The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

Spend money on a few lessons early on as well...cure the hurling grip if nothing else.

Then get fitted for clubs if you still have the passion (and improvement) to help even further.

Puckoon

Quote from: laoislad on April 25, 2018, 04:24:18 PM
You'll get some saying different but imo if you are a complete beginner then even buying the most expensive clubs you can will not suddenly turn you into a good golfer.
I'd buy the starter set and learn how to play golf first and then you can always upgrade if you like the sport and want to continue playing.
It always amuses me seeing players on the course dressed in the best of gear and with the best of clubs but who are just as bad at golf as I am  ;D
As the saying goes it's the Indian not the arrow.

I don't think that's what was being suggested or asked.

There is so much variation in quality control even among the brand names that its a mixed bag. Personally I'd find an older set of quality clubs over buying a package bag, if possible and within budget. You can't really go wrong with either choice however and it won't make or break whether you like the game or not.

If you do like it, you may upgrade later. I doubt that you'd still be playing the starter pack if you start playing with any regularity.

trailer

Quote from: Ball Hopper on April 25, 2018, 04:33:36 PM
Spend money on a few lessons early on as well...cure the hurling grip if nothing else.

Then get fitted for clubs if you still have the passion (and improvement) to help even further.

What he says. Once you know you're gonna commit to it go and get a proper fit then.

Rois

I'm having lessons at the minute and one of the girls in the group was saying that she's been keeping an eye on gumtree for second hand ones, but they disappear really really quickly.

Another girl got a set of second hand clubs in the pro shop for about that money so worth checking there too.

Orior

Quote from: Rois on April 25, 2018, 05:28:18 PM
I'm having lessons at the minute and one of the girls in the group was saying that she's been keeping an eye on gumtree for second hand ones, but they disappear really really quickly.

Another girl got a set of second hand clubs in the pro shop for about that money so worth checking there too.

You'd be very welcome at my golf club. Real friendly, great value for money and only round the corner.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Maroon Manc

Cheers for the advice, had a few lessons when I was 16 I think which is 20 years ago but can still remember what I was told about the grip and the swing. Went to a driving range yesterday but really struggled with the driver so will be having a few lessons inside the next month.

This what I was planning on getting jut too get started

https://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-tour-steel-and-graphite-golf-set-876102?colcode=87610290

Had a look last night and there's plenty of second hand clubs doing the rounds on gumtree and facebook.

Orior

There only 27 things to remember when striking a golf ball. Here are the top 3:

1) Keep you head down
2) Keep your stupid head down
3) Keep your fecking stupid head down
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

trailer

Quote from: Maroon Manc on April 26, 2018, 09:24:30 AM
Cheers for the advice, had a few lessons when I was 16 I think which is 20 years ago but can still remember what I was told about the grip and the swing. Went to a driving range yesterday but really struggled with the driver so will be having a few lessons inside the next month.

https://www.sportsdirect.com/dunlop-tour-steel-and-graphite-golf-set-876102?colcode=87610290

Had a look last night and there's plenty of second hand clubs doing the rounds on gumtree and facebook.

There's some good info on YouTube. I like Mark Crossfield, it's doubtful if there's anyone who knows more about a golf swing. MeandMyGolf do some good instructional videos as well.
Hard to beat getting a few lessons though, even if just to nail the basics such as grip and ball position.
If you can't hit the driver don't. You'll probably not be playing on courses that long anyway. If you've any sort of speed you'll be able to hit a 5 iron 180 - 200 yards anyway rather than duffing a driver 40 yards into a bush. Plus an iron never tends to be long enough to reach the trouble such as Out of bounds etc.

Applesisapples

A second hand set of Taylormades/Ping etc will shift easier if you don't like the game or are upgrading. A friend of mine has a set of burners and tells me they hold their value.
Check out Andrew Morris Golf online.

TheOptimist

In a similar situation to yourself. Getting into the business so need to get decent. Had an old set but bought a second hand set of Nike Slingshots, a Ping G20 driver, electric cart (battery doesn't last 18 holes), and a basic trolley bag. Also got about 200 decent golf balls and a thing for fishing balls from the water (very useful). -All for £120

Been on the driving range a lot just practising driving straight and my long irons of the ground. Happy enough with my short game, its just getting to that spot that is my trouble at the minute. Signed up to the local club on a flexi membership which is good for £199, still working out where I'm going to find the time though.

thebigfella

Buy 2nd hand for around the same price, loads of stuff on done deal, adverts, golf shops etc.... much better and you'll lose very little if you want to shift them on. The starter set which you'll struggle to give away.

Get a few lessons first from a reputable pro, they can advise you on what would suit - if you are tall you may need longer shafts etc...

thebigfella

Quote from: trailer on April 26, 2018, 10:53:40 AM

There's some good info on YouTube. I like Mark Crossfield, it's doubtful if there's anyone who knows more about a golf swing. MeandMyGolf do some good instructional videos as well.
Hard to beat getting a few lessons though, even if just to nail the basics such as grip and ball position.
If you can't hit the driver don't. You'll probably not be playing on courses that long anyway. If you've any sort of speed you'll be able to hit a 5 iron 180 - 200 yards anyway rather than duffing a driver 40 yards into a bush. Plus an iron never tends to be long enough to reach the trouble such as Out of bounds etc.

I could name plenty of irish pros who are arguably better.

trailer

Quote from: thebigfella on April 26, 2018, 04:33:10 PM
Quote from: trailer on April 26, 2018, 10:53:40 AM

I could name plenty of irish pros who are arguably better.

Good man yourself.

Maroon Manc

Will go down the second hand route then, will have a lesson this week. There's plenty of offers on through the clubs for lessons within a few miles where I live, couple of local clubs are charging £15 & 17 for an hour.

JPGJOHNNYG

I see Rory' foot in mouth' McIlroy is at it again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/43984254

For someone so intelligent he sure is dumb