The 2008 US Election thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, January 04, 2008, 02:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Obama
McCain

Mentalman

57 states is a verbal slip. Not knowing South Africa is a country, and Africa is a continent, and having to be put right by a journalist seems to suggest a lack of knowledge on behalf of someone who could end up leading the world last remaining super power. However on the other hand perhpas she mixed up Africa with Ireland or something, who's to know? Why would she need to know about Africa, one of the cradles of civilisation, especially if you don't even believe in evolution in the first place.
"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

Hardy

She couldn't come up with the name of one newspaper when asked (well, okay ambushed with the question) "which newspapers inform your world view?". 

(paraphrasing):
- Well, any 'em ... all of 'em .. whatever

"Name one, specifically"
- Well ... ehhh. any of 'em, whatever's to hand ...

But yeah - Obama, former editor of Harvard Law Review is probably just as thick.  ::)

J70

Quote from: Hardy on November 06, 2008, 05:22:07 PM
She couldn't come up with the name of one newspaper when asked (well, okay ambushed with the question) "which newspapers inform your world view?". 

(paraphrasing):
- Well, any 'em ... all of 'em .. whatever

"Name one, specifically"
- Well ... ehhh. any of 'em, whatever's to hand ...

But yeah - Obama, former editor of Harvard Law Review is probably just as thick.  ::)

To be fair to her, I think she saw that question as kind of a "gotcha" question, and was basically trying to avoid the issue. Most newspapers in the US, as anywhere, tend to be split down partisan lines in terms of which are reputable and which aren't. No matter what answer she gave, she was going to get grief for it.

Hardy

That makes sense. I should know better than to accept the spin delivered to me without having seen it myself.

She should have said "National Enquirer", of course, if she really had her finger on the pulse of her constituency.

feetofflames

Chief Wiggum

ziggysego

I know it's 2004, but I thought it might make interesting reading for Tyrones own ;)

Testing Accessibility

AFS

Quote from: ziggysego on November 06, 2008, 07:30:20 PM
I know it's 2004, but I thought it might make interesting reading for Tyrones own ;)

And this time Obama pinched Virginia, Colorado, Iowa, Nevada, Ohio and Florida among others. Meaning that excluding the abberations of Indiana, New Mexico and maybe North Carolina there is an even more obvious pattern.

J70

Quote from: ziggysego on November 06, 2008, 07:30:20 PM

How credible are those figures?

AFS

Not very I'd reckon, but they might not be too far from reality.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

Hardy

Sorry - it should be true. Would be interesting, if anyone has the time and if the data is available to do the real one.

Puckoon

Well I dont give a fiddlers - I just sent it off to all those silly americans I know. I hope none of them have the time or inclination to check out www.ruinagoodyarnwiththetruth@snopes.com

AFS

http://edition.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/county/#val=NYP00p6

Ulster, New York

Obama - 50,300 - 61%

McCain - 31,394 - 38%

100% of precincts reporting

Good to see us nordies did our bit  :P

J70

The highest average IQ in that list (CT) is just about the general average. The Mississippi one would suggest a very large proportion of the population barely able to put one foot in front of another!