Ros away to Dublin 20th July 2019

Started by Rossfan, July 15, 2019, 12:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silkyskillssunshinee

Dublin just seem to be getting better and better by every year, which is frightening. Although they haven't been fully tested yet, it's hard to see them lose with their power and fitness.

Whatever about the Super 8's, the Leinster championship needs to be abolished next year. Pointless competition. Even the Dubs must be getting sick of it.

I'd say the same about the Munster but at least Cork have the potential to trouble Kerry in the coming years. Then again it's Cork, so who knows.

inthrough

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on July 20, 2019, 11:29:53 PM
Dublin just seem to be getting better and better by every year, which is frightening. Although they haven't been fully tested yet, it's hard to see them lose with their power and fitness.

Whatever about the Super 8's, the Leinster championship needs to be abolished next year. Pointless competition. Even the Dubs must be getting sick of it.

I'd say the same about the Munster but at least Cork have the potential to trouble Kerry in the coming years. Then again it's Cork, so who knows.

How does abolishing the Leinster Championship help anything? How does the back door work? How does any Leinster team get into the Super 8's?

Lar Naparka

Quote from: sid waddell on July 20, 2019, 09:09:44 PM
Tonight was all that we hoped that the Super 8s would be - the sheer majesty of a Dublin team in full flow in front of an enthralled crowd on a lovely summer Saturday evening at Croke Park.

Many children will start playing Gaelic football because of what they witnessed tonight. Memories to last a lifetime.

These amazing Dubs continue to inspire.
;D ;D
Looking at the empty spaces all around the ground, I don't think enough kids were watching to knock together a couple of under 10 sides.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

fearsiuil

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 20, 2019, 11:37:43 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 20, 2019, 09:09:44 PM
Tonight was all that we hoped that the Super 8s would be - the sheer majesty of a Dublin team in full flow in front of an enthralled crowd on a lovely summer Saturday evening at Croke Park.

Many children will start playing Gaelic football because of what they witnessed tonight. Memories to last a lifetime.

These amazing Dubs continue to inspire.
;D ;D
Looking at the empty spaces all around the ground, I don't think enough kids were watching to knock together a couple of under 10 sides.
Childer not fools, they'll see the chicken shoot for what it was unfortunately. Lack of competition = other options.

Zero atmosphere, regret going myself tonight as a neutral.  Supreme team, bit joyless. At least Mayo gave Dublin a game of it over the years even if fruitless in the grand scheme of things.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: inthrough on July 20, 2019, 11:36:23 PM

How does abolishing the Leinster Championship help anything? How does the back door work? How does any Leinster team get into the Super 8's?

If Dublin play teams like Mayo, Kerry, Donegal and Tyrone regularly in June/July at least we'll get to see some competitive games.

The provincial championships just don't make any sense any more. Why are counties like Carlow and Wicklow even in the same competition as Dublin? Even Laois and Kildare are way off them.

You might get a few good games in provincial every year (Roscommon-Galway, Tyrone-Donegal), but overall it just isnt worth it.

Hopefully the league and championship competitions are switched around come next year and we can have some games to actually look forward to. Why do we have to wait until August for Dublin to actually play someone competitive?

Maiden1

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on July 20, 2019, 11:56:06 PM

If Dublin play teams like Mayo, Kerry, Donegal and Tyrone regularly in June/July at least we'll get to see some competitive games.

The provincial championships just don't make any sense any more. Why are counties like Carlow and Wicklow even in the same competition as Dublin? Even Laois and Kildare are way off them.

You might get a few good games in provincial every year (Roscommon-Galway, Tyrone-Donegal), but overall it just isnt worth it.

