Official Irish Football Association Thread (Northern Ireland)

Started by Mentalman, September 04, 2007, 11:39:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Itchy on November 09, 2017, 09:12:23 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 09, 2017, 09:04:59 PM
Soft penalty for Switzerland to give them the lead at time when they were looking to be running out of ideas.

Running out of ideas? Swiss at their ease. Peno was a joke decision but there's only one team on that pitch able to compete
A load of long range hit and hope shots before that penalty a pure sign of a team that was running out of ideas. The Northern Ireland penalty appeal was more of hand ball than the one the Swiss got.

Itchy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 09, 2017, 09:29:42 PM
Quote from: Itchy on November 09, 2017, 09:12:23 PM
Soft penalty for Switzerland to give them the lead at time when they were looking to be running out of ideas.

Running out of ideas? Swiss at their ease. Peno was a joke decision but there's only one team on that pitch able to compete
A load of long range hit and hope shots before that penalty a pure sign of a team that was running out of ideas. The Northern Ireland penalty appeal was more of hand ball than the one the Swiss got.

the northern Ireland penalty appeal was ridiculous, ball clearly hit him on chest/chin nowhere near his arm. Swiss should've been 2 or 3 nil up before goal.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Syferus on November 09, 2017, 09:23:55 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 09, 2017, 09:18:42 PM
What he has done with ni is one of the better jobs you would see in world football irrespective of outcome here.

Iceland, playing better football and off a population less than half that of Belfast, is far more impressive. All three island teams have done well recently.

Yeah but as well as anything here has rugby, gaa, hockey etc. and not everyone in ni wants to play for Ni. Agree though iceland doing fantastic and arguably better.

red hander

JPGJOHNNYG

World cup qualifier at home. You havent qualified in 30 yrs so strange time to play one of your worst games in years. Awfull stuff. I just hope the republic have a bit more ambition. The moaning about the penalty is a distraction moan about the lack of quality. First time in a while they actually looked like the club players they really are. Still 1-0 in Basle isnt impossible

imtommygunn

I don't think saturday will see adventure. Tuesday will depend on what happens saturday i suspect!

From the Bunker

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 09, 2017, 09:44:38 PM
World cup qualifier at home. You havent qualified in 30 yrs so strange time to play one of your worst games in years. Awfull stuff. I just hope the republic have a bit more ambition. The moaning about the penalty is a distraction moan about the lack of quality. First time in a while they actually looked like the club players they really are. Still 1-0 in Basle isnt impossible

If Northern Ireland were losing 3 to 4 nil and that Penalty was awarded, then it would be a distraction moan. You'd have to be disgusted for a decision like that to go against you.

Syferus

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 09, 2017, 09:47:10 PM
I don't think saturday will see adventure. Tuesday will depend on what happens saturday i suspect!

No adventure over the 180 at all. It's going to be the same old guts and glory, hoofball approach. It's brought us this far and there's no chance we're about to change.

Asal Mor

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 09, 2017, 09:09:08 PM

Harsh but northern ireland have been dung nothing like some of their more recent performances. A bad decision but switzerland deserve to be  at least 2-0 up
They got a penalty they shouldn't have. They deserve to be 0-0.

I've never understood the notion that a team that creates lots of chances but doesn't take them deserves to win.

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 09, 2017, 09:48:44 PM
Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on November 09, 2017, 09:44:38 PM

If Northern Ireland were losing 3 to 4 nil and that Penalty was awarded, then it would be a distraction moan. You'd have to be disgusted for a decision like that to go against you.

It was a bad decidision but switzerland should have been out of sight. Colin murray equating it to the Thierry Henry moment like wtf. The difference being ireland should have been out of sight that night hence the feeling of being robbed. Northern ireland created nothing tonight so at best were playing for a 0-0 the swiss missed several good chances. Still the swiss are no great shakes so a bit more positivity and a bit of luck and you never know

Arthur_Friend

Quote from: Asal Mor on November 09, 2017, 09:56:38 PM

Harsh but northern ireland have been dung nothing like some of their more recent performances. A bad decision but switzerland deserve to be  at least 2-0 up

I've never understood the notion that a team that creates lots of chances but doesn't take them deserves to win.

Agreed. If it should have been 2-0 to Switzerland then why wasn't it?

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Asal Mor on November 09, 2017, 09:56:38 PM

True but you could argue that the swiss later didnt get a penalty that was legit. Just felt fir such a big game nirthern ireland were very negative and only gave it a go in the last 15-20 mins

Captain Obvious

If the officials got those penalty decision correct Northern Ireland providing they scored their penalty would have won that game 1-0 putting them in a great position to win this tie. After the Henry hand ball against the Republic of Ireland you would think these officials would be more tuned in by now?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Syferus on November 09, 2017, 09:49:00 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 09, 2017, 09:47:10 PM

No adventure over the 180 at all. It's gonig to be the same old guts and glory, hoofball approach. It's brought us this far res no chance we're about to change.

A 2-0 or more lead to denmark might see something but would prefer not to see that.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 09, 2017, 09:37:25 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 09, 2017, 09:23:55 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 09, 2017, 09:18:42 PM
What he has done with ni is one of the better jobs you would see in world football irrespective of outcome here.

Iceland, playing better football and off a population less than half that of Belfast, is far more impressive. All three island teams have done well recently.

Yeah but as well as anything here has rugby, gaa, hockey etc. and not everyone in ni wants to play for Ni. Agree though iceland doing fantastic and arguably better.
Switzerland are a much better team. They are also better at cross community relations.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU