hurler of the year so far anyone?

Started by shyted, July 24, 2018, 11:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Agree with this. One of the features of Galway's emergence is the size and physicality of them. Galway always had hurlers, but the likes of Broderick, Hayes, Kerins etc could all be horsed out of it. McInerney, the Burkes, Glynn, Flynn and the rest have really changed that perception of Galway, and the fact that they can all hurl as well is a potent mix. McInerney sort of epitomises that for me. Mannion is another great hurler, and really has come into himself, but different strokes for different folks.

Interesting that Clare are the team that seem to have stumbled (intentionally I'm sure) on a formula to unsettle them though. The legs in the Clare team are serious, and if Galway can't match that, their size may not be the advantage it is against less mobile teams. I'm not saying Galway are slow or anything, but Clare are a different type of team. Styles make fights as they say, and this clash of styles is great.

If Limerick end up playing Galway, I think it will be more of an arm wrestle.

johnnycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 02, 2018, 10:59:54 AM
Agree with this. One of the features of Galway's emergence is the size and physicality of them. Galway always had hurlers, but the likes of Broderick, Hayes, Kerins etc could all be horsed out of it. McInerney, the Burkes, Glynn, Flynn and the rest have really changed that perception of Galway, and the fact that they can all hurl as well is a potent mix. McInerney sort of epitomises that for me. Mannion is another great hurler, and really has come into himself, but different strokes for different folks.

Interesting that Clare are the team that seem to have stumbled (intentionally I'm sure) on a formula to unsettle them though. The legs in the Clare team are serious, and if Galway can't match that, their size may not be the advantage it is against less mobile teams. I'm not saying Galway are slow or anything, but Clare are a different type of team. Styles make fights as they say, and this clash of styles is great.

If Limerick end up playing Galway, I think it will be more of an arm wrestle.

It's a bit like the Clare lads on proboards giving out about the poor hurling from Cathal Malone and to a lesser extent Conor Cleary.
When they'd a midfield of Kelly and McGrath and David McInerney at 6 in a few league games every team ran through them like a dose of scar.
With Malone in there and Cleary in at 6 in particular, he's not spectacular but meets the physical challenge head on.

Judes hurling sevens

I'm judging on hurling alone....

Mcinerney fills a key role but to my eyes hasn't been properly tested by opposition. Physically string  under dropping ball but give him a run around and see what he's up to

johnnycool

Quote from: Judes hurling sevens on August 02, 2018, 01:36:44 PM
I'm judging on hurling alone....

Mcinerney fills a key role but to my eyes hasn't been properly tested by opposition. Physically string  under dropping ball but give him a run around and see what he's up to

He sits in the pocket protected by his midfielders so it's very rarely you see an opponent attack him at pace with a bit of space to work in.
I'd say whilst he's no sprinter, he's not slow either.

Orchard park

Whether it was post injury but Mcinerney was cleaned today

Capt Pat

Mannion the half back from Galway was the unanimous choice from the experts on the sunday game.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 20, 2018, 12:23:39 AM
Mannion the half back from Galway was the unanimous choice from the experts on the sunday game.

Was scripted as Des let the Cat out of the bag.

johnnycool

Quote from: Orchard park on August 19, 2018, 07:08:53 PM

He did well when in the vicinity of the ball, but Limerick had a smart enough gameplan to avoid him with Hayes drifting out in and around the midfield area.

Joe on the other hand did very little other than dead balls. Wasn't fit IMO.

Zooming around

Quote from: johnnycool on August 20, 2018, 10:06:44 AM

He did well when in the vicinity of the ball, but Limerick had a smart enough gameplan to avoid him with Hayes drifting out in and around the midfield area.

In my opinion Galway made  a cardinal error by stating an all ireland with an unfit centre back and centre forward. Witness the havoc caused by Hannon in the first half and Hayes in the second allied of course to the diminished performance of both McInerney and Canning. A double double belt to Galway if you like.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Zooming around on September 06, 2018, 04:44:43 PM

In my opinion Galway made  a cardinal error by stating an all ireland with an unfit centre back and centre forward. Witness the havoc caused by Hannon in the first half and Hayes in the second allied of course to the diminished performance of both McInerney and Canning. A double double belt to Galway if you like.

Said this after the reply semi final and was told by the experts on here that 2 weeks would be plenty time to heal the walking injured!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

I get your point and maybe like Cody starting Shefflin when it was obvious the leg was hanging off him O'Donoghue succumbed to internal pressures to start the big names as he'd no confidence in his bench which I've already said before.
Some of those U21's need game time in March.

seafoid

Quote from: johnnycool on September 07, 2018, 08:40:17 AM

I get your point and maybe like Cody starting Shefflin when it was obvious the leg was hanging off him O'Donoghue succumbed to internal pressures to start the big names as he'd no confidence in his bench which I've already said before.
Injuries have always been a feature of the game but the round robin approach makes them
more likely.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

spuds

What are you saying here exactly?
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

johnnycool

Quote from: spuds on September 07, 2018, 02:21:02 PM

I'm saying that he probably knew they both weren't fully fit (as with Daithi Burke in the semifinal) but felt the need to play them and hope for the best.

It didn't work for him but Galway weren't a million miles away.

spuds

Quote from: johnnycool on September 07, 2018, 02:36:40 PM
Quote from: spuds on September 07, 2018, 02:21:02 PM

I'm saying that he probably knew they both weren't fully fit (as with Daithi Burke in the semifinal) but felt the need to play them and hope for the best.

It didn't work for him but Galway weren't a million miles away.
The succumbing to internal pressure part is what I was asking. Think O'Donoghue is his own man.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard