?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 04, 2009, 05:16:03 PM
Quote from: Clown on February 04, 2009, 05:12:57 PM
did o'neill walk from Leicester to Glasgow?
holy god, u learn something new everyday
:D
holy feck, I hope yer taking the p*ss

in case you took me literally
MON's da told him if he was ever offered the Celtic job, he should 'walk to Celtic park'
so I was joking in that he walked, but showing how serious he and his family were about Celtic...

so serious that he refused to sign a long term contract, talked to several other clubs while he was Celtic manager, and walked out the moment he had a decent excuse. And if you think it wasn't an excuse, explain to me why his two coaches, Robertson and Walford, didn't take up the offers they had of other jobs while MON was out of action, preferring instead to hang around and wait for the boss to get back in the saddle. Celtic man my arse. Good manager, obviously, but ambitious and unsentimental when it came to  it.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on February 04, 2009, 05:37:31 PM

MON's da told him if he was ever offered the Celtic job, he should 'walk to Celtic park'
so I was joking in that he walked, but showing how serious he and his family were about Celtic...

so serious that he refused to sign a long term contract, talked to several other clubs while he was Celtic manager, and walked out the moment he had a decent excuse. And if you think it wasn't an excuse, explain to me why his two coaches, Robertson and Walford, didn't take up the offers they had of other jobs while MON was out of action, preferring instead to hang around and wait for the boss to get back in the saddle. Celtic man my arse. Good manager, obviously, but ambitious and unsentimental when it came to  it.

thats all based on here-say.

I think that his wife who never settled in Glasgow (but he still stayed 5 years - speaks volumes) was very ill, so its a bit bad on your part to say something as throwaway like that.
Also leeds and others spoke to him but he declined to leave. How this can be his fault is beyond me.
Dont get what your point is regarding walford and robbo.
Did you get all this info from wikipedia too?
Certainly not a MON fan are we !
(as well as not a 'real' Celtic fan ! based on your lack of knowledge on the subject)

the only thing I would half agree with you is on the sentimentality, though MON still speaks fondly of Cletic etc etc and has been caught in recent years since leaving still referring to them as 'we' !
A good manager CANT be sentimental - but MON still has a thing for the Celts.
One more wee snippet for you, if Dermot Desmond ever succeeds in getting Celtic into the epl, then he has a good shot at getting MON back.
Gentlemans agreement of sorts.
you wont read or find that in any newspaper!
;)

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 04, 2009, 05:48:06 PM

I think that his wife who never settled in Glasgow (but he still stayed 5 years - speaks volumes) was very ill, so its a bit bad on your part to say something as throwaway like that.
Also leeds and others spoke to him but he declined to leave. How this can be his fault is beyond me.
(as well as not a 'real' Celtic fan ! based on your lack of knowledge on the subject)

the only thing I would half agree with you is on the sentimentality, though MON still speaks fondly of Cletic etc etc and has been caught in recent years since leaving still referring to them as 'we' !
One more wee snippet for you, if Dermot Desmond ever succeeds in getting Celtic into the epl, then he has a good shot at getting MON back.
;)

He stayed 5 years in that period because he didn't get the offer he wanted. He also spoke to Spurs in that time. If Liverpool had made a move for him then, he'd have been away. He made Houlier's job more difficult by refusing to squash speculation that he was interested in the job, even when invited by journalists to rule himself out. All the time he refused to sign anything but a one year rolling contract with the Hoops. (might be wrong, but I think he's signed a longer deal with Villa) My point about the coaches is that they kept themselves available knowing that MON was coming back and that his absence was going to be for a short time only. They couldn't have known this for sure unless MON himself had told them. If his wife's situation had been that critical (and I'm not for a second saying she wasn't ill) wouldn't you think he'd have said to his two mates 'listen fellas, don't know how long this will take or how it's going to turn out, you two need to look after yourselves...' I'm not knocking MON for no reason. I think he did a great job for Celtic and I think he's a great manager. What I can't stand is when people compare him with Strachan and find in favour of MON because 'he's a Celtic man' and wee Gordon isn't. What the hell is a Celtic man these days anyway?

stibhan

Myles, speculating on how sick or not someone's wife is f**king ridiculous. And Strachan is facing a Rangers team that has been absolutely gash for 4 years running--O'Neill's performance as a manager in his last year was bad because he had issues to deal with and trying to guess how big those issues were is appalling behaviour. Strachan's team plays unattractive, rank rotten football and  he wastes far too much money on players that end up leaving. He alienates fans with poor media communication and poor football, and for that reason he isn't better than O'Neill.

Doogie Browser

Myles, stop talking drivel, Strachan is incomparable to O'Neill.  How many top EPL teams covet Strachan??
Strachan is just lucky Rangers have been shit and have no cash.

Doogie Browser

I also think everyone agrees MON acted with complete dignity during his wife's illness. You are the first dissenting voice I have heard in relation to that time, shame on you.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: stibhan on February 04, 2009, 06:44:47 PM
Myles, speculating on how sick or not someone's wife is f**king ridiculous. And Strachan is facing a Rangers team that has been absolutely gash for 4 years running--O'Neill's performance as a manager in his last year was bad because he had issues to deal with and trying to guess how big those issues were is appalling behaviour. Strachan's team plays unattractive, rank rotten football and  he wastes far too much money on players that end up leaving. He alienates fans with poor media communication and poor football, and for that reason he isn't better than O'Neill.
I've no problem when people find fault with Strachan. What I object to, as I've said, is when people come down in favour of MON for no other reason than that he is perceived to be 'a Celtic man.' Somebody define for me what that is please. Because if it's about loyalty or love of the Hoops, then Tommy Burns, Danny McGrain, Billy McNeill, etc might be Celtic men, but MON? A good manager, with excellent PR skills (unlike wee Strachan) but to describe him as a Celtic man is to devalue the term IMO.

Doogie Browser

Only two Celtic managers have got the team to a European final in the clubs illustrious 121 year history, for that reason alone MON will always be a Celtic man. 

fred the red

Quote from: Myles Na G. on February 04, 2009, 07:01:51 PM
I've no problem when people find fault with Strachan. What I object to, as I've said, is when people come down in favour of MON for no other reason than that he is perceived to be 'a Celtic man.' Somebody define for me what that is please. Because if it's about loyalty or love of the Hoops, then Tommy Burns, Danny McGrain, Billy McNeill, etc might be Celtic men, but MON? A good manager, with excellent PR skills (unlike wee Strachan) but to describe him as a Celtic man is to devalue the term IMO.

Lads- why dont yous just put the WUM on your ignore list, his drivel is hard to read, not too hard when you ignore it though!

Myles Na G.

Quote from: fred the red on February 04, 2009, 07:04:19 PM

Lads- why dont yous just put the WUM on your ignore list, his drivel is hard to read, not too hard when you ignore it though!
If you've an opinion on the topic, give it. Otherwise get off the thread.

stibhan

I don't like Strachan, and not because he's a Presbyterian but because he is an annoying wee git. The whole Celtic man thing is ridiculous in my opinion, obviously Tommy bled Celtic throughout his entire life but then if you're manager of the team then you're about as Celtic as you can get regardless of religious or national identity. The term 'Celtic man' can't be devalued because it means absolutely nothing.

Main Street

I've no problem when people find fault with Strachan. What I object to, as I've said, is when people come down in favour of MON for no other reason than that he is perceived to be 'a Celtic man.'
Which "people come down in favour of MON for no other reason than that he is perceived to be 'a Celtic man.'?

or as more likely, you are full of surmises again,
because sure as hell you have not been reading the replies on this thread by the posters about Strachan.

carribbear

Quote from: fred the red on February 04, 2009, 07:04:19 PM

I'm going to start a Rangers thread so we can give them their own forum...

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on February 04, 2009, 06:23:45 PM

;)

He stayed 5 years in that period because he didn't get the offer he wanted. He also spoke to Spurs in that time. If Liverpool had made a move for him then, he'd have been away. He made Houlier's job more difficult by refusing to squash speculation that he was interested in the job, even when invited by journalists to rule himself out. All the time he refused to sign anything but a one year rolling contract with the Hoops. (might be wrong, but I think he's signed a longer deal with Villa) My point about the coaches is that they kept themselves available knowing that MON was coming back and that his absence was going to be for a short time only. They couldn't have known this for sure unless MON himself had told them. If his wife's situation had been that critical (and I'm not for a second saying she wasn't ill) wouldn't you think he'd have said to his two mates 'listen fellas, don't know how long this will take or how it's going to turn out, you two need to look after yourselves...' I'm not knocking MON for no reason. I think he did a great job for Celtic and I think he's a great manager. What I can't stand is when people compare him with Strachan and find in favour of MON because 'he's a Celtic man' and wee Gordon isn't. What the hell is a Celtic man these days anyway?
jes*s christ
Joseph christ
mary christ
and the wee donkey

do actually f**king believe that tosh you wrote !

see replies from the rest of the posters to guage the level of bullsh*t you have written

all you write is here-say from tabloid land obv from wikipedia.
FFS
at least its not just me that sees through your wum nonsense !

Myles Na G.

Quote from: lynchbhoy on February 04, 2009, 09:18:29 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on February 04, 2009, 06:23:45 PM

;)

jes*s christ
Joseph christ
mary christ
and the wee donkey

do actually f**king believe that tosh you wrote !

see replies from the rest of the posters to guage the level of bullsh*t you have written

all you write is here-say from tabloid land obv from wikipedia.
FFS
at least its not just me that sees through your wum nonsense !

'yep, although he is a confirmed Celtic man, the lure of bigger cash wages and cash rich epl clubs (in comparison to the penny pinching of the spl) would most likely win him over.
Not many fellas would 'walk to Celtic park' if offered the job like MON !'

'but showing how serious he and his family were about Celtic...'

Do you and the other big boys really believe that naieve crap?