The Titanic. Submersible goes missing

Started by Square Ball, June 19, 2023, 04:41:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WT4E

What happens a body exposed to that pressure so quickly. Would there be anything left of them? Terrible tragedy but in one way a better way to go than waiting for days for the end.

J70

Quote from: WT4E on June 22, 2023, 08:33:44 PM
What happens a body exposed to that pressure so quickly. Would there be anything left of them? Terrible tragedy but in one way a better way to go than waiting for days for the end.

Think I heard the pressure down there is 3 tonnes psi.

At least it was extremely quick.

burdizzo

Had this expedition been successfully completed by The Titan before?

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: WT4E on June 22, 2023, 08:33:44 PM

They'll have been vapourised when the internal air was exposed to the external pressure.

Suppose the silver lining is- they won't have known or felt a thing, from the initial crack till the end, it'll all have been over in milliseconds.
i usse an speelchekor

Mourne Red

https://twitter.com/thepakwolf/status/1671956820208877578?s=46&t=zMI0pHqP8aYtYYerofczvg

Here's a demo of what would have happened. Apparently they wouldn't have felt a thing it would have happened so quickly

clarshack

They were saying on the news last night that the shape of Titan compared to other submersibles could have been a design flaw as the pressure wouldn't have been distributed around it evenly.

J70

Wait till private space tourism takes off. Think of how many shuttle missions there were and the fact that two ended catastrophically. This stuff is inherently dangerous.

J70

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: clarshack on June 22, 2023, 09:27:35 PM
They were saying on the news last night that the shape of Titan compared to other submersibles could have been a design flaw as the pressure wouldn't have been distributed around it evenly.

Its definitely a design compromise. You get more useable internal volume in a capped cylinder than you do in a pure sphere.

Its only a flaw if the designers didn't account for the various stress concentrations that arise from that compromise. Which I'd be very surprised if they didn't think they were doing that right - its pretty basic.
i usse an speelchekor

marty34

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 22, 2023, 09:31:18 PM

Its definitely a design compromise. You get more useable internal volume in a capped cylinder than you do in a pure sphere.

Its only a flaw if the designers didn't account for the various stress concentrations that arise from that compromise. Which I'd be very surprised if they didn't think they were doing that right - its pretty basic.

I presume this yoke would have been used a few times before?

J70

Quote from: marty34 on June 22, 2023, 09:57:56 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on June 22, 2023, 09:31:18 PM

I presume this yoke would have been used a few times before?

Think I saw around 20 dives mentioned.

Each one is going to put stress on the hull with the pressurizations and depressurizations. They learned a lot about planes in the early jet age with this issue -look up the DeHavilland Comet.

Supposedly this company bypassed the certification process, which requires periodic dismantling, rebuilding and testing to maintain seaworthiness certs.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

trileacman

Quote from: Itchy on June 22, 2023, 10:43:32 PM
https://twitter.com/mhdksafa/status/1671871512901459969?t=_vqDCM7zer29ni7DmbnCqQ&s=19

A bit disingenuous that post at the same time. To be fair to the Mediterranean countries they spend several billion euros every year patrolling the Med and dealing with refugees. The cost of this search so far is probably only a few million. Mostly it was craft already stationed in the area, predominantly Canadian coast guard.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014