Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Esmarelda on July 01, 2018, 06:49:21 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 01, 2018, 04:00:06 PM
Quote from: joemamas on July 01, 2018, 03:55:52 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 01, 2018, 02:33:31 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on July 01, 2018, 01:25:52 PM
Diarmuid O'Connor's performance yesterday was one of the greatest in defeat in recent years.

Christ.

His performance yesterday was just off the charts, he was incredible.
btw, why are you always such a tool

The irony.

DOC played well but what I quoted is incredible hyperbole. For how well he played, Mayo's midfield  collapsed for much of the final 15 minutes yesterday.
"one of the greatest in defeat in recent years". Where's the hyperbole? Name a half dozen more that you can think of and I might reassess my post.

Until then, your disagreement, as usual, only strengthens the point.

You're not as good at ripostes as you seem to think you are. A bit like Tubberman. But that level of silly, bad-faith discussion is common here.

I can think of plenty of fantastic performances in defeat the last 12 months alone. Tom Parsons in the Galway match. Diarmuid Murtagh in the Connacht final. Andy Moran in the AI final. Sean Powter against Mayo. Paul Geaney against Mayo, both times. Ffs, Graham Brody against Dublin last week. I could name more if I was bothered.

DOC's performance fits comfortably with those performances but it doesn't comfortably outshine most of them. Invariably in a halfways tight game there is someone on the losing side who has put in an excellent performance so the list is always going to be long.

What you said was hyperbole. It's that simple. You'd be better served just putting your hands up and saying you went overboard than doubling down and running after the poster with an ad hominem attack.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on July 01, 2018, 07:26:11 PM
Diarmuid O'Connor's performance yesterday was one of the greatest in defeat in recent years.

Christ.

The irony.

DOC played well but what I quoted is incredible hyperbole. For how well he played, Mayo's midfield  collapsed for much of the final 15 minutes yesterday.
"one of the greatest in defeat in recent years". Where's the hyperbole? Name a half dozen more that you can think of and I might reassess my post.

You're not as good at ripostes as you seem to think you are. A bit like Tubberman. But that level of silly, bad-faith discussion is common here.

I can think of plenty of fantastic performances in defeat the last 12 months alone. Tom Parsons in the Galway match. Diarmuid Murtagh in the Connacht final. Andy Moran in the AI final. Sean Powter against Mayo. Paul Geaney against Mayo, both times. Ffs, Graham Brody against Dublin last week. I could name more if I was bothered.

DOC's performance fits comfortably with those performances but it doesn't comfortably outshine most of them. Invariably in a halfways tight game there is someone on the losing side who has put in an excellent performance so the list is always going to be long.

What you said was hyperbole. It's that simple. You'd be better served just putting your hands up and saying you went overboard than doubling down and running after the poster with an ad hominem attack.

He said it was one of the greatest performances in defeat, which you've just agreed with in your last post "DOC's performance fits comfortably with those performances".
But I applaud the inclusion of "ad hominem", very good :D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossie11

You can't feel sorry for DOC.
Was it not for his idiotic elbow on Conroy Mayo would be in the Super 8s
fully rested up and ready to give the big one another crack.
Running himself into the ground yesterday doesn't wash over that stupidity.

Baggio90

Christ.

The irony.

Diarmuid Murtagh in the Connacht final? He disappeared in the second half as his side failed to score from play, collapsed and lost.

Lolzers.

To be fair to Diarmuid O'Connor yesterday, he ran himself into the ground, a performance of real leadership.

ONeill

Love watching Mayo. They'll be missed by most.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Esmarelda

Christ.

The irony.

You reply to my comment (my opinion) with a one-word reply "Christ" and you criticise me for running after the poster. Why didn't you post your second reply to my initial post?

And as Tubberman has mentioned, I said "one of" not "thee greatest", although I admit I should have said "that I've witnessed".

As for hyperbole, Parsons got injured after 48 minutes of Galway game and you mention him first. You might as well assess Murtagh's performance over the same period.

I think you need to apply the last paragraph of your post to yourself.

Main Street

Generous and heartfelt goodwill towards the flourbags runs out at midnight.

seafoid

A lovely tribute from Colm O'Rourke

https://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/colm-orourke-this-is-the-end-of-mayo-as-we-have-known-them-37068850.html

Mayo, as always, died with their boots on. No All-Ireland for some of their greatest players who will carry that burden to the grave. Of course football is not that important but try telling that to Keith Higgins, Andy Moran, Colm Boyle, Lee Keegan and a few others in the weeks, months and years ahead. The O'Sheas will surely stick around but this is the end of Mayo as we have known them for a decade and in truth I feel a certain sadness in that. They are heroes who kept going to the well and found water every time.

TheGreatest

Well done Kildare in knocking out the peoples champions. The fawning over the Mayo team is quite frankly embarrassing. Entertaining yes, however failed at the big one and one of the dirtiest teams in history, However people need to chill out, they will be back next year, lots of talent waiting to come through. and still there.

Jinxy

I was listening to John Horan on the radio before the draw this morning.
The language he used to describe the Newbridge affair was very interesting.
It was very much the Kildare county board vs. 'one of our committees'.
He also asserted that St Conleth's is Kildare's home venue and should they make the Super 8s, that's where they will be playing.
Think the CCCC bit off more than they could chew in this instance.
Horan also wants to put a stop to concerts being held in Croke Park at the height of summer.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Maroon Manc

That montage the Sunday Game did was very harsh, this Mayo team have given the Mayo fans so many great memories but only focused on the heartbreaks.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was few retirements, Boyle looks like the player closest to retirement in terms of performance but Higgins & Moran have still performed well in the last month. I know SOS works in Dublin and think Barrett might be their too, commuting every week isn't easy when their the wrong side of 30.

