Arlene's bigotry shines through

Started by StGallsGAA, February 14, 2018, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on June 25, 2018, 12:34:10 PM
Quote from: Orior on June 25, 2018, 12:13:51 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on June 25, 2018, 11:23:51 AM
So Arlene has made a giant gesture.  Is there a similar gessture that Sinn Féin could make?

In all her talk, Arlene came across as very begrudging. In other words, "I don't really want to be here, and shouldn't really be here, but I'm doing it solely for political purposes"

This doesn't sound very begrudging

Let me translate for you,
Mayoforsam

"I do realise there might be some people who may be uncomfortable with me being here today on Sunday. (Clearly targeted at her own, supporters, particularly the Sunday observers)
But let me say this – I am a leader of a political party that wants to have a shared society in Northern Ireland ( she wants a society in Northern Ireland , full stop, she and her ilk had ample opportunity for 100 years to make it a shared society and failed miserably. She's now being dragged kicking and screaming into the shared concept as she now knows that with the unionist majority and veto gone, the only way of having any Northern Ireland society is that it must be a shared society!) and to do that you have to , (NB "have to" , as opposed to "want to",) , take steps forward and to do that we have to , (again), build a respect and tolerance and that's what I want to do."
(Eventually )

"I hope others take the chance to step forward as well and to understand and appreciate and tolerate another culture perhaps that isn't theirs." (Ie i've Made the effort with the Gaa , (a community organisation that wants to attract Protestants) , now it's time for you to accept orangeism, (which by rule excludes catholics , and celebrates bating the fenians 300 years ago, on a weekly basis all over NI)

There was a clear democractic majority in her "wee country " against brexit, yet she is a standard bearer for brexit. She can hardly conceal her glee that it puts a more successful ROI under pressure. She was a disaster as a First minister, and is unique in that she couldn't even work with Martin McGuinness an internationally respected statesman , who showed genuine empathy and respect for her community. Make no mistake, Sundays appearance was reluctant and begrudging , no doubt an attempt to ingratiate a few conservative catholics, whilst keeping her own community on board.
The real success of Sunday was the warm and genuine welcome from her hosts and a well disciplined crowd applauding her as opposed to booing her.  She has a democratic mandate and must be respected, particularly given her horrendous personal experiences, but if she wants to be a leader she'd want to embrace the whole community, not just her voters

Rossfan

So there were no Union Jacks burned in Clones, no photos of Unionist leaders burned, no shaven headed tattooed drunks shouting abuse at Arlene etcetera.
Sure Arlene will think we have no kulcher at all at all.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

6th sam

Quote from: Rossfan on June 25, 2018, 06:16:00 PM
So there were no Union Jacks burned in Clones, no photos of Unionist leaders burned, no shaven headed tattooed drunks shouting abuse at Arlene etcetera.
Sure Arlene will think we have no kulcher at all at all.

That's what annoys Many reasonable unionists, they want their Britishness and British culture retained ( which is an understandable aspiration) but they can't abide the fact that orangeism is painted as their "culture " , they are genuinely embarrassed about it and resent it.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

michaelg

Quote from: 6th sam on June 25, 2018, 05:17:41 PM
So Arlene has made a giant gesture.  Is there a similar gessture that Sinn Féin could make?

In all her talk, Arlene came across as very begrudging. In other words, "I don't really want to be here, and shouldn't really be here, but I'm doing it solely for political purposes"

Mayoforsam

"I do realise there might be some people who may be uncomfortable with me being here today on Sunday. (Clearly targeted at her own, supporters, particularly the Sunday observers)
But let me say this – I am a leader of a political party that wants to have a shared society in Northern Ireland ( she wants a society in Northern Ireland , full stop, she and her ilk had ample opportunity for 100 years to make it a shared society and failed miserably. She's now being dragged kicking and screaming into the shared concept as she now knows that with the unionist majority and veto gone, the only way of having any Northern Ireland society is that it must be a shared society!) and to do that you have to , (NB "have to" , as opposed to "want to",) , take steps forward and to do that we have to , (again), build a respect and tolerance and that's what I want to do."
(Eventually )

"I hope others take the chance to step forward as well and to understand and appreciate and tolerate another culture perhaps that isn't theirs." (Ie i've Made the effort with the Gaa , (a community organisation that wants to attract Protestants) , now it's time for you to accept orangeism, (which by rule excludes catholics , and celebrates bating the fenians 300 years ago, on a weekly basis all over NI)

