62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

tonto1888

Quote from: dublin7 on February 08, 2021, 06:31:23 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 06:14:32 PM
So not a lot. That's all you had to say

You asked, I answered. If you can give can give me a reasonable explanation as to why the club is Irish and not Scottish please do

People class then as Irish because of their history. Founded by an Irish priest to provide for the poor Irish of Glasgow. Lots of Irishmen involved in their foundation and what have you. There has always been a big Irish connection. Personally I don't really think Celtic are an Irish club more a club in Scotland woth Irish roots and connections.  It thats a brief overview of why people class them as Irish

bennydorano

I can remember a night in Armagh in the 90s when Matt McGlone was over visiting (flogging his book - still have it) and Geordie Carson, god rest him, a hardcore Celtic supporter was arguing the bit out with Matt that Celtic were an Irish club located in Scotland! I would have thought he would have heard that nonsense regularly enough but he looked totally bemused!

Main Street

Any idiot could do a bit of research and find out about the history and ethos of Celtic fc and and the direct connection to the history of emigration to Glasgow and Scotland from the 1850's onward, how that connection endured obstacles and is as strong today as it was in the foundation days.but apparently not  jackeen7

dublin7

Quote from: Main Street on February 08, 2021, 07:54:30 PM
Any idiot could do a bit of research and find out about the history and ethos of Celtic fc and and the direct connection to the history of emigration to Glasgow and Scotland from the 1850's onward, how that connection endured obstacles and is as strong today as it was in the foundation days.but apparently not  jackeen7

Indeed. Imagine believing a club formed and based in Scotland was Scottish. Shame on me and my ignorance. I never claimed Celtic didn't have Irish links but to claim them as an Irish club is reaching. It's a good marketing strategy though for the club.

Hibernian were also formed by Irish men and have the shamrock on their badge, but they don't seem to push the Irish angle as much.

Angelo

Quote from: dublin7 on February 08, 2021, 08:28:06 PM

Indeed. Imagine believing a club formed and based in Scotland was Scottish. Shame on me and my ignorance. I never claimed Celtic didn't have Irish links but to claim them as an Irish club is reaching. It's a good marketing strategy though for the club.

Hibernian were also formed by Irish men and have the shamrock on their badge, but they don't seem to push the Irish angle as much.

We do not expect an Anglophile like you to get it. Jog on.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tonto1888

Marketing strategy. Aye. That's all it is. Ejit. I will give you one thing though. You have United me and Angelo. So well done on that one.

dublin7

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 08, 2021, 09:45:02 PM

Marketing strategy. Aye. That's all it is. Ejit. I will give you one thing though. You have United me and Angelo. So well done on that one.

Celtic push the Irish links as it's a guaranteed money spinner.
Why wouldn't they? They'd be stupid not to.

I'm regularly in Edinburgh for work and rugby and Hibs don't go for the Irish club thing at all.

JimStynes

Celtic are a Scottish team with a massive Irish connection. Is that not widely accepted? Do people from here actually think it's an Irish club even though they are literally based in Scotland and play soccer in the Scottish league? I don't agree with the marketing statement, but what has dublin7 said that is wrong?

Then there are the obvious sectarian reasons for fans supporting Celtic and Rangers over here.

red hander

What do you think the club's name means?

dublin7

Quote from: red hander on February 08, 2021, 11:21:21 PM

Hibs were founded by Irish people, but Hibs fans don't look at the Irish connection the same way Celtic fans seem to over here. It's all about Edinburgh and sunshine on Leith for them. They don't go down the Irish songs road at all like you'd hear at Celtic

screenexile

Quote from: dublin7 on February 08, 2021, 11:30:48 PM
Quote from: red hander on February 08, 2021, 11:21:21 PM

Hibs were founded by Irish people, but Hibs fans don't look at the Irish connection the same way Celtic fans seem to over here. It's all about Edinburgh and sunshine on Leith for them. They don't go down the Irish songs road at all like you'd hear at Celtic

You mean Hibs aren't as successful so didn't get the benefit of the bandwagon??

tonto1888

Applesisapples

Quote from: michaelg on February 08, 2021, 01:57:26 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 01:05:28 PM
Quote from: michaelg on February 08, 2021, 12:49:08 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:17:43 PM
Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 12:15:10 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:02:15 PM
Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 11:58:14 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 11:47:21 AM
Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 11:26:28 AM
Celtic don't need this Donegal fella as DoF they have one here that will sort them out very quickly.

Deluded springs to mind if you think those players are worth that. Clubs don't pay that for players from the SPL, too much of a risk and in current climate as well, money not been spent.

And even the dog on the street knows that clubs have to operate in a wage structure. You pay one man £65k a week and you'll have a queue of agents down the hall looking for new contracts and any new signings looking these levels.

By all means, put contracts on table, negotiate and get them adding years to protect value but you can't risk the club on back of potential CL earnings.

I'd have no doubts that Desmond has sounded out new managers but is struggling to get the right man, interest not there at top end to manage a SPL team for 4 old firm games a year.

If they won't they pay then they shouldn't go.

They have no problem paying £40m for players from the English Championship so they should not have any problems paying that for players with European football pedigree.

You once again let your bias for beloved English Premier League cloud your judgement.

Sorry wee Man, you're all over the place, could you rewrite the first line in English, thanks.

You're triggered by criticism of your beloved EPL which you claim not to have an interest in.

You seem to have a bizarre obsession with Celtic.

Have you struggled to even figure what you tried to say yourself? Don't worry about it, reading and writing can be a challenge for some, chin up.

You don't seem to have anything to offer only inane posts when your obsession is outlined. Anglophiles like yourself have deep conflictions. So unless you have anything worthwhile to contribute that will be all.
From the man who obsesses over a British club.

Celtic are an Irish club.

You seem to have been been triggered by the anglophile comment. Is it Liverpool or Man Utd?
They may have Irish links but they are not an Irish club.  How can they be if they are based in Scotland?  As for your question, unlike you, I support a team in the country where i live!
Not often I agree with Michaelg, but you are right Celtic are a Scottish/British Club with Irish connections and a fan base that hails from the Irish diaspora and Ireland. There is nothing wrong in supporting them as a lot of us do but they are no more Irish than Man U or Liverpool.

ned

Quote from: Applesisapples on February 09, 2021, 12:28:10 PM
Quote from: michaelg on February 08, 2021, 01:57:26 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 01:05:28 PM
Quote from: michaelg on February 08, 2021, 12:49:08 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:17:43 PM
Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 12:15:10 PM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 12:02:15 PM
Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 11:58:14 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 08, 2021, 11:47:21 AM
Quote from: Louther on February 08, 2021, 11:26:28 AM
Celtic don't need this Donegal fella as DoF they have one here that will sort them out very quickly.

Deluded springs to mind if you think those players are worth that. Clubs don't pay that for players from the SPL, too much of a risk and in current climate as well, money not been spent.

And even the dog on the street knows that clubs have to operate in a wage structure. You pay one man £65k a week and you'll have a queue of agents down the hall looking for new contracts and any new signings looking these levels.

By all means, put contracts on table, negotiate and get them adding years to protect value but you can't risk the club on back of potential CL earnings.

I'd have no doubts that Desmond has sounded out new managers but is struggling to get the right man, interest not there at top end to manage a SPL team for 4 old firm games a year.

If they won't they pay then they shouldn't go.

They have no problem paying £40m for players from the English Championship so they should not have any problems paying that for players with European football pedigree.

You once again let your bias for beloved English Premier League cloud your judgement.

Sorry wee Man, you're all over the place, could you rewrite the first line in English, thanks.

You're triggered by criticism of your beloved EPL which you claim not to have an interest in.

You seem to have a bizarre obsession with Celtic.

Have you struggled to even figure what you tried to say yourself? Don't worry about it, reading and writing can be a challenge for some, chin up.

You don't seem to have anything to offer only inane posts when your obsession is outlined. Anglophiles like yourself have deep conflictions. So unless you have anything worthwhile to contribute that will be all.
From the man who obsesses over a British club.

Celtic are an Irish club.

You seem to have been been triggered by the anglophile comment. Is it Liverpool or Man Utd?
They may have Irish links but they are not an Irish club.  How can they be if they are based in Scotland?  As for your question, unlike you, I support a team in the country where i live!
Not often I agree with Michaelg, but you are right Celtic are a Scottish/British Club with Irish connections and a fan base that hails from the Irish diaspora and Ireland. There is nothing wrong in supporting them as a lot of us do but they are no more Irish than Man U or Liverpool.

Celtic are definitely more Irish than any other club outside Ireland.