Birthdays at work

Started by An Fear Rua, July 29, 2008, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fear Rua

in england, if its your birthday your expected to bring cakes etc to work to hand out to your work colleagues. Despite being here a considerable amount of years, Ive not really got my head around the concept of bribing people to wish you a happy birthday.

Is this done in Ireland? If anything I would be expecting my colleagues to bring me something?
Its Grim up North

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: An Fear Rua on July 29, 2008, 12:11:58 PM
in england, if its your birthday your expected to bring cakes etc to work to hand out to your work colleagues. Despite being here a considerable amount of years, Ive not really got my head around the concept of bribing people to wish you a happy birthday.

Is this done in Ireland? If anything I would be expecting my colleagues to bring me something?

Yeah same in my work, I don't even eat biscuits or cakes!!
Tbc....

passedit

Quote from: An Fear Rua on July 29, 2008, 12:11:58 PM

Very english alright AFR, although in my last ever proper job you were expected to bring them all to the pub and throw the credit card behind the bar as well!
Don't Panic

Rois

Yes, try feeding 80 people when the office is busy  :-[

Goats Do Shave

Same in here... Buns for birthdays, engagements, leaving, babies, new starts... coming in on a friday, meetings!

We're all obese!  :P

nifan

We do the bun thing here, and also in other places i have worked in Belfast,

An Fear Rua

Quote from: nifan on July 29, 2008, 02:37:01 PM

who brings them in ? Is there a central kitty for it, or is the person whos birthday it is expected to fork out? 

There a woman on the next row of desks from me, its her birthday and se has brought a load of stuff in. There are people gravitating to her desk that Ive never seen even say hello to her in the few months Ive been here, thats cheeky as f**k imho.
Its Grim up North

nifan

Birthday person brings them in and plonks them in the kitchen, where a free for all ensues.

As the company has grown the quality has got more variable, and there seems to be a lot more people than birthdays these days,

Maximus Marillius

In my wee business the staff get off on there birthdays...what do ye think of that LB...I'm to generous.

Puckoon

We have a monthly cake morning which encompasses all birthdays that month. boss pays for it.

ziggysego

We don't do it where I work.
Testing Accessibility

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: An Fear Rua on July 29, 2008, 02:43:28 PM
Quote from: nifan on July 29, 2008, 02:37:01 PM

who brings them in ? Is there a central kitty for it, or is the person whos birthday it is expected to fork out? 

There a woman on the next row of desks from me, its her birthday and se has brought a load of stuff in. There are people gravitating to her desk that Ive never seen even say hello to her in the few months Ive been here, thats cheeky as f**k imho.

Have to pay for them ourselves on our B'day - mine just passed, went to the bakery, cream cakes and tray bakes (for the good liv'in! ;) - Dannymcfella thats a joke btw) spent over £17 and that was with the wee woman in the shop giving me discounts (only 15 in the office) - And I don't even eat the bloody things.
Tbc....

Puckoon

What the f**k kind of a deal is it where you have to buy stuff on your birthday? Thats the silliest thing Ive heard of in a long while.

charlie stubbs

my boss takes you out 4 lunch on your birthday and at xmas,bought 210 lollies today as well due to the heat in the factory!

pintsofguinness

I've banned that shite at my work. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?