Would a GAA County Team Reciprocate Liverpool FC's Dunboyne Jersey Gesture?

Started by IolarCoisCuain, April 28, 2018, 05:13:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would a GAA County Team Reciprocate Liverpool FC's gesture of hanging a Dunboyne jersey in their dressing room in reversed circumstances?

Of course
7 (9.6%)
Never
11 (15.1%)
How is this even a question?
33 (45.2%)
Cahill Must Go
22 (30.1%)

Total Members Voted: 73

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on May 01, 2018, 07:41:22 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 01, 2018, 04:47:55 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on May 01, 2018, 04:01:28 PM
Quote from: seafoid on May 01, 2018, 03:35:07 PM
Henderson wrote that putting the jersey in the dressing room was a sophisticated gesture.
That was a strange word to use. But it was classy.

Where did he say it was sophisticated?  I saw the letter and he says it was a small gesture, and subtle.
sorry, he did say subtle. Why did he say it was subtle? I thought it was a strange choice of word

You didn't even know what the word was.
Yes but it was very classy.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

supersub

Quote from: 02 on April 29, 2018, 02:24:19 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on April 29, 2018, 02:16:53 PM
Quote from: supersub on April 29, 2018, 03:50:52 AM
Anyone who saw the scenes between Crossmaglen and Cullyhanna recently would know that both supporter and player violence is very much going on in our game.

As someone who was involved in the whole thing don't got caught up in thinking that what went on at that game and what happened on Tuesday night are in anyway comparable. One event was a 3-4 minute burst of madness in reaction to an incident, the other was a premeditated organised group of attackers. The culture round violence at a GAA match and what happened in Liverpool can be summed up though by the fallout of our game last week. Even though there was a lot of aggression last week, on and off the field,  I took our u12s to Cullyhanna yesterday, less than a week after it, and had a vey sporting game with not a cross word between players, management and supporters, all of whom would have been at the game the previous week and some involved in what happened, myself and my brother in law being 2 and he is a coach as well as I am.

Des Cahill is an Idiot for his comment and he should actually be shown the road. There was absolutely no need for it.

Agree with all of this BC! Trying to create controversy, very poor choice of incident.

Not trying to create controversy, strange choice of phrase.

I wasn't comparing the two incidents. And I won't go any further than that.

thejuice

While it was a stupid tweet I don't someone should lose their job over it. Freedom of speech means freedom of stupidity too. However unfortunate that may be at times. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for Des to take the high road though.

It's rather laughable when people react to tweets as "incredible" or "outrageous" or "shocking". It's like we've all become emotionally incontinent, of course the situation hasn't been helped by mainstream media, sensationalist alternative media and the universal megaphone of social media. 
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

I think Des was going for the 'for all the abuse soccer gets, the self-righteous GAA would never do this if the shoe was on the other foot' angle.
Basically, if a Dublin-supporting English man was attacked by Mayo fans, while standing outside Gills, would the Dubs find out which local soccer team he was involved with back in England and hang their jersey in the dressing-room?
I guess we will literally never know.
Anyway, he picked a strange hell to die on, if you ask me.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

easytiger95

Quote from: Jinxy on May 02, 2018, 02:04:17 PM
I think Des was going for the 'for all the abuse soccer gets, the self-righteous GAA would never do this if the shoe was on the other foot' angle.
Basically, if a Dublin-supporting English man was attacked by Mayo fans, while standing outside Gills, would the Dubs find out which local soccer team he was involved with back in England and hang their jersey in the dressing-room?
I guess we will literally never know.
Anyway, he picked a strange hell to die on, if you ask me.

But will Des take the classy way out?

magpie seanie

I had no idea what this was about initially so took option 3.

Option 4 is a given but this merely underlines what a clown the chap is. They need to get Ó Cinnéide in there. He's classy.

Maroon Manc

Des is a clown, is there anyone worse at presenting then Des?

As for Henderson the Liverpool PR team will have gone into overdrive to gain a good bit of PR after last weeks antics. Any big football club would do the same.

Rufus T Firefly

In light of the disgraceful comments made by a small minority of Liverpool fans about Loris Karius and his young son on social media, I wonder will Des be so quick to do a 'compare and contrast' between this aspect of professional football in England and the GAA?

Methinks not. 

seafoid

I never saw a losing all Ireland team abandon the goalie who let in a howler or the player who made the mistake that lost the match. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: seafoid on May 28, 2018, 08:52:03 AM
I never saw a losing all Ireland team abandon the goalie who let in a howler or the player who made the mistake that lost the match.

This is still being widely reported despite the photographs and footage of several liverpool players consoling Karius.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

longballin

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 28, 2018, 09:22:46 AM

This is still being widely reported despite the photographs and footage of several liverpool players consoling Karius.

It was clear on TV for ages after the final whistle Karius was distraught and no Liverpool player went near him also when he went to to Liverpool players. They usually do when a player misses a penalty in a shoout-out. YNWA  : )

AZOffaly

Quote from: longballin on May 28, 2018, 09:57:38 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 28, 2018, 09:22:46 AM

It was clear on TV for ages after the final whistle Karius was distraught and no Liverpool player went near him also when he went to to Liverpool players. They usually do when a player misses a penalty in a shoout-out. YNWA  : )

I commented on it at the time, but then again if you look at the pictures almost all of the players are collapsed on their own. I think they were all so devastated themselves individually that they had to get over that before they went near Karius. To be fair he got a good reception down with the fans as well.

All that said, if it was Salah that missed a peno, or Lovren that gave away a needless peno, I think they'd have been reached quicker. I get the sense Karius is not really 'in' that dressing room. Henderson had a bit of a go at him as they celebrated after the semi final too.

longballin

AZOffaly

Quote from: longballin on May 28, 2018, 10:03:46 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p068bwxz

Yes, but that's not true. They didn't go to him in the first couple of minutes, but as I said for at least a good minute they were all on their own slumped on the turf. After that, it was normal. He wasn't exactly shunned :) And the fans gave him a good reception.