Durcan & DOC were brilliant, Durcan's scores kept them in it but some of the old problems cane back to haunt them; No impact at all from the bench i've not checked but think they only made 3 subs which in that weather is ridiculous.

Crete Boom

Well that was a cracking match in the flesh anyway and while it was heartbreaking to lose I felt we gave every last bit of of ourselves out on the pitch but it just wasn't enough against and excellent Kildare on the the day.
Fair play to Kildare it was a throwback win that reminded me of some of their big wins in the late 90's and early 2000's  as I felt the performance we gave would have beaten a lot of other teams who would be considered in the same bracket as Kildare before the match!
Kildare fans afterwards were very gracious in victory (much like the Dubs the last few years) and I just think we have been a tiny bit lethargic and stale all year.
A lot of obituaries (all very kind in fairness) coming from all quarters for us at the moment but I am not too down as I don't think there will be as many retirements as expected but I also expect a good few changes (some are happening or have happened already) and we will be back sooner than you might expect.Probably there is a lot more space to initiate the changes needed than if we were recovering from an All Ireland final loss or semi final loss and there is plenty of potential to work with in the county.
I think the break will do the players, management, the fans and probably the wider Gaa fans good for the summer and we in Mayo can settle back into a cracking Club championship and enjoy with the rest of ye the likes of Kerry, Donegal, Galway, Monaghan and Tyrone taking on the Dubs in the weeks ahead!!
Don't worry lads and lassies we will be back wrecking your heads with terrible wides, ridiculous extra time matches and helter sketler games before you know it!! ;D

Mayo4Sam

Always hard to take when you go out of the championship, its still a sad feeling this morning. Well done to Kildare, a great game and we can have absolutely no complaints, the better team won. I was hoping ye wouldn't draw Fermanagh, I'm not sure playing them will suit you but I hope ye win.
Myself and McDanger were standing beside Cribbens sister and you could see what it meant.

Even up to 70 minutes I expected us to pull it out of the bag, thats just what this team does. Looking at it now, how could we have won when so many under performed, they just looked like a tired team.
Clarke - way too many poor kickouts, i've been saying for while I think Hennelly, even with giving away a goal a game is a better option when you throw in his 45s
Higgins, Barrett, Boyler - all looked tired and got cleaned out - we missed harrison
Keegan - something was wrong there, illness of injury but just not leeroy
Durcan - absolutely outstanding, ridiculously so
Likewise Diarmuid - we've found his best position
Coen - actually provided something going forward, he needs to improve on this next year
Kevin Mc, DOC - both played ok but faded towards the back stretch
AOS - Was very good, won a savage amount of ball - was dead on his feet at the death - needs to be better managed in game, he can't do what he does for 70 minutes - rotate him into full forward or full back but somewhere to give him a breather
Andy/Cillian - nothing stuck, poor from both but they've stood up on other days. Cillian did kick a great point towards the end
James Durcan - poor but he's done well for his first year

Rochford - I've been a long time defender, I think he's done some great things for mayo but what the f**k was he at on Saturday evening, even if he has zero faith in his bench, all six subs need to be used, it was scorching. Andy was dead for 20 minutes, you could have taken off half the team. The biggest criticism has to be that he hasn't won a connacht title in three years. We've been the best team and lost of Galway three years running. Its hastened the end of this team.

Looking round at who can come in, would the likes of McGuinness take it? I don't think so, age profile is wrong.

So it leaves Sloane was the obvious option, he's a man that knows the youth in the county and would probably do a lot to bring in the All ireland U-21 winning team and this years batch of U-20s which would be no bad thing.

There is one other option. McStay bows out to Armagh and calls it a day. I'm not sure he'd even take the job considering how he was fucked over before but he'd do a great job.
I'm sorry to the other sound rossies but I made the mistake of revealing some of Syferus's comments here, what a pathetic excuse for a human being, I hope for your sake Roscommon get hammered next week, or if not next week that ye get embarrassed in Croke Park like ye did last year.

Its been a great few years, some of the most memorable days out. I don't think its finished but we've been a mess at underage for a few years so it'll take a lot to pull it together. But looking at the players under 30 you still have some of the finest talents in the country: Harrison, O'Donoghue, Keegan, Durcan, Diarmuid, Cillian, DOC, Kevin McL, AOS - thats some spine of a team. Give James Durcan and Hanley another year and I think they'll improve immensely.

Its not all doom and gloom.
Maigh Eo abĂș
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Jinxy

I told ye last year to stick DOC in midfield!
If the board had a proper search function I'd find the exact post, but it doesn't so you'll just have to take my word for it.
Now, do the other thing I suggested and convert at least two of your 126 inter-county standard half-backs into forwards.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Crete Boom

Quote from: Jinxy on July 02, 2018, 11:52:40 AM
I told ye last year to stick DOC in midfield!
If the board had a proper search function I'd find the exact post, but it doesn't so you'll just have to take my word for it.
Now, do the other thing I suggested and convert at least two of your 126 inter-county standard half-backs into forwards.

And our reply to your insightful analysis is something like this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93D2Pt3a2mc  ;)