Ulster Colleges

Started by Line Ball, October 13, 2012, 06:59:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

Tomás O'Se tweeted recently saying he didn't admire Fermanagh 's style of play but you have to admire them for getting the results they get.  I hate that attitude, couldn't agree with it at all - Rory Gallagher, and Jim McGuinness before him, and others, have shown coaches a template, and it's so sad to see it creeping into colleges football.  My god, I'm sure plenty of you remember the MacRory Final in 89.  How did we get to this. 

mrdeeds

Quote from: Sportacus on March 02, 2019, 08:58:18 PM
Tomás O'Se tweeted recently saying he didn't admire Fermanagh 's style of play but you have to admire them for getting the results they get.  I hate that attitude, couldn't agree with it at all - Rory Gallagher, and Jim McGuinness before him, and others, have shown coaches a template, and it's so sad to see it creeping into colleges football.  My god, I'm sure plenty of you remember the MacRory Final in 89.  How did we get to this.

Fermanagh scored 8 points from play last week in 2nd half. Very defensive alright.

Sportacus

Ah right, football's in great shape then.  Lowest scoring team in Division 2, there's a surprise.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Sportacus on March 02, 2019, 09:16:38 PM
Ah right, football's in great shape then.  Lowest scoring team in Division 2, there's a surprise.

Smallest pick in Ireland and going well in 2nd tier. Seems in good shape to me.

Wildweasel74

Has Carlow and Leitrim not smaller picks

mrdeeds

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 02, 2019, 09:46:27 PM

Smaller populations but more playing.

FermGael

Quote from: Sportacus on March 02, 2019, 09:16:38 PM

And St Michaels in the McRory cup final as well and for the first time we have a first 15 of Fermanagh men .
Usually a few Trillick men in the team but they seem to have gone to Omagh CBS.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

armaghniac

Quote from: mrdeeds on March 02, 2019, 09:49:33 PM

feck all DUP in Carlow and very few in Leitrim.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Godsown

Quote from: armaghniac on March 02, 2019, 11:09:25 PM

Carlow may have a smaller pick but they do have the biggest p***k

Seany

Pardon my possible ignorance on this, but is there not a SIgerson-like cynicism beginning to creep into schools football?  A few of the Armagh lads were originally at the Academy, but 'left after GCSE' to go to St. Pat's.  This seems to be a well worn path for good players who suddenly want to pursue a post 16 pathway that only the Armagh school can provide.  ALso - St. Michael's - do they not just Hoover up all the decent players form all the Fermanagh schools around it who don't offer A Level?  Don't think the Newry schools do it, hence their lack of success in recent years.  But I could be wrong. 

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: armaghniac on March 02, 2019, 11:09:25 PM

Leitrim as a county is split in two
its the only county that you have to leave to get into the other half

yellowcard

Abbey have a long history of under achieving due to negative coaching, McGuckin and Morgan used to laugh at them running up a mountain for 2 months solid without the sight of a ball. They had some seriously good teams but it was always about physical fitness and not skills development with them.

FermGael

Quote from: Seany on March 03, 2019, 09:38:37 AM
Pardon my possible ignorance on this, but is there not a SIgerson-like cynicism beginning to creep into schools football?  A few of the Armagh lads were originally at the Academy, but 'left after GCSE' to go to St. Pat's.  This seems to be a well worn path for good players who suddenly want to pursue a post 16 pathway that only the Armagh school can provide.  ALso - St. Michael's - do they not just Hoover up all the decent players form all the Fermanagh schools around it who don't offer A Level?  Don't think the Newry schools do it, hence their lack of success in recent years.  But I could be wrong.

Every school in the McRory competition is doing that.
Due to their sizes they can offer more subject choice at A level.
Some of the smaller secondary schools can't offer A levels or the A levels the pupils want due to their small staff size.
Has been happening for years
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

thewobbler

It's always been that way. Maghera has always carried a reputation of being half tech, half grammar school.

When you're pondering why the Newry schools aren't as successful, the reality is you're pondering why St Colman's aren't as successful. The Abbey might be pure dung to watch right now, but in truth apart from one abberition in 2006, this decade's MacRory performances and finishes are par for the course

The College are now drawing from a smaller pool. The rise of St Paul's and the Lurgan schools has put a limiter on some of the most productive supply lines. The closure of the boarding school also closed the door on half a dozen plus of "distance players" each year. It's unlikely we will every see continued periods of  success for Violet Hill, unless the school actively adopts a policy of  pursuing talented Abbey-bound 10 years old.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Seany on March 03, 2019, 09:38:37 AM

Wouldnt blame decent Aramgh footballer for leaving the Academy. I know one fella who was an Armagh minor but sat on the bench for the Academy MacRory team, also think it was the same story with Brendan Donaghy but could stand corrected