?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 09, 2010, 09:55:30 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 08, 2010, 11:03:26 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 08, 2010, 09:47:37 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 08, 2010, 09:24:15 PM
Myles, any chance on you giving us some constructive input on Celtic?
Easy one - bring Paul Lambert back to CP, maybe with Lenny as his assistant.

Lambert has already stated that he doesn't want to return to the "goldfish bowl" of Glasgow soccer.
So not to constructive, try again, also another thing, do you have anything positive to say about the club?

So, waiting.
I could, given a bit of time, find something positive to say about nearly every football club in existence. Did you have a point to make, or are you just at a bit of a loose end?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: SambaSaffron on May 09, 2010, 09:54:27 PM
::) Indeed. Insinuating that someone isn't qualified to comment on a sport because it isn't their favourite sport is the biggest balls I've ever heard.
Gary Caldwell is pish, no matter what Roberto Martinez, you or Caldwell himself think. Half a season where he performed reasonably well does not by any stretch make him a good player.
He's not the greatest centre back in the world, but he's certainly good enough for the SPL and seems to be doing okay in the EPL since he's he's been down there.

saffron sam2

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 08, 2010, 11:50:40 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 08, 2010, 10:08:20 PM
Paul Lambert?
success with an English 3rd division team entitles him to jack.
Lennon would quite rightly walk away from the mad house that would make such an insulting offer to him.
Lambert is now on his 3rd club as a manager. Each one, he has left in a better position than when he started. That makes him a far better prospect as Celtic manager than Neil Lennon, who has no managerial experience at all. If you think Lambert is unqualified, then Lennon is a non starter is he not?

Interestingly, Celtic was Mowbray's third club as a manager. The other two, he has left in a better position than when he started.

In addition, his % wins is better than Lambert's (44.78% vs. 42.9%).

Are you saying the Celts should bring back Mowbray?

Strange.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 09, 2010, 11:57:18 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 09, 2010, 09:55:30 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 08, 2010, 11:03:26 PM

Lambert has already stated that he doesn't want to return to the "goldfish bowl" of Glasgow soccer.
So not to constructive, try again, also another thing, do you have anything positive to say about the club?

So, waiting.
I could, given a bit of time, find something positive to say about nearly every football club in existence. Did you have a point to make, or are you just at a bit of a loose end?

My point is that you claim to be a Celtic fan, yet I am having great difficulty in remembering you ever having anything positive to say about the team.
Now again have you anything positive to say about the club?
Tbc....

illdecide

The word on the street yesterday was that Avram Grant was getting the job and that it's to be kept hush hush until they play their cup final, i think it'll be harsh on Neil Lennon to give it to anybody else...Some guys in Lurgan claim to have backed Grant at 33/1 with the bookies ages ago (haven't seen the betting slip myself so until i do i doubt he'd be that price)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Main Street

I think Mowbray got in better players than he inherited, but was let down by a combination of a persistent spate of injuries to the back 4 and erratic management of the team.

The Board gave Mowbray enough support, even to the wallet lightening exercise of the Keane signing. I think they can be trusted to make a considered decision over a new manager.
Atm, I 'd have Mark Hughes or Avram Grant, with Lenny in 3rd place well ahead of the pack.

Main Street

I just saw your post illdecide.
Grant has come in from 28/1 to 20/1.
I think that is an excellent price for a gambling man (not me). If Grant was inclined to take the job, it would be a major enough coup for Celtic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Main Street on May 10, 2010, 02:57:22 PM
I just saw your post illdecide.
Grant has come in from 28/1 to 20/1.
I think that is an excellent price for a gambling man (not me). If Grant was inclined to take the job, it would be a major enough coup for Celtic

Whatever about major, it certainly would be interesting!
Tbc....

Main Street

"Major enough" is less than major.
Major enough to be interesting. Major enough to turn a few heads.
:)

Myles Na G.

Quote from: saffron sam2 on May 10, 2010, 08:30:24 AM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 08, 2010, 11:50:40 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 08, 2010, 10:08:20 PM
Paul Lambert?
success with an English 3rd division team entitles him to jack.
Lennon would quite rightly walk away from the mad house that would make such an insulting offer to him.
Lambert is now on his 3rd club as a manager. Each one, he has left in a better position than when he started. That makes him a far better prospect as Celtic manager than Neil Lennon, who has no managerial experience at all. If you think Lambert is unqualified, then Lennon is a non starter is he not?

Interestingly, Celtic was Mowbray's third club as a manager. The other two, he has left in a better position than when he started.
In addition, his % wins is better than Lambert's (44.78% vs. 42.9%).

Are you saying the Celts should bring back Mowbray?

Strange.
Not true. He left Hibs more or less where he found them. They played some attractive football, but won nothing. Hibs fans don't want him back, if the comments on here are anything to go by:
http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/showthread.php?95424-Would-We-Take-Mowbray-Back
As for West Brom, he joined them in the Championship and left them there too. Under Mowbray, they were a joke team in the EPL. How's that leaving them in a better place?

Main Street

Mowbray joined West Brom in the Championship. He took over a relegated team which was not good enough to get promoted. Mowbray got rid of Robson's players and they got promoted. They got relegated of course, but with a team that was good enough to bounce back. Mowbray left them in a better place than when he took over.

Hound

Quote from: Main Street on May 10, 2010, 08:41:46 PM
Mowbray joined West Brom in the Championship. He took over a relegated team which was not good enough to get promoted. Mowbray got rid of Robson's players and they got promoted. They got relegated of course, but with a team that was good enough to bounce back. Mowbray left them in a better place than when he took over.
Big ToMo would pay for you to write the history books.

Gets all the credit for the 2008 promotion (rather than ex-manager) and all the credit for the 2010 promotion (rather than the current manager)
Nice
;D

Myles Na G.

Er...you could say the same thing about Robson's team, in that case. Teams relegated from the EPL often bounce straight back. It's the direct result of the parachute payments paid by the EPL to relegated clubs. It means they can afford to pay Premiership standard wages and thus attract Premiership standard players, or to hold on to the ones they've got.

Main Street

Quote from: Hound on May 10, 2010, 08:58:56 PM
Big ToMo would pay for you to write the history books.

Gets all the credit for the 2008 promotion (rather than ex-manager) and all the credit for the 2010 promotion (rather than the current manager)
Nice
;D

I would rather more accurately describe it as interpreting history as it happened.
The ex-manager, Robson, got them relegated. Mowbray took over. That team spent a season in the championship and missed out on promotion. Mowbray then got rid of the bulk of Robson's team and replaced them with a team that won promotion in their second season in the championship
Of course Mowbray gets the credit.

Main Street

Quote from: Myles Na G. on May 10, 2010, 09:00:03 PM
Er...you could say the same thing about Robson's team, in that case. Teams relegated from the EPL often bounce straight back. It's the direct result of the parachute payments paid by the EPL to relegated clubs. It means they can afford to pay Premiership standard wages and thus attract Premiership standard players, or to hold on to the ones they've got.
Eh you cant Myles,  because Robson's team was not good enough to win promotion on the bounce back. West Brom were not good enough until Mowbray made the changes.
However a Tony Mowbray relegated team was good enough to win promotion, straight away on merit.
It's bleedin' obvious
QED   ;D