There was a clear democractic majority in her "wee country " against brexit, yet she is a standard bearer for brexit. She can hardly conceal her glee that it puts a more successful ROI under pressure. She was a disaster as a First minister, and is unique in that she couldn't even work with Martin McGuinness an internationally respected statesman , who showed genuine empathy and respect for her community. Make no mistake, Sundays appearance was reluctant and begrudging , no doubt an attempt to ingratiate a few conservative catholics, whilst keeping her own community on board.
The real success of Sunday was the warm and genuine welcome from her hosts and a well disciplined crowd applauding her as opposed to booing her.  She has a democratic mandate and must be respected, particularly given her horrendous personal experiences, but if she wants to be a leader she'd want to embrace the whole community, not just her voters
Haven't read such a "one-sided" post on here in a long time.  Not everyone from the Unionist community would agree with you that MMcG was a "respected statesman, who showed genuine empathy and respect for her community" - Kind of glosses over what went before.  Whilst he did undoubtedly soften in his latter years, and his actions were rightly lauded, there was also clearly an element of being seen to play the PR game too, something which Foster has finally realised is a better tack to take.

6th sam

Quote from: michaelg on June 25, 2018, 10:13:40 PM
Quote from: 6th sam on June 25, 2018, 05:17:41 PM

Mayoforsam

(Eventually )

Haven't read such a "one-sided" post on here in a long time.  Not everyone from the Unionist community would agree with you that MMcG was a "respected statesman, who showed genuine empathy and respect for her community" - Kind of glosses over what went before.  Whilst he did undoubtedly soften in his latter years, and his actions were rightly lauded, there was also clearly an element of being seen to play the PR game too, something which Foster has finally realised is a better tack to take.

Fair point Michaelg, it is "one-sided",  and that "side" is the one of equality and respect !

screenexile

No talk of the bridge Arlene's looking to build between the North and Scotland so that that the brits can't cast them off as will likely be the case??!!

It's f**king ridiculous . . . there isn't a motorway or a train that goes west of the Lough and she's looking to build a bridge that we don't need??!!

Orior

Quote from: screenexile on July 02, 2018, 12:29:43 PM
No talk of the bridge Arlene's looking to build between the North and Scotland so that that the brits can't cast them off as will likely be the case??!!

It's f**king ridiculous . . . there isn't a motorway or a train that goes west of the Lough and she's looking to build a bridge that we don't need??!!

Diversion tactic?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

lenny

Totally agree, the bridge would be great but let's build a motorway between Belfast and Derry first. Ridiculous that you have motorway all the way from belfast to ballymena and then dual carriageway onto Coleraine but still to get to Derry you have to get stuck in traffic going through Dungiven and Drumahoe. Scandalous sectarian policy decisions taken years ago.

GJL

Quote from: lenny on July 02, 2018, 02:04:58 PM

Totally agree, the bridge would be great but let's build a motorway between Belfast and Derry first. Ridiculous that you have motorway all the way from belfast to ballymena and then dual carriageway onto Coleraine but still to get to Derry you have to get stuck in traffic going through Dungiven and Drumahoe. Scandalous sectarian policy decisions taken years ago.

A5 From Aughnacloy to Derry would need started as well before any bridge.

BennyHarp

Is she planning to spend all the money she got for propping up Theresa May's government on this bridge then?
That was never a square ball!!

HiMucker

Aye and not to mention the amount of crying it causes from you boys having to go to Celtic park.  Motorway all the way and youd be there in no time, and should stop any whinging ;)

screenexile

Quote from: HiMucker on July 02, 2018, 03:35:22 PM

Aye and not to mention the amount of crying it causes from you boys having to go to Celtic park.  Motorway all the way and youd be there in no time, and should stop any whinging ;)

If she sells CP as part of the deal to pay for the bridge I'll be all for it!!

red hander

Absolute moonbeams. They can't afford an Irish Language Act but they can stump up £20bn for a bridge to Scotland? West of the Bann a desert for decent roads or rail links and she's peddling this shite. They really are panicking over the demographics and will suggest anything to maintain their connection to the 'mainland', no matter how desperate, cos they know what's coming down the road, especially when Brexit goes seriously tits up... what a balloon she really is  ::)

armaghniac

Boris Johnston started this bridge thing. Complete fantasy, like his trade deals
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B