Skyscraper tower crane drivers?

Started by youngfella, June 12, 2008, 09:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngfella

I'm asking all the big questions today. You know the ones that everyone always wants to know but is afraid to ask.

So starting the ball rolling. How do the drivers in skyscraper tower cranes get to work in the morning? Just asking seeing as i've just seen one of our tower crane drivers take about 10 mins to get to the top of a 14 story tower crane. Got me thinking with any building in excess of say 20 stories must take forever to get to work. So anyone know how they do it?
Pull hard and early

ziggysego

I stayed in a Hotel in Lourdes, where the Hotel was built around the crane and now the crane is stuck inside the Hotel.
Testing Accessibility

Bogball XV

Quote from: youngfella on June 12, 2008, 09:53:09 AM
I'm asking all the big questions today. You know the ones that everyone always wants to know but is afraid to ask.

So starting the ball rolling. How do the drivers in skyscraper tower cranes get to work in the morning? Just asking seeing as i've just seen one of our tower crane drivers take about 10 mins to get to the top of a 14 story tower crane. Got me thinking with any building in excess of say 20 stories must take forever to get to work. So anyone know how they do it?

I used to work opposite a site, don't know how high, but the guy didn't come down at lunchtime, took him a good ten to get up there in the morning and the same to get back down - now, what I wondered was what they do in terms of toilet during the day??

umgolaarmagh

If the crane is in the lift shaft core then he can go up the hoist and climb the remaining 15/20m

bingobus

Had a brother who worked as banksman for a crane driver, basically he arranged the loads that he was lifting, told him what to lift and where to lift it to and then directed him to his "delivery". On the bigger, busier sites he would often get "perks" from different contractors to get their loads up the pecking order. Got cash, drink, various tickets and a set of Ping golf clubs (extremely hot but he was told they had been left in car that was been scrapped  ;D  ;D )

I'll ask him your question next time I'm talking to him.

Mid Mon

Usually in skyscrapers the lower stories will be compleated and occupied before construction of the upper stories has been finished. The crane driver will use d active lift in the building to within 10 to 15 stories of his work height. then via a bridge access the crane ladder.