Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

macdanger2

In the game in Castlebar on Sunday, the Mayo crowd went mad when the Donegal back collected a kickout inside his own 21. Personally, I thought it was ok because he was outside the 21 when the ball was kicked and it's ok to move inside to collect.

On Mad West on the way home though, they said that the rule had been changed from the 21 to the 14 - can anyone confirm this?

AZOffaly

We played a game last year, and the ref was specific. You have to be outside 13 metres from the kick out when it is taken, but you could run into collect it. (Not like soccer where you have to touch it outside the box). So a kick out from the 13 metre line, factoring in the exclusion 'D' is basically outside the 20 metre line and the D.

AZOffaly

Here's the rule

2.7 (a) When the ball is played over the endline by
the Team attacking that end, or after a score
is made, play is restarted by a kick-out off the
ground from the 13m line and within the large
rectangle.
If the goalkeeper is not taking the kick-out, he
shall stay in the small rectangle, and all other
players, except the player taking the kick-out,
shall be outside the 20m line and 13m from
the ball, until it has been kicked.
The player taking a kick-out may kick the
ball more than once before any other player
touches it but may not take the ball into his
hands.
The ball shall travel 13m before being played
by another player of the defending team.

So therefore you could technically kick the ball 13 metres sideways (which is what our goalie did in that game) and as long as the defender was outside the 20 metre line at the time the ball was kicked, he could run in and get it.

BennyCake

Can a player take a sideline kick from the ground if he wishes?

JoG2

was just reading there on gaa.ie that:

'The ball used in Gaelic Football is round, slightly smaller than a soccer ball'.

I've played both sports pretty much all my life but I always thought both balls were the same size, with the A'Neils being heavier. Everyday's a school day

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 08, 2015, 01:33:17 PM
Here's the rule

2.7 (a) When the ball is played over the endline by
the Team attacking that end, or after a score
is made, play is restarted by a kick-out off the
ground from the 13m line and within the large
rectangle.
If the goalkeeper is not taking the kick-out, he
shall stay in the small rectangle, and all other
players, except the player taking the kick-out,
shall be outside the 20m line and 13m from
the ball, until it has been kicked.
The player taking a kick-out may kick the
ball more than once before any other player
touches it but may not take the ball into his
hands.
The ball shall travel 13m before being played
by another player of the defending team.

So therefore you could technically kick the ball 13 metres sideways (which is what our goalie did in that game) and as long as the defender was outside the 20 metre line at the time the ball was kicked, he could run in and get it.

Alternatively your full back could take the kick out backwards towards the goalkeeper,  so long as it traveled 13 m and the goalie started off in the small square and then the FB could take the return pass.

DuffleKing

macdanger2

I was chatting to my nephew who plays U12 for a club in Dublin earlier and he's convinced that there's a rule against 1) using two hands to tackle the ball and 2) using anything other than the "near" hand to tackle (he wasn't able to explain what the "near" hand was when you're tackling front on, but anyway)

While I realise that both of these are good practice i.e. you're less likely to foul the playerl; I'm fairly certain that neither are actual rules. Can anyone confirm??

macdanger2

ONeill

Can you lift a team mate up to catch the ball, like in a line-out in rugby? Be deadly for the smallish Tyrone lads trying to get a mark.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

John Martin

Does a goalkeeper have any sort of exemption from the foot block rule?

Main Street

Quote from: ONeill on April 18, 2017, 11:50:10 AM
Can you lift a team mate up to catch the ball, like in a line-out in rugby? Be deadly for the smallish Tyrone lads trying to get a mark.
Check out the  'GAA for Dummies' book, if there is one,
until now I didn't think there was a need for one.