GAA books

Started by Jinxy, August 17, 2011, 12:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bridgegael

"this is our year"  was bit of a poison challice to most involved.  nearly all involved ended up dropped or injured.  good read and interesting to see the level donegal brought it to last year.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: Farneylawd2011 on December 04, 2011, 11:38:50 AM
Finished Joe Kernan book.Very good so it was.

Just finished his book also and enjoyed it, wish he went more into the physical training that went into both club and county teams but overall a good read.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Farneylawd2011

Did Colm o Rourke every write a book ??
And what do you call Spillane second book??

ONeill

Anyone read Ronan McSherry's book - Ronan's Rants? It's a collection of his column work. Not exactly an out-and-out GAA book but does have the backdrop of a GAA fanatic. I didn't have high expectations (we had a bit of a run-in years ago) but found myself pleasantly surprised and it did make me laugh a few times. I hadn't laughed since 1995. I'd be interested in how non-Tyronites/mid-Ulsters think of it or whether it's a local humour. A good read. You can get her on kindle.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Jinxy

Quote from: Farneylawd2011 on January 15, 2012, 06:41:03 PM

Yeah, he wrote it a good while ago.
It's a good read.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

The Moon is Down

Liam Hayes wrote Out of our Skins - updated and re-published last year.

Jinxy

Quote from: 5 Sams on February 05, 2012, 11:18:01 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on February 05, 2012, 10:45:12 PM

Yeah, he wrote it a good while ago.
It's a good read.

One of the best ever GAA autobiogs. Written in the 90s. It's called Out of our Skins. Updated and republished recently.

You're getting your Meath legends mixed up!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

5 Sams

Lookin forward to Liam Hayes book about Heffo. Hearing great noises about it. Think what you want about Hayes as a journalist and his opinions....BUT if its as half as good as his own book it will be very good.
The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

"The Final Whistle"
Hero Books Ltd., Lucan
0 952626 5 5

T Fearon

Shane,I bet every ould boy around the loughshore has downloaded Ronan's Rants onto his kindle at this stage!

PS No need to buy the book,in any format.Just follow Mc Sherry on twitter.He does nothing only rant all the time! ;D

big balla

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Fairytale-New-York-Paul-Fitzpatrick/9780957207264

Great new book by Paul Fitzpatrick of the Anglo Celt about Cavan's victory in The Polo Grounds and how it all came about. Great read for any GAA fan, not just Cavan fans. Obviously a lot of research done and it shows, great read.

take_yer_points

Just in time for Christmas...

nrico2006

Haven't read an autobiography in a few years but really want to get Tysons when it comes out.  Thinking about Lance Armstrongs too.  DJ Carey is in Craigavon this weekend signing copies of his book.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

StephenC

Quote from: nrico2006 on November 13, 2013, 10:54:44 AM
Haven't read an autobiography in a few years but really want to get Tysons when it comes out.  Thinking about Lance Armstrongs too.  DJ Carey is in Craigavon this weekend signing copies of his book.

Read an excerpt form Tyson's book online recently and it was pretty good. Check it out if you haven't read it yet.

anglocelt39

Quote from: big balla on October 07, 2013, 01:44:19 PM
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Fairytale-New-York-Paul-Fitzpatrick/9780957207264

Great new book by Paul Fitzpatrick of the Anglo Celt about Cavan's victory in The Polo Grounds and how it all came about. Great read for any GAA fan, not just Cavan fans. Obviously a lot of research done and it shows, great read.

Agree 100% only halfway through it, mind you it does have added appeal to a cavanman. Eamon Sweeney's Road to Croker account of the 2003 championship season is a great read, he gave his liver some punishment in the name of literature.
Undefeated at the Polo Grounds