NFL Div 4 2020

Started by sligoman2, January 21, 2020, 12:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 01, 2020, 10:11:22 AM
If Antrim were to beat Limerick today it pulls them right back into the mix and keeps Antrim in it. Limerick have Wexford at home and us away in their last two games. Wicklow have to go to Wexford also. Fierce proud of our lads yesterday. Massive one coming up in Carlow.

we are currently 7 up on a Limerick at the minute
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Gold

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 01, 2020, 03:24:11 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 01, 2020, 10:11:22 AM
If Antrim were to beat Limerick today it pulls them right back into the mix and keeps Antrim in it. Limerick have Wexford at home and us away in their last two games. Wicklow have to go to Wexford also. Fierce proud of our lads yesterday. Massive one coming up in Carlow.

we are currently 7 up on a Limerick at the minute

Buzzing!!
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

magpie seanie

Cat well and truly amongst the pigeons now! I think there are 5 teams who will get promoted of they win their last two games! And no-one who will be sure of going up with only one more win!

What a great competition the league is.....we simply have to move it to the summer to give every county a serious number of meaningful games at the best time of the year.

SLIGONIAN

I just looked at the table and did 6 different group permutations from most likely to less. If Sligo win our last 2 games we would all but be promoted.

The main reason is that we all have to play each other and both can't win and draws aren't good enough. I think Antrim are most likely to go up, on 7 pts with Wicklow away and Waterford at home. They should finish on 11pts.

I think Limerick and ourselves finish on 10 pts and we go up on the better head to head.

There is not much chance of any 3-way ties so I don't think score difference will matter but Limerick are 6pts worse than us at the minute.

The head to head win on Wexford could be huge if they win the last 2 matches.

We are better off if Antrim wins both matches because drawing one does bring them to 10 and that could create a 3-way tie with Wexford who have 8pts better score difference.

So basically forget about all this just focus on ourselves, look forward, bring the right attitude and win both games and we have a very very good chance.

But yep it is anyone's. Sligo v Limerick could be winner takes all.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

At this stage we just have to put all focus into the Carlow game on March 14th. There will be more twists and turns over the last two rounds.

Gold

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 01, 2020, 06:50:45 PM
I just looked at the table and did 6 different group permutations from most likely to less. If Sligo win our last 2 games we would all but be promoted.

The main reason is that we all have to play each other and both can't win and draws aren't good enough. I think Antrim are most likely to go up, on 7 pts with Wicklow away and Waterford at home. They should finish on 11pts.

I think Limerick and ourselves finish on 10 pts and we go up on the better head to head.

There is not much chance of any 3-way ties so I don't think score difference will matter but Limerick are 6pts worse than us at the minute.

We are better off if Antrim wins both matches because drawing one does bring them to 10 and that could create a 3-way tie with Wexford who have 8pts better score difference.

So basically forget about all this just focus on ourselves, look forward, bring the right attitude and win both games and we have a very very good chance.

Honestly do not count on us winning our last 2. I remember in 08 we only had to win 1 of our last 2 v Waterford and Tipp i think it was to go up....put it this way, we didnt go up!

Great win for us v Limerick though after a poor start....great to have hope and a spring in our step again

As you said though, what a great comp the league is.....look at the Dubs: drawing with monaghan, beating Donegal by a point and then just beaten by Tyrone....all good games for players and fans but unfortunately played in bogs and storms. Basically at this time of year Football is a different sport.. "dont bounce the ball!!" Is roared time and again.

So what do we do? When our sport is potentially beautiful on dry sod we start the championship. Dublin play Louth or Longford etc and hockey them by 25 points, shite for players and fans. They then sit idle and wait a full month and then play Carlow etc, hockey them by 30. It has to stop. No one would pay to see Tyson Fury beat up a 14year old boy....so why do we persist with it? Same in all provinces bar the odd cracker up here.

We should scrap the league and championship as 2 seperate competitions and try this 1 competition:

Tier 1 with 16 teams, 2 groups of 8 should be played End May to end July. Top 2 in each group  go into all ireland semi finals. Semis and final played in August. Same with a Tier 2.

Bottom in both Tier 1 groups automatically relegated to tier 2 next year. 2nd bottom in each play off against losing tier 2 semi finalists (finalists from tier 2 both promoted authomatically)

Club football can start mid to end March and run for 2 months with county players and league continue without them through inter county championship. Club championship commence end july/start August (if county out of championship/relegation playoff) or end August if county does well (maybe 1st round at start May)

Appreciate be some dead rubbers if teams dont win 1st few, especially in Tier 2....but defo better than the product we have now

Potentially reduce county season to 7 matches or 9 if you play in Tier 1 or 2 final (better than for example the dubs strolling the o byrne cup, playing in hailstones and bogs in the league then dead rubbers v louth etc before the real championship starts 2 months later)
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

magpie seanie

There's no need to invent structures - the proposals are there and will be voted on in a special congress later in the year. Get into your clubs....get on to your county board reps....and get this change in. For us in division 3/4 especially, it's essential to get more games in summer to promote gaelic football in our counties. Players really want it too. The amount of training they do to play 2 games in summer is a joke.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Gold on March 02, 2020, 12:35:03 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on March 01, 2020, 06:50:45 PM

Honestly do not count on us winning our last 2. I remember in 08 we only had to win 1 of our last 2 v Waterford and Tipp i think it was to go up....put it this way, we didnt go up!

