GAA books

Started by Jinxy, August 17, 2011, 12:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Unbelievably funny there Tone. Keep er lit.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Syferus

Settling in by the fire with this baby over Christmas:

Hardcover, 200+ pages, beautifully designed, all independently published by Brigids. A classy book by a classy club. Rich (Canny, the author) even interviewed Osin and Gooch about what it means to win the AI, y'know, just to rub it in.

Everyone should chip in so we can get BC1 a copy. Or just one to batter Marty Duffy over the head with.

T Fearon

Can't wait for the sequel....in 2045.

tyroneman

Finished Mugsy's book in a few days. Very easy read and highly entertaining.

Comes across as a very honest and likeable individual.

5 Sams

Quote from: tyroneman on December 27, 2013, 07:07:05 PM
Finished Mugsy's book in a few days. Very easy read and highly entertaining.

Comes across as a very honest and likeable individual.

Sold out in Easons and Waterstones in Newry since before Christmas. Thought it might have been available in Kerry over the holidays but they hadn't even stocked it!!
The Aristocrat Years

Don Corleone

"The Fairytale in New York" by Paul Fitzpatrick (Ballpoint Press) is a tremendous read, not only for Cavan folk, but for Gaels at large. It deals with the maschinations of getting a proposal to Congress (Easter 1947) and the supplications of Canon Hamilton from Clonlara in Clare to drive it on. There's a suspicion of worn-out delegates, mildly pissed, voting Yes, but it all hangs true.

There's great insights, loyalties and the spectre of Hughie O'Reilly (Cavan's trainer) hanging about. Stalwarts like the Gallant John Joe, Tighe, Higgins, Stafford and the Gunner are lauded, yet, the lesser lights, Willie Doonan, Paddy Smith, Peter Donohoe, Colm McDyer,T.P.O'Reilly and the rest get equal measure.

A great read. Two chapters at the end describe the decline. Like all great ballads, there's a sad verse or two.
2013 has given Cavan a great boost. May they rise up again.
Why did you go to the police? Why didn't you come to me first?

bottom brick

Quote from: Don Corleone on January 01, 2014, 02:17:07 AM
"The Fairytale in New York" by Paul Fitzpatrick (Ballpoint Press) is a tremendous read, not only for Cavan folk, but for Gaels at large. It deals with the maschinations of getting a proposal to Congress (Easter 1947) and the supplications of Canon Hamilton from Clonlara in Clare to drive it on. There's a suspicion of worn-out delegates, mildly pissed, voting Yes, but it all hangs true.

There's great insights, loyalties and the spectre of Hughie O'Reilly (Cavan's trainer) hanging about. Stalwarts like the Gallant John Joe, Tighe, Higgins, Stafford and the Gunner are lauded, yet, the lesser lights, Willie Doonan, Paddy Smith, Peter Donohoe, Colm McDyer,T.P.O'Reilly and the rest get equal measure.

A great read. Two chapters at the end describe the decline. Like all great ballads, there's a sad verse or two.
2013 has given Cavan a great boost. May they rise up again.

+1
Its a great book, very well researched.
Shoot for dough, pass for show...

BennyCake

Any books line u for the Christmas market?

east down gael

Tomas o'se's book is a decent read.talks a lot about paidi,the brothers and an gaeltacht.unlike most of these books he doesn't give anything away about his private life or anything controversial to do with inside the Kerry camp.in fact he talks of his dislike of giving away what goes on inside the group,specifically jack o'connors book.
   Good read though,giving a slight insight into what makes Kerry what they are.

5 Sams

I'd say Tomás will sell a few copies...but Rory Kavanagh???
The Aristocrat Years

Syferus

Johnno's is the pick of the lot lads. Mayo, Leitrim, Galway, Nathys, Brigids, Mayo. Beat that for a story.

east down gael

Kavanaghs book is out at the same time as jims.not sure it was done on purpose,but it can't hurt his sales as anyone who reads jims book might pick up Rory's at the same time for the players perspective.

BennyCake

Not sure I'd be in a hurry to read Jim McG's book. He brought success to Donegal, that's to be commended, but for me, his reputation will always be tarnished by his treatment of Kevin Cassidy (and Declan Bogue).

ck

Rory Kavanagh has a book? Really? Wouldn't have thought he had the profile for a book, wouldn't event have been top profile in that Donegal team would he?

ONeill

Quote from: BennyCake on October 30, 2015, 08:24:25 PM
Not sure I'd be in a hurry to read Jim McG's book. He brought success to Donegal, that's to be commended, but for me, his reputation will always be tarnished by his treatment of Kevin Cassidy (and Declan Bogue).

He was a complete bollocks with that.

He never said a word about Bogue when he attended Donegal conferences before or after games up until after the AI final. I get the feeling that a few journalists regret not walking out in support of Bogue but were caught by surprise and confusion at the time.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.