bennydorano

Quote from: michaelg on March 10, 2021, 06:48:49 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on March 10, 2021, 06:42:18 PM
Quote from: michaelg on March 10, 2021, 06:18:25 PM
Quote from: straightred on March 10, 2021, 03:06:16 PM
Quote from: michaelg on March 10, 2021, 02:46:20 PM
Quote from: straightred on March 10, 2021, 12:14:52 PM
Quote from: tiempo on March 10, 2021, 12:02:07 PM
Just saying like its great to see the smiles on the faces of children and ordinary decent teddy bears in the context of a sporting victory achieved in some style against the backdrop of covid and a 10 year journey from the bottom tier of Scottish football. Hard to imagine anyone disagreeing with that.

Except they aren't smiling. 6th Sam summarised it very well earlier. Its anger and gloating and carnage and woe betide anyone who dares call them out. Its behaving like thugs and then refusing to own it. It's mock sympathy in the form of vile chanting for the victims of child abuse while conveniently ignoring the victims who were abused within the walls of Ibrox (one was abused in the managers office ffs). They only ever want to own the good stuff. The bad stuff is always someone else's fault. Totally accepting Celtic's shameful past in this regard to this day the huns haven't apologised for the abuse at the hands of their coaches. Only a few years ago they told one victim who was seeking redress to contact the old club as it was nothing to do with them. Its an old club when they are counting titles but a new club when it comes to addressing liabilities. They can't have it both ways.

I repeat what I said previously. There is no old firm. Celtic want nothing to do with them and who could blame them.
Funny how you reference gloating (Can you see the Rangers etc) and thuggery (Supporters throwing stones at their own team's bus) without even a hint of irony!

There's different levels. No issue with the "can we see us now" stuff. That's good humoured banter. Have you looked at the videos from the weekend. Up to their knees in fenian blood and all crap. Trashing the celtic shop, trashing george's square. There's even one lad having a w**k while the mob encourage him. That's the levels you're dealing with here.

I'm not going to stand up for clowns throwing stones at a bus but don't anyone try to tell me that both sides are equal. They're not and they never have been.
Up to their knees in fenian blood vs Songs about Lee Rigby & Mountbatten.  Seems equal enough to me.

I've said it before. Never heard Celtic fans sing about Mountbatten but don't see why you've any reason to lie about it. Can't excuse either but sings about Mountbatten or Lee Rigby are hardly favourites or sang often unlike the Billy boys. Hardly a like for like comparison
Alright then, what about the Pro IRA songs and IRA chants at Celtic Park.  Is that a close enough 'likeness'?
Maybe at away games, has been proactively tackled at home games on pain of losing season tickets. Quite a high profile campaign about it too.

ned

Original debate started around some posters feeling the need to congratulate Rangers. Other posters pointed out why they won't congratulate them. Their fans showed in abundance this weekend the reason why most are loathe to countenance it.
They won the league by a margin and could have celebrated accordingly. However, the fans and team/club decided to break covid restriction regulations and to cause destruction and despair in Glasgow especially.
All the false equivalence thrown about does not detract from the sheer loathsome nature of their celebrations. Only one set of fans did that.
And only one set of fans and one club elicited the quotes below.

This has to be said about Rangers, as a Scottish Football club they are a permanent embarrassment and an occasional disgrace. This country would be a better place if Rangers did not exist." Ian Archer (Scottish journalist, 1970s)

"The incessant bigoted chanting by Rangers fans at Hampden was shocking. Unarguably the most socially-backward fans in British football. The really damaging thing for RFC is, it's not the mythical 'small minority'. There appear to be 1000s upon 1000s singing these songs."
Graham Spiers (Journalist and Rangers fan) on his Twitter feed commenting on their league cup final appearance (March 2011)

I'd just come from Italy and France which are catholic countries,very warm and friendly,and here I was in Glasgow with some of my team-mates [i.e. fellow Rangers players] hating catholics. I just couldn't understand it and frankly found it ridiculous."
Ray Wilkins on an ESPN documentary said about Rangers (June 2007)

Walter Smith, a two-time former manager of the club, once said to me: "There is a Protestant superiority syndrome around this club . . . you can feel it."
Graham Spiers quoting Walter Smith (taken from his book on Paul Le Guen's time at Rangers, 2007)

"I was reluctant to entertain exposing my family to the risk of a recurrence of the bigotry that I had encountered in my playing days... Cathy's religion [she was Catholic] would probably have been enough in itself to convince me that returning to Rangers was not a good idea."
Alex Ferguson (ex-Rangers player) on why he turned down advances to take over Rangers managers role

"The principal muck-spreader was Willie Allison, the bigoted public relations officer, who clearly felt that anybody married to a Catholic was not a fit and proper person to play for Rangers. Allison was a religious bigot of the deepest dye. I had a thoroughly Protestant upbringing but, of course, Cathy is Catholic and so were my mother's family."
Alex Ferguson (ex-Rangers player) on Rangers

To the Rangers fans: "Stay and vomit in your own home, urinate in the corner of your own sitting room, fight with your own neighbours Celtic (who deserve a medal for putting up with you) and foul the streets of Glasgow. Don't come back to Barcelona, you're an embarrassment. And while we're at it, don't play in the Champions League. You're not up to scratch, either on a sporting or human level.
There are noisy supports who, even though they drink large quantities of beer, make friends. Not you lot, because you turn everywhere you go into dumps. You are undesirables."
El Mundo Deportivo Newspaper on Rangers after the Rangers game v Barcelona in the Nou Camp (Nov 07)

The people in that CCTV footage acted like a pack of wolves. Whatever happened earlier there was no excuse for this level of violence. "
Assistant Chief Constable Justine Curran, the match commander during Rangers' shame in the UEFA Cup Final "Battle of Piccadilly" in Manchester

"The SPL needs Rangers. Few SPL chairmen came out in support of Rangers and that took me by surprise. We used to make a joke at Ibrox: 'We are Rangers, super Rangers, no-one likes us, we don't care . . .' But I hadn't quite appreciated, prior to this, the degree to which people didn't like Rangers, right across the board."
"I don't know the exact answer to that. I have said, and I will say again, that maybe I bear a part of the responsibility for it. In the great days at Rangers we did lord it a bit, there's no doubt about that. "Looking back on it now, I think that was wrong. Someone once said, 'never kick a man when you're on the way up, because you might meet him when you're on the way down.' I think that has been a classic case with Rangers."
Donald Findlay (ex-Rangers board member)

What the rest of the world will never understand unless they experience it first hand is that Rangers Football Club is a religion, in itself, built on centuries of religious bigotry." The former director also accused Police Scotland of being "an establishment institution which itself is deeply rooted and immersed in Rangers Football Club's history for well over 140 years".
"I firmly believe Police Scotland have their own agenda and are deeply emotionally connected to Rangers Football Club. In my view Police Scotland have a clear conflict of interest."
Ex-Sevco Director Imran Ahmed (2015)

GiveItToTheShooters

The resident hun chirping up projecting to Celtic fans about fan behaviour. The irony.

From the Bunker

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Premiership

My favourite bit is on the right -

Current champions   Rangers (1st title)[note 1]
                                       (2020–21)

It's been there since the weekend!  ;D

Franko

Quote from: ned on March 10, 2021, 10:14:15 PM
Original debate started around some posters feeling the need to congratulate Rangers. Other posters pointed out why they won't congratulate them. Their fans showed in abundance this weekend the reason why most are loathe to countenance it.
They won the league by a margin and could have celebrated accordingly. However, the fans and team/club decided to break covid restriction regulations and to cause destruction and despair in Glasgow especially.
All the false equivalence thrown about does not detract from the sheer loathsome nature of their celebrations. Only one set of fans did that.
And only one set of fans and one club elicited the quotes below.

This has to be said about Rangers, as a Scottish Football club they are a permanent embarrassment and an occasional disgrace. This country would be a better place if Rangers did not exist." Ian Archer (Scottish journalist, 1970s)

"The incessant bigoted chanting by Rangers fans at Hampden was shocking. Unarguably the most socially-backward fans in British football. The really damaging thing for RFC is, it's not the mythical 'small minority'. There appear to be 1000s upon 1000s singing these songs."
Graham Spiers (Journalist and Rangers fan) on his Twitter feed commenting on their league cup final appearance (March 2011)

I'd just come from Italy and France which are catholic countries,very warm and friendly,and here I was in Glasgow with some of my team-mates [i.e. fellow Rangers players] hating catholics. I just couldn't understand it and frankly found it ridiculous."
Ray Wilkins on an ESPN documentary said about Rangers (June 2007)

Walter Smith, a two-time former manager of the club, once said to me: "There is a Protestant superiority syndrome around this club . . . you can feel it."
Graham Spiers quoting Walter Smith (taken from his book on Paul Le Guen's time at Rangers, 2007)

"I was reluctant to entertain exposing my family to the risk of a recurrence of the bigotry that I had encountered in my playing days... Cathy's religion [she was Catholic] would probably have been enough in itself to convince me that returning to Rangers was not a good idea."
Alex Ferguson (ex-Rangers player) on why he turned down advances to take over Rangers managers role