Great win for us v Limerick though after a poor start....great to have hope and a spring in our step again

As you said though, what a great comp the league is.....look at the Dubs: drawing with monaghan, beating Donegal by a point and then just beaten by Tyrone....all good games for players and fans but unfortunately played in bogs and storms. Basically at this time of year Football is a different sport.. "dont bounce the ball!!" Is roared time and again.

So what do we do? When our sport is potentially beautiful on dry sod we start the championship. Dublin play Louth or Longford etc and hockey them by 25 points, shite for players and fans. They then sit idle and wait a full month and then play Carlow etc, hockey them by 30. It has to stop. No one would pay to see Tyson Fury beat up a 14year old boy....so why do we persist with it? Same in all provinces bar the odd cracker up here.

We should scrap the league and championship as 2 seperate competitions and try this 1 competition:

Tier 1 with 16 teams, 2 groups of 8 should be played End May to end July. Top 2 in each group  go into all ireland semi finals. Semis and final played in August. Same with a Tier 2.

Bottom in both Tier 1 groups automatically relegated to tier 2 next year. 2nd bottom in each play off against losing tier 2 semi finalists (finalists from tier 2 both promoted authomatically)

Club football can start mid to end March and run for 2 months with county players and league continue without them through inter county championship. Club championship commence end july/start August (if county out of championship/relegation playoff) or end August if county does well (maybe 1st round at start May)

Appreciate be some dead rubbers if teams dont win 1st few, especially in Tier 2....but defo better than the product we have now

Potentially reduce county season to 7 matches or 9 if you play in Tier 1 or 2 final (better than for example the dubs strolling the o byrne cup, playing in hailstones and bogs in the league then dead rubbers v louth etc before the real championship starts 2 months later)

I think the majority of us agree that the best format competition the GAA have at county level is the NFL. It's the tier level competition already in place and the objective should be trying to make the NFL more popular and important.

The idea of flipping the season on its head of playing the championship in the spring and NFL in the summer could be a possible solution but I can't see those in congress voting on that.

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 02, 2020, 08:18:50 AM
There's no need to invent structures - the proposals are there and will be voted on in a special congress later in the year. Get into your clubs....get on to your county board reps....and get this change in. For us in division 3/4 especially, it's essential to get more games in summer to promote gaelic football in our counties. Players really want it too. The amount of training they do to play 2 games in summer is a joke.
Agree 100% ( I know....this will have to stop :D).
Only tweak I'd make would be to keep the Provincials as knock out with rounds interspersed with the League Rounds. Needs 11 weekends.
Also let Provincial Champions into the AI series.
Playing 75% of Inter County games in 9 weeks in Jan/Feb/March is madness.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

magpie seanie

Quote from: Rossfan on March 02, 2020, 12:59:25 PM
Only tweak I'd make would be to keep the Provincials as knock out with rounds interspersed with the League Rounds. Needs 11 weekends.

;D

twohands!!!

Quote from: Rossfan on March 02, 2020, 12:59:25 PM

This year in the league 148 games will be played over 10 weeks from January to March.

This year in the provincial championships 29 games will be played over 8 weekends from May to June.

sligoman2

Isn't it funny how we all sing the praises of the league system that is designed to have teams of similar skill/quality play against each other, yet there is outrage when a similar proposal is made for the championship (tier2). 
Anyway all to play for now in this division, very interesting at this point.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: sligoman2 on March 02, 2020, 07:45:22 PM
Isn't it funny how we all sing the praises of the league system that is designed to have teams of similar skill/quality play against each other, yet there is outrage when a similar proposal is made for the championship (tier2). 
Anyway all to play for now in this division, very interesting at this point.

Was going to post the exact same thing, hi-ho there ya go.

Teams in Div 4 still feel they have a right to win an All Ireland, nonsense really but, the feeling of getting a run in the championship, get to a Pro Final and see what the draw gives you after that, even Antrim managed a final a few years ago and managed to give the mighty Kerry a run for their money in the qualifiers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bannside

This is one tight league. 5 teams still in it with chances of promotion. Theres Waterford down near the bottom but still with a pts difference of just minus ten, an average loss of just two points a game. Theres no whipping boys in this league this year, everyone capable of a result on any day.

I'm looking forward to our game with Wicklow on Sunday, the picture will all be a bit clearer by Sunday evening. I wouldn't rule out a draw or two this weekend either just to thicken the plot!

magpie seanie

Quote from: bannside on March 11, 2020, 10:05:12 PM
This is one tight league. 5 teams still in it with chances of promotion. Theres Waterford down near the bottom but still with a pts difference of just minus ten, an average loss of just two points a game. Theres no whipping boys in this league this year, everyone capable of a result on any day.

I'm looking forward to our game with Wicklow on Sunday, the picture will all be a bit clearer by Sunday evening. I wouldn't rule out a draw or two this weekend either just to thicken the plot!

Might not get finished now.  :-[