PuC and the Liam Miller Fundraiser

Started by Baile Brigín 2, July 18, 2018, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmk

Quote from: smelmoth on July 21, 2018, 12:34:29 PM
This debacle does not deflect well on our organisation..

The game should go ahead in PuC.

To those who say it can't go ahead because of the rules: can we count at your enthusiastic support to change the rules at next Congress. If not, why not?

To those who say it shouldn't go ahead: why not? If Ulster Rugby had declined to facilitate a similar fund raiser coordinated aroun a GAA star what would the reaction have been?
Its very unlikely for Ulster Rugby to be asked to host a major fundraiser for a GAA  star as multiple GAA facilities in Ulster could be used . The people here who should be coming under criticism are the FAI. When have they ever put a decent stadium in place? No it is always a case of someone else can bale us out.

Rossfan

I presume all those who are "outraged" have given a good donation to the cause!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on July 21, 2018, 02:40:00 PM
I presume all those who are "outraged" have given a good donation to the cause!

Your position has been shown to be terrible and this is your response?

laoislad

Quote from: jmk on July 21, 2018, 02:26:02 PM

To those who say it can't go ahead because of the rules: can we count at your enthusiastic support to change the rules at next Congress. If not, why not?

To those who say it shouldn't go ahead: why not? If Ulster Rugby had declined to facilitate a similar fund raiser coordinated aroun a GAA star what would the reaction have been?
Its very unlikely for Ulster Rugby to be asked to host a major fundraiser for a GAA  star as multiple GAA facilities in Ulster could be used . The people here who should be coming under criticism are the FAI. When have they ever put a decent stadium in place? No it is always a case of someone else can bale us out.
Nobody is being asked to bail the FAI out. This isn't a FAI event. It's a charity fundraiser.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

smelmoth

You are completely missing the point

Ulster Rugby have already facilitated the fundraiser. And why? Because the GAA didn't have a stadium and would stand accused of everything the FAI are being accused of in Cork.

Jinxy

The GAA

Verified account

@officialgaa
Follow Follow @officialgaa
More
The GAA President and Ard Stiúrthóir, along with representatives of the Cork Committee, are to seek a meeting with the organising committee of the Liam Miller Tribute Match to discuss issues around the game.

https://twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1020673187229634561
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

The state of the GAA needing the public to tell them when they are being jackasses, always reactionary to the prevailing winds rather than showing any level of awareness. Do the bloody right thing.

Jinxy

If they do see sense and resolve this issue, I will be delighted for the following reasons:
a) It is 100% the right & decent thing to do and will raise a lot of money for a great cause
and,
b) It will stick it right up all the GAAAAAHH/Grab All Association muppets on social media, who are using this issue as a vehicle for their virulent hatred of gaelic games.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on July 21, 2018, 03:55:49 PM
If they do see sense and resolve this issue, I will be delighted for the following reasons:
a) It is 100% the right & decent thing to do and will raise a lot of money for a great cause
and,
b) It will stick it right up all the GAAAAAHH/Grab All Association muppets on social media, who are using this issue as a vehicle for their virulent hatred of gaelic games.

Those who think B have been sadly proven very right on this one. The GAA relenting because they rightly got dog's abuse won't change that. Getting it right from square one was the only way they could have avoided playing into that image.

smelmoth

Quote from: Syferus on July 21, 2018, 04:06:31 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 21, 2018, 03:55:49 PM
and,

Those who think B have been sadly proven very right on this one. The GAA relenting because they rightly got dog's abuse won't change that. Getting it right from square one was the only way they could have avoided playing into that image.

That's correct. The gracelessness to date means there will be little positive publicity but the sooner the correct decision is made the sooner the negative publicity will end. This is now a case of damage limitation

Jinxy

Nah, for them to be proven right the GAA would have to dig their heels in now and refuse to budge.
I'm already noticing quite a few of these types on social media saying the organisers should tell the GAA to stick it.
They don't want an outcome where people are saying, "Fair play to the GAA, they admitted they made a mistake."
This has little or nothing to do with Liam Miller for those people.
It's just a stick to beat the GAA with.
I would agree that HQ are basically walking around handing out sticks for the last couple of months, but if there is a reversal here it's because ordinary people, specifically ordinary GAA people, raised their voices, similar to the Newbridge fiasco.
It's interesting that the DG and President are meeting the organisers, which again leads me to believe there may be two distinct factions at play here.

larryin89

Quote from: Jinxy on July 21, 2018, 04:27:22 PM
Nah, for them to be proven right the GAA would have to dig their heels in now and refuse to budge.
I'm already noticing quite a few of these types on social media saying the organisers should tell the GAA to stick it.
They don't want an outcome where people are saying, "Fair play to the GAA, they admitted they made a mistake."
I would agree that HQ are basically walking around handing out sticks for the last couple of months, but if there is a reversal here it's because ordinary people, specifically ordinary GAA people, raised their voices, similar to the Newbridge fiasco.
It's interesting that the DG and President are meeting the organisers, which again leads me to believe there may be two distinct factions at play here.

That's fair enough but where does all this giving into public outcry end , sure will there be any need for a governing body at all?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

smelmoth

Quote from: larryin89 on July 21, 2018, 04:41:12 PM

That's fair enough but where does all this giving into public outcry end , sure will there be any need for a governing body at all?

It ends when you get things right and do so quickly.

Jinxy

Quote from: larryin89 on July 21, 2018, 04:41:12 PM

There was an outcry about the Newbridge issue because the optics were so bad, i.e. the big bad corporate GAA basically telling Kildare they had to play in Croke Park even though they were entitled to play at home. Issues like this, which are so inherently unfair, suck in the casual observer who will happily go to bat for 'the little guy'.
In the Miller case, we are talking about a young sportsman, with a young family, who died of cancer.
The money raised by the game will help support his family and cancer research.
The word 'cancer' is emotive enough at the best of times, but when you have someone like Vicky Phelan, who carries herself with such dignity and integrity tweeting extensively about the PUC issue, you need to understand that this is much much bigger than 'the soccer crowd want to use our pitch'.
This is a very specific set of circumstances, unlikely to be repeated again anytime soon.
And if they are repeated, the right thing to do now will still be the right thing to do then.

Baile Brigín 2

Did the IRFU  not host a game in Ravenhill because Belfast has no GAA stadium?

So your point is very silly. And wrong.