HOW WOULD YOU VOTE IN A BORDER POLL?

Started by RedHand88, March 20, 2021, 02:56:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you back unity if a border poll was held tomorrow?

Yes (Northerner)
No (Northerner)
Yes (Southener)
No (Southener)

Evil Genius

Quote from: Rossfan on March 24, 2021, 05:12:37 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 24, 2021, 05:01:09 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 24, 2021, 04:49:33 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 24, 2021, 04:28:52 PM
So according to this poll, a quarter of GAA people in the south would not vote for a united Ireland.

What the heck is going on?

Perhaps some of the quarter could list 5 clear reasons why not.

Maybe even more surprising is the fact that 7 GAA people in the north voted to stay under British rule.

I would honestly love to know the rationale behind this if anyone wants to confess!?
You'd wonder how they can look themselves in the mirror.
EvilG and Michael are probably 2 of them or are they not allowed to vote being.....
Angelo, Armagh18 and Shooters are likely 3 being of the  of the hate "freestaters(sic)" camp.
The other 2 are having the craic.
Nope, not me (though I assume I would be permitted to vote, if I chose)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

sid waddell

Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 24, 2021, 05:00:10 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 24, 2021, 04:52:17 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 24, 2021, 02:19:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 24, 2021, 11:14:49 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 23, 2021, 10:07:17 PM
Quote from: seafoid on March 23, 2021, 01:53:43 PM
The 6 counties are always going to be treated differently because of the polarisation. Currently they are neither fully Irish nor fully British but something in between.
In a United Ireland that would not change.
It will be heartbreaking  for Northern Shinners to live in a country that is not a romantic republic straight out of the Wolfe Tones.
Free stater mindset clear for all to see again. People in the 6 counties are as Irish as you, if not more, as they've had to fight for their identity.
NI is never going to be the same as Mayo because a certain proportion of the peple do not identify as Irish. The best that can be hoped for is some sort of fudge.
If NI were the same as Mayo the armed struggle would have won.
Nonsense, typical free stater partitionist attitude who knows fa about the north.
A certain proportion in the north can identify however they please, that's nothing to do with the Irish in the north. There is plenty in the south that do not identify as Irish.
The north IS the same as Mayo.
The difference is (can't believe I'm having to spell this out) that the south sold the north up the river and the British state establishment in the north had greater power in the "armed struggle".
I'd say you're one of the boys that would vote against a UI.
I don't recognise the formulation that someone who disagrees with your position has to be a know nothing.

Unfortunately I know too much about the North. And I am not a partitionist. It's all Ireland.

https://youtu.be/Jwv2B4W9brk

You cannot fix the Ulster question just because you have a United Ireland. You can't fix it by claiming OWC is British either.
Because the people are both  Irish and British.
NI will always have some Brit influence. It will.always have Rangers fans. The Plantation is forever.
That's obviously not true though.
1. I'm not Irish and British, I'm just Irish.
2. Your attempt to annex the O6 doesn't add up when the Mayo was in its same position, by your logic, it will always have British influence.
You are no different, or your status is no different than us, back then, or now.
He didn't say you're British

GiveItToTheShooters

Quote from: sid waddell on March 24, 2021, 05:32:27 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 24, 2021, 05:00:10 PM
The 6 counties are always going to be treated differently because of the polarisation. Currently they are neither fully Irish nor fully British but something in between.
It will be heartbreaking  for Northern Shinners to live in a country that is not a romantic republic straight out of the Wolfe Tones.
Free stater mindset clear for all to see again. People in the 6 counties are as Irish as you, if not more, as they've had to fight for their identity.
NI is never going to be the same as Mayo because a certain proportion of the peple do not identify as Irish. The best that can be hoped for is some sort of fudge.
Nonsense, typical free stater partitionist attitude who knows fa about the north.
A certain proportion in the north can identify however they please, that's nothing to do with the Irish in the north. There is plenty in the south that do not identify as Irish.
The difference is (can't believe I'm having to spell this out) that the south sold the north up the river and the British state establishment in the north had greater power in the "armed struggle".
I don't recognise the formulation that someone who disagrees with your position has to be a know nothing.

