The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

The only established world class player Klopp signed was Thiago. For all the rest, they were making their first step up to an elite level club (and in the earlier years, a club climbing back to that level).

But obviously Klopp and his reputation and record were a huge factor for Liverpool that will be hard to replicate at first. Luckily there is a high level squad there now and the opportunity for the next man to get a good head start. Outside of replacing Matip this summer, are there any obvious holes to be filled? The biggest talking points will be the contracts of Salah, Van Dijk and Trent.

Armamike

Quote from: jcpen on April 09, 2024, 04:40:45 PM
Quote from: Armamike on April 09, 2024, 01:40:15 PMWould be delighted to get Amorim.  Very good reports on him.
If I was a Liverpool fan the thing I would be concerned about is will he have the same clout that Klopp had regarding new players coming in, players came to Liverpool not just because it's Liverpool FC but because they wanted to play for Klopp.
You may find now players might be more reluctant, though in fairness Liverpool are in a far better place now than when Klopp first came.

Amorim seems to be among the best available out there at the minute so I'm happy from that point of view. The club can only select from what's available.  Nobody is going to be a like for like replacement for Klopp. 
That's just, like your opinion man.

Aaron Boone

No chance Klopp will stay on?

He will be thinking come September what am I going to do with myself. 

J70

Quote from: Aaron Boone on April 10, 2024, 01:27:50 PMNo chance Klopp will stay on?

He will be thinking come September what am I going to do with myself. 

I'd say he'll be in the Germany job by then.

Probably suit him fine away from the intense pressure of a job like Liverpool. Days off, do a bit of punditry on the side if he wants.

gawa316

Quote from: J70 on April 09, 2024, 11:56:27 PMThe only established world class player Klopp signed was Thiago. For all the rest, they were making their first step up to an elite level club (and in the earlier years, a club climbing back to that level).

But obviously Klopp and his reputation and record were a huge factor for Liverpool that will be hard to replicate at first. Luckily there is a high level squad there now and the opportunity for the next man to get a good head start. Outside of replacing Matip this summer, are there any obvious holes to be filled? The biggest talking points will be the contracts of Salah, Van Dijk and Trent.

Do we need to replace Matip? Quansah (the odd stray pass aside ::) ) has been excellent this season. We have VVD, Konate, Gomez, & Quansah. You bring someone in, you talking about 40 + mil no doubt to take minutes away from Quansah. I think I'd rather promote another youth player to 5th choice.

J70

Quote from: gawa316 on April 10, 2024, 04:27:10 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 09, 2024, 11:56:27 PMThe only established world class player Klopp signed was Thiago. For all the rest, they were making their first step up to an elite level club (and in the earlier years, a club climbing back to that level).

Do we need to replace Matip? Quansah (the odd stray pass aside ::) ) has been excellent this season. We have VVD, Konate, Gomez, & Quansah. You bring someone in, you talking about 40 + mil no doubt to take minutes away from Quansah. I think I'd rather promote another youth player to 5th choice.

Yeah, that's fair on Quansah. Can they rely on Konate though? He misses a lot of games. They're also due a decision, either way, on Sepp van Berg. Is he going to be given a season with the squad to make his mark after all these loans?

I'm assuming Phillips and Williams will be sold.

Armamike

Matip at the end of his contract. Would be highly surprised if he's kept on.  May well need 5 quality centre backs if Amorim comes in and wants to play 3. Would mean then a new centre back being signed.   

Milltown Row2

Is Alonso not on the list of managers keen to take over from Klopp?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mourne Red

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2024, 01:31:22 PMIs Alonso not on the list of managers keen to take over from Klopp?

Already said he's not leaving leverkusen wants to manage them in Champions League

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mourne Red on April 11, 2024, 01:48:31 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 11, 2024, 01:31:22 PMIs Alonso not on the list of managers keen to take over from Klopp?

Already said he's not leaving leverkusen wants to manage them in Champions League

Which is fair enough and smart too, following Klopp straight away would be some act to follow
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Armamike

Don't know if it's an issue of not wanting to follow Klopp. Maybe Alonso is being sincere in wanting to continue his work at Leverkusen. The cynic in me thinks it's more of a case of him bidding his time for the Real Madrid job, where his heart really lies.  Even if he did come to Liverpool, if he was doing a decent job he'd be forever linked to Real, which would be a bloody distraction.

Brendan

This season really falling apart, only a few weeks ago talk of a quadruple to send off Klopp only going to end up with a league cup

From the Bunker

Now we know why Klopp is leaving at the end of the season 😕

Milltown Row2

Mourne Red