"The principal muck-spreader was Willie Allison, the bigoted public relations officer, who clearly felt that anybody married to a Catholic was not a fit and proper person to play for Rangers. Allison was a religious bigot of the deepest dye. I had a thoroughly Protestant upbringing but, of course, Cathy is Catholic and so were my mother's family."
Alex Ferguson (ex-Rangers player) on Rangers

To the Rangers fans: "Stay and vomit in your own home, urinate in the corner of your own sitting room, fight with your own neighbours Celtic (who deserve a medal for putting up with you) and foul the streets of Glasgow. Don't come back to Barcelona, you're an embarrassment. And while we're at it, don't play in the Champions League. You're not up to scratch, either on a sporting or human level.
There are noisy supports who, even though they drink large quantities of beer, make friends. Not you lot, because you turn everywhere you go into dumps. You are undesirables."
El Mundo Deportivo Newspaper on Rangers after the Rangers game v Barcelona in the Nou Camp (Nov 07)

The people in that CCTV footage acted like a pack of wolves. Whatever happened earlier there was no excuse for this level of violence. "
Assistant Chief Constable Justine Curran, the match commander during Rangers' shame in the UEFA Cup Final "Battle of Piccadilly" in Manchester

"The SPL needs Rangers. Few SPL chairmen came out in support of Rangers and that took me by surprise. We used to make a joke at Ibrox: 'We are Rangers, super Rangers, no-one likes us, we don't care . . .' But I hadn't quite appreciated, prior to this, the degree to which people didn't like Rangers, right across the board."
"I don't know the exact answer to that. I have said, and I will say again, that maybe I bear a part of the responsibility for it. In the great days at Rangers we did lord it a bit, there's no doubt about that. "Looking back on it now, I think that was wrong. Someone once said, 'never kick a man when you're on the way up, because you might meet him when you're on the way down.' I think that has been a classic case with Rangers."
Donald Findlay (ex-Rangers board member)

What the rest of the world will never understand unless they experience it first hand is that Rangers Football Club is a religion, in itself, built on centuries of religious bigotry." The former director also accused Police Scotland of being "an establishment institution which itself is deeply rooted and immersed in Rangers Football Club's history for well over 140 years".
"I firmly believe Police Scotland have their own agenda and are deeply emotionally connected to Rangers Football Club. In my view Police Scotland have a clear conflict of interest."
Ex-Sevco Director Imran Ahmed (2015)

Christ.

That's quite a list.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 10, 2021, 10:51:12 PM
The resident hun chirping up projecting to Celtic fans about fan behaviour. The irony.

Awful post.

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on March 10, 2021, 10:57:10 PM

Awful post.
Explain.
I think you'll find those on the blue side of the glasgow divide have been called that (if that's what you're getting at) on several occasions in this thread with no snowflake chirping up about that

bennydorano

Michaelg is a very reasonable poster, I'm pretty sure he's not even a Rangers fan, i think he's been baited a bit by the tone the thread has taken. I accept how some people view Celtic, I fundamentally disagree and there is clear blue water between the clubs imo. It's a bit like the 'IRA at play' shite that Unionism has long pedalled about the GAA, it's gotten into the Unionist psyche and nothing will shift it.

michaelg

And no irony, given the discussion, in your use of the word hun?

general_lee

I resent the term "hun" for Rangers fans. I don't think it has the same connotations in Glasgow as it does here.

JimStynes

trailer

From the Bunker

6th sam

Quote from: bennydorano on March 10, 2021, 11:30:32 PM
Michaelg is a very reasonable poster, I'm pretty sure he's not even a Rangers fan, i think he's been baited a bit by the tone the thread has taken. I accept how some people view Celtic, I fundamentally disagree and there is clear blue water between the clubs imo. It's a bit like the 'IRA at play' shite that Unionism has long pedalled about the GAA, it's gotten into the Unionist psyche and nothing will shift it.
Agree re the above on michaelg being a reasonable poster, albeit usually holding opposite views from me. Interesting re the apparent origins of the word "hun" and that Ofcom do not class it as offensive. However since it's usually intended as a term of derision and insult , it's unacceptable. Michaelg is articulate in presenting a unionist viewpoint, but doesn't deserve to be insulted .

Main Street

Quote from: bennydorano on March 10, 2021, 11:30:32 PM
Micheal knows skiddly doo about Celtic fc other than what segments he selects from wherever, which support his obvious political prejudices. For some bizarre reason he keeps coming back to this thread year after year to present the same self righteous  lines.  There's no learning, no  exchange, just the  self righteous preaching  tone delivered on a loop, perhaps that's rated reasonable by some, ::) 
I'd call it the equivalent of lurking and a quick flash.