Unfortunately I know too much about the North. And I am not a partitionist. It's all Ireland.

You cannot fix the Ulster question just because you have a United Ireland. You can't fix it by claiming OWC is British either.
NI will always have some Brit influence. It will.always have Rangers fans. The Plantation is forever.
That's obviously not true though.
1. I'm not Irish and British, I'm just Irish.
2. Your attempt to annex the O6 doesn't add up when the Mayo was in its same position, by your logic, it will always have British influence.
You are no different, or your status is no different than us, back then, or now.
He didn't say you're British
Yes he did.

yellowcard

It won't be fixed immediately in the same way that the peace process post GFA was a journey that a generation probably needed to go through. However, it was always a fairly inevitable long term settlement that the 6 counties would be returned to a single island state at some point in the future.

A major issue was that the planted population never attempted to fully integrate themselves into the country to which they were sent. Partition only helped reinforce this even further when they became the sole ruling class after which they became even more insular and defensive in their attempt to reinforce a protestant state for a protestant people.

Demographics will now shortly take over but it will be too simplistic to say that the 6 counties will always be both Irish & British. The identities of its people might be but most people apart from the Unionists themselves will simply recognise it as Ireland.   

In a Unified country they will have to be welcomed and given protections that some nationalists will find uncomfortable but for some of the Unionists this will never be enough. Similar to shortly after when the 26 counties gained their independence, I would expect that some of them may decide to relocate to England or Scotland.     

Angelo

Quote from: trailer on March 24, 2021, 04:11:43 PM
A lot of Northern Republicans do try and go out of their way to prove they are "Ultra Irish"

A handy check list is

Love The Wolfe Tones
Love Celtic / Hate Rangers
Huge SF supporters - see no wrong support - cult like
Hate any Nationalists who don't subscribe to their way of thinking
Want to ram a United Ireland down everyone's throats and have no time for relationship building with others of a different viewpoint

Says the unionist boot licker.  ;D
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

general_lee

A lot of Northern stoops do try and go out of their way to prove they are "Ultra accommodating"

A handy check list is

Love pledging allegiance to the monarchy/taking seats in Westminster
Love wearing poppies / Hate Easter lilies
Love taking titles and sitting in the House of Lords
Love celebrating partition
Huge SDLP supporters - see no wrong support - cult like
Hate any Republicans who don't subscribe to their way of thinking
Want to ram project Northern Ireland down everyone's throats and have no time for relationship building with others of a different viewpoint

michaelg

Quote from: Evil Genius on March 24, 2021, 05:30:18 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 24, 2021, 05:12:37 PM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on March 24, 2021, 05:01:09 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 24, 2021, 04:49:33 PM
So according to this poll, a quarter of GAA people in the south would not vote for a united Ireland.

Maybe even more surprising is the fact that 7 GAA people in the north voted to stay under British rule.

I would honestly love to know the rationale behind this if anyone wants to confess!?
You'd wonder how they can look themselves in the mirror.
EvilG and Michael are probably 2 of them or are they not allowed to vote being.....
Angelo, Armagh18 and Shooters are likely 3 being of the  of the hate "freestaters(sic)" camp.
The other 2 are having the craic.
Nope, not me (though I assume I would be permitted to vote, if I chose)
Nor me!

clonadmad

Give Angelo a chance

Another 6 months and he will have it close to half

Snapchap

So Seafoid reckons the six counties aren't as Irish as the 26 and that we could consider re-partition (cos it worked so well the last time?).

The mind boggles.

RedHand88

17.3% of Dublin is foreign national. Does this make Dublin less Irish?

yellowcard

So none of the 7 northerners who would vote to stay under British rule are prepared to come forward to explain their thinking. I think there was either some dodgy voting going on or maybe they're just too afraid to admit it.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: yellowcard on March 24, 2021, 09:36:28 PM
So none of the 7 northerners who would vote to stay under British rule are prepared to come forward to explain their thinking. I think there was either some dodgy voting going on or maybe they're just too afraid to admit it.

6 of them voted Angelo out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM