Paris....advice

Started by The Gs Man, January 18, 2010, 09:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Hullo.  Heading to gay Paris next week.

Anyone know the best way (cheapest) to get from the airport (Charles De Gaulle) into the city centre?

Thinking of getting the shuttle bus through Easyjet but it seems to get mixed reviews on tripadvisor.  A Taxi works out about 60 or 70 Euros which is a feckin rip-off.

Cheers in advance! :)
Keep 'er lit

mc_grens

If I remember, the taxi was more like €45, and is kinda worth it when you remember that you'll at least be droppped at your hotel door and will have no trekking round with luggage.

Shortso79

get the metro  train - great job - cheap as chips

go to disneyland - its lethal

Paul Mc Graths Da

Stay away from Disneyland - it's beyond shite (unless you're a bit special)
Always use the metro
For eating and drinking it pays to stay just off the beaten track (montmartre has some lovely wee bars and restaurants in amongst the windy streets)

Gaffer

Centre of Paris is not a place if you are a tightarse. 2 drinks cost moi 16 euros last year. Fcukin killed me to pay it. >:( >:( >:(
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

JimStynes

Quote from: Gaffer on January 18, 2010, 10:21:09 PM
Centre of Paris is not a place if you are a tightarse. 2 drinks cost moi 16 euros last year. Fcukin killed me to pay it. >:( >:( >:(

G's man wont be hanging around the centre of paris then  ;D

armaghniac

It all depends on where you are going. But I'd take the train and perhaps then a taxi if needs be. If you are going hand luggage only, you can easily go on the metro and there are a metro stations everyone in central Paris so it is generally only a short walk to the hotel.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

under the bar

You can purchase a 'Carnet' for the trains which is a little book of 10 tickets and you can travel as far as you like with them.   A good cheap simple system which london transport could take example from 

Norf Tyrone

I can never remember the details like prices and things when I come back from holidays.... but the Eiffel Tower is superb.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

ross4life

to be fair to the lad i don't think he mention Disneyland? but going their all depends if you like theme parks or not, & even then the children will still want to go anyways ::)

anyways the metro is the way to go (just check your hotel for the nearset metro stop)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

takeyourownpath

the bus men and taxi drivers are all in cahoots! told us we'd missed the last bus to the airport and we'd have to get a taxi at 70euro! lucky a nice couple informed us there was another bus in 20mins!
wouldn't suggest the metro if you've got cases/younsters with you, nightmare them stairs!

mannix

taxis are crazy but necessary if you have bags with no wheels or kids with you. there are sandwich shops called la croisanterie and a great selection of restaurants in the louvre museum that are not expensive and have a wide selection of foods, sidewalk places are ripoff expensive and generally will leave you hungry even if you pay a lot.  ALWAYS LOOK AT THE PRICES AND BE CAREFUL OF THE SEATS ON THE SIDEWALK, MORE EXPENSIVE FOR FOOD, EXPECT TO PAY 8 OR 9 EURO A PINT FOR ANY BEER.

gallsman

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 18, 2010, 09:45:23 PM
Hullo.  Heading to gay Paris next week.

Anyone know the best way (cheapest) to get from the airport (Charles De Gaulle) into the city centre?

Thinking of getting the shuttle bus through Easyjet but it seems to get mixed reviews on tripadvisor.  A Taxi works out about 60 or 70 Euros which is a feckin rip-off.

Cheers in advance! :)

I used the metro. A line change or two as far as I can recall, but that's only to be expected in a city the size of Paris. I was coming from Terminal 3.

dublinfella

RER train from CDG straight into the centre and leaves you on the Metro. Couple of euro, 20 mins.

Also loads of touristy places round the Latin Quarer do set menus for good value, worth checking out.

Rue Lappe for nightlife, near the Bastille.

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: dublinfella on January 19, 2010, 10:13:44 AM
RER train from CDG straight into the centre and leaves you on the Metro. Couple of euro, 20 mins.

Also loads of touristy places round the Latin Quarer do set menus for good value, worth checking out.

Rue Lappe for nightlife, near the Bastille.
Would agree  with everything you say , have been to Paris a couple of times and have found good value restaurants in and around the Latin Quarter