Hopefully the league and championship competitions are switched around come next year and we can have some games to actually look forward to. Why do we have to wait until August for Dublin to actually play someone competitive?
Dublin won last year without playing any competitive games
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Silkyskillssunshinee

Quote from: Maiden1 on July 20, 2019, 11:58:31 PM
Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on July 20, 2019, 11:56:06 PM

Dublin won last year without playing any competitive games

Kerry and Donegal weren't as good last year. Kerry will definitely challenge Dublin, if not this year, in the coming years with their exciting young players.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: straightred on July 20, 2019, 10:52:27 PM
Quote from: Halfquarter on July 20, 2019, 10:38:35 PM
Quote from: straightred on July 20, 2019, 10:30:47 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 20, 2019, 08:55:53 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 20, 2019, 08:54:01 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 20, 2019, 08:18:25 PM
Roscommon have almost single handedly given enough reason for binning the Super 8s and the 2 tier system. It’s not right on them.
They might be doing every county a favour

There was nothing wrong with the all Ireland quarter finals being on the same weekend in August as double headers
We've 1 more year of the 'trial'.
And everyone should lobby their county board to kill this thing quickly before it completely destroys our championship

It's not the Super 8's that is destroying the Championship, Leinster is already a wasteland.

Who wants to see a one horse race ?
okay but under a straight forward knock out 1/4 final there is a chance (however remote) that they could be caught out. All this system does is give them and the other stronger teams the safety net of 2 other games to salvage the situation. Its a farce.

A group stage for the last 8 was always going to be a ridiculous concept. Now you have Cork,Roscommon and probably a few other teams tomorrow forced to fulfill dead rubber fixtures when those players are better off with their clubs.

Forget this 3 year trial nonsense and bring back the straight knock out All Ireland quarter finals for 2020.

Rossfan

Just home from this away game.
Weary, depressed, disappointed for the lads but it was amateur boys against professional men.
Hard to know where we go from here, how many lads will have the appetite to slog it out over the winter again.
Some one said we've put a 2 tier Championship to bed.
We've probably made the case for a 3 or 4 tier championship when you think we're better than 24vir 25 if the teams out there.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on July 21, 2019, 12:52:19 AM
Weary, depressed, disappointed for the lads but it was amateur boys against professional men.
Hard to know where we go from here, how many lads will have the appetite to slog it out over the winter again.
We've probably made the case for a 3 or 4 tier championship when you think we're better than 24vir 25 if the teams out there.

It doesn't matter how much Ros improve. The championship is rigged
It would be no different if PSG played in the League of Ireland
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

fearsiuil

Tough watch, there'll be a day when Ross will have a midfielder or 2 and a team to match...keep the faith. No shame today, yer lads kept at it.

Connacht abĂș.

RedHand88

You have my respect. I really don't know anything else Roscommon can do. Fair play for keeping your provincial championship alive at the very least.

Rossfan

I know.
But I also know  that we will only ever win Connachts, Div 2s and in the future Intermediate All Irelands.
There will be no more 1943s or 44s.
Nor Cavan nor Offaly winning Sam again.
Sorry for Monaghan, Sligo, Westmeath, Laois etc who didn't win one back in the days of true amateurism.
We haven't even got dreams any more and when that happens it's not a good place to be.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

maigheo

That is a tough read  ,Rosfan. Very tough for the players to be able to put in the effort year after year knowing there is no hope of ultimate success.Watched only pieces of todays game and I was one who would never miss any part of any championship game.Dublin will win this years all Ireland and they can win the next 5 for all I care.The system is rigged in there favor no matter what spiel we are fed from Croke Park and it is not going to change.

Blowitupref

I like everyone else expected Dublin to win but i thought Roscommon would give a better account of themselves and i feel the 18 point margin in the end highlighted that their S&C/fitness still needs major improvement before they can handle 2 big games in 7 days against the top 4 teams. The Dubs were in a ruthless mood and even in the last ten minutes they outscored Roscommon 0-7 to a point. The Dubs remain the best and team to beat and its hard to make a case for any team to beat them this summer.

The group now left with two dead rubbers and i really think its time to go back to knock out football for the quarter final stage.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose