either!

redsetanta

Quote from: merman on February 27, 2018, 07:05:11 PM
Going for Quinlan over Joe Phelan was a hard move to understand. I like Quinlan and he's a good size of a lad so I can kind of see the logic but he was thrown in the deep end completely. It was a gamble that was very high-risk.
Matthew Whelan or Podge Lalor to go back in were much more sane moves in my opinion. I know Leigh Bergin had his hands full but he was doing ok in any case.

Joe went on to hurl for Camross in the Palmer Cup straight after; wouldn't be overly surprising if he didn't return to the panel. A pity as I, for one, have championed his inclusion for a good few years now.

merman, do you know if Joe Phelan was back with the panel during the week? Hopefully Kelly can re-assure him that he has plenty to give to Laois hurling for the season ahead. We will need a good panel with all the games that will be played.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

merman

Quote from: redsetanta on March 05, 2018, 11:26:42 AM
merman, do you know if Joe Phelan was back with the panel during the week? Hopefully Kelly can re-assure him that he has plenty to give to Laois hurling for the season ahead. We will need a good panel with all the games that will be played.

I don't and I actually regret suggesting anything. Joe is a good hurler and a good lad to have around the panel; I'm sure he was frustrated the last day but having stuck with the panel through the hard winter training; I'd be hopeful he'll stay involved for the Tier 2 Championship and a shot at Croke Park. We'll need a panel; he wouldn't be the type to let anyone down!

redsetanta

Any news from the panel? Any injuries?

It would be a huge reward for the players efforts if they could beat Dublin on Sunday. They didn't do themselves justice against Offaly, players or management, but they have the chance to get it right this weekend.

It would be a fantastic boost if we could get the win.