Ros away to Dublin 20th July 2019

Started by Rossfan, July 15, 2019, 12:10:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: MayoBuck on July 21, 2019, 10:37:22 AM
Quote from: highorlow on July 21, 2019, 09:31:06 AM
What's the beak even attendance figure for Croke Park?

Did someone mention 30k is needed to break even based on the cost of the event itself.

That figure gets thrown around a lot but it's actually false. If you think about it how could any number like that be accurate when ticket prices vary considerably between games. For example, none of the upper tiers or nally terrace was open yesterday so that's a saving straight away.

When you include corporate boxes and the fact that takings from shops/bars inside all go to the GAA, a crowd in Croke Park is more profitable than a similar one in another county ground. That's why so many games are in Croker.
That's what Peter McKenna once said and I have no reason to disbelieve him. When you factor insurance and maintenance costs in  and that only a percentage of the bar/fast food  etc. takings goes to the GAA, the  apparent profits shrink considerably.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

MayoBuck

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 21, 2019, 12:04:32 PM

Did someone mention 30k is needed to break even based on the cost of the event itself.

That figure gets thrown around a lot but it's actually false. If you think about it how could any number like that be accurate when ticket prices vary considerably between games. For example, none of the upper tiers or nally terrace was open yesterday so that's a saving straight away.

When you include corporate boxes and the fact that takings from shops/bars inside all go to the GAA, a crowd in Croke Park is more profitable than a similar one in another county ground. That's why so many games are in Croker.
That's what Peter McKenna once said and I have no reason to disbelieve him. When you factor insurance and maintenance costs in  and that only a percentage of the bar/fast food  etc. takings goes to the GAA, the  apparent profits shrink considerably.

Yes but every ground has insurance and maintenance costs. Having a double header in Croker is considerably cheaper than opening up 2 provincial grounds.

giveballaghback

Quote from: Silkyskillssunshinee on July 20, 2019, 11:29:53 PM
Dublin just seem to be getting better and better by every year, which is frightening. Although they haven't been fully tested yet, it's hard to see them lose with their power and fitness.

Whatever about the Super 8's, the Leinster championship needs to be abolished next year. Pointless competition. Even the Dubs must be getting sick of it.

I'd say the same about the Munster but at least Cork have the potential to trouble Kerry in the coming years. Then again it's Cork, so who knows.
And when the Dubs win the next 4 or 5 all irelands will they abolish that as well.

J70

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2019, 11:51:40 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 21, 2019, 11:41:54 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2019, 11:33:43 AM
I can't believe no one seen this hammering coming! Galway and Mayo have gone back considerably this year. They are two counties running on empty. So thinking Roscommon were going anywhere by beating either of those was fantasy. The Rossies conceded 4-24 in last years dead rubber super 8 game. Dublin played a lot of their fringe players in that game.

I thought virtually everyone saw this hammering coming?  :o

Yes, but there seems to be a sense of surprise of the manner of it!

I thought they might have made a game of it for 50-55 minutes (as in be within five or six points). Instead, the game was over after 20.

Blowitupref

Quote from: J70 on July 21, 2019, 01:05:26 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2019, 11:51:40 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 21, 2019, 11:41:54 AM
I can't believe no one seen this hammering coming! Galway and Mayo have gone back considerably this year. They are two counties running on empty. So thinking Roscommon were going anywhere by beating either of those was fantasy. The Rossies conceded 4-24 in last years dead rubber super 8 game. Dublin played a lot of their fringe players in that game.

I thought virtually everyone saw this hammering coming?  :o

Yes, but there seems to be a sense of surprise of the manner of it!

I thought they might have made a game of it for 50-55 minutes (as in be within five or six points). Instead, the game was over after 20.

Same here and i thought they would end up conceding something like 1-19 instead of 2-26. Looked very flat yesterday after the effort to be competitive v Tyrone the week before.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

seafoid

Quote from: MayoBuck on July 21, 2019, 12:47:24 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 21, 2019, 12:04:32 PM

Yes but every ground has insurance and maintenance costs. Having a double header in Croker is considerably cheaper than opening up 2 provincial grounds.
Attention focuses on the unfairness of the Dubs playing in Porky Crokey but if you look
at it from the point of view of the spreadsheet jockeys at HQ the GAA
need the revenues . They do not care about the product.

The All Ireland at this stage is a revenue Ponzi scheme
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

The Dubs are like a supertrawler scraping the sea floor for fish

Ros is a small boat on Lough Ree
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 21, 2019, 11:12:41 AM
So Roscommon basically need to focus on the Connacht championship and beating their neighbours from now on.

Would playing the game in e.g. Tullamore have made a difference?
Not to the outcome but at least there would gave been a fairly full stadium and some atmosphere and sense of occasion.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trileacman

Quote from: Rossfan on July 21, 2019, 12:52:19 AM
Just home from this away game.
Weary, depressed, disappointed for the lads but it was amateur boys against professional men.
Hard to know where we go from here, how many lads will have the appetite to slog it out over the winter again.
Some one said we've put a 2 tier Championship to bed.
We've probably made the case for a 3 or 4 tier championship when you think we're better than 24vir 25 if the teams out there.

If a Roscommon team that have beaten Mayo (league champs) in castle bar and Galway (ai semifinalists) in salt hill aren't in the top tier of a proposed tiered championship then there's something badly wrong. Who's in the top tier of your proposed championship? Donegal and Tyrone? Hammered by Dublin last year in croker and Kerry who are lining themselves up for the same fate.

Time for people to take their heads out of the sand and realise there's a problem with one team not the remaining 31.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: Rossfan on July 21, 2019, 01:37:22 AM
I know.
But I also know  that we will only ever win Connachts, Div 2s and in the future Intermediate All Irelands.
There will be no more 1943s or 44s.
Nor Cavan nor Offaly winning Sam again.
Sorry for Monaghan, Sligo, Westmeath, Laois etc who didn't win one back in the days of true amateurism.
We haven't even got dreams any more and when that happens it's not a good place to be.

It's been almost 80 years since you've been winning AI's. In a year that you've beaten Galway and Mayo and matched a fair few of the div1 sides in the league (including drawing with AI finalists Tyrone in a match you should have won) I find it incredible that getting tanked by a financially doped superside has you giving up all hope and asking to be playing in the Tommy Murphy Cup.

Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Rossfan

Trileac will you stop putting words in my mouth.
Go do your rant on its own merits.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

armaghniac

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 21, 2019, 03:15:19 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 21, 2019, 02:33:31 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 20, 2019, 01:42:38 PM
He's probably up in court or something

http://www.hoganstand.com/Dublin/Article/Index/301956

Well done Dermo!

he is supporting someone bringing up a child in Cavan as a Dubs supporter. Have they not enough people in Dublin as it is without going to Ulster to look for more?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Cunny Funt

Mayo just 1 win away from reaching the last 4 now and Galway might have been in the same place if they had won that round 4 tie v Mayo. Roscommon beating both away doesn't happen often and shouldn't belittled. Why some thought Roscommon would be somewhat competitive was because they showed improvement in a year v Tyrone and for 55 minutes Cork was competitive v Dublin.

Last years game was a dead rubber game whereby both played fringe players in that game.