GAA books

Started by Jinxy, August 17, 2011, 12:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

I have Michael Duignans book, haven't started it yet but a bit disappointed its only 200 odd pages.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Mont

Not a lot about geezer in kernans book.
Surprised by that as he seemed to be their natural leader-maybe bitter than geezer is getting more in a season than he ever got ;)

AFS

Wasn't fussed on Kernan's book. It's a decent recap of his time with Cross and then Armagh, but there's very little in it that'll be news to someone that paid much attention to these sides over the last ten or fifteen years. As alluded to earlier, a much more interesting book could be written from the bits that were left out.

Puckoon

Enjoying Christy O'Connors "the club". First Hurling book I've ever delved into and I must say it's great reading so far.

5 Sams

Quote from: Puckoon on December 27, 2011, 07:55:56 PM
Enjoying Christy O'Connors "the club". First Hurling book I've ever delved into and I must say it's great reading so far.

Last Man Standing is much better
The Aristocrat Years

Glensman

Hooked is the best hurling book I have read - Justin McCarthy. Always had a serious soft spot for him after reading that. Hence being on his side when ousted from Waterford.

dundrumite

Read that This is our year book there.. Great read, very interested to hear how Cassidy basically talked Peter Harte into missing his free kicks and how they rebuked Tyrone with " not today."
Favourite GAA book read is still Harte's Kicking down heaven's door.
Favourite Non-GAA books include Clive Woodward autobiography and particularly John Wooden book on leadership. Bounce and the Talent code are also two very good books have read recently.
Great line from Wooden "if you want to gain experience quickly consult with someone who has achieved what your looking to do" great reason to read books of great sport coaches like these guys.

ONeill

Quote from: dundrumite on December 29, 2011, 01:06:40 AM

Favourite Non-GAA books include Clive Woodward autobiography and particularly John Wooden book on leadership. Bounce and the Talent code are also two very good books have read recently.
Great line from Wooden "if you want to gain experience quickly consult with someone who has achieved what your looking to do" great reason to read books of great sport coaches like these guys.

Just finished Paul Merson's book. Jaysus, how he's still alive I don't know. Puts McConville's gambling antics in the shade but I suppose Merson had more money to play about with. The amount of beer and cocaine he was guzzling down was frightening, yet still turning out good performances for Arsenal. There seemed to be a massive drinking culture amongst professional footballers in England in the 90s and it's no wonder they bombed in major tournaments. Some of the stuff they got up to was trampish - crapping in a room-mates pillowcase, crapping over balconies, smashing places up etc. Merson makes no apologies for his behaviour - he was out of control and detached from reality.

Reading that and McConville's book fairly opens up the whole gambling addiction to the wider public. I don't understand it but it's a really dangerous disease.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

customsandrevenue

Quote from: ONeill on December 29, 2011, 11:21:00 AM

Just finished Paul Merson's book. Jaysus, how he's still alive I don't know. Puts McConville's gambling antics in the shade but I suppose Merson had more money to play about with. The amount of beer and cocaine he was guzzling down was frightening, yet still turning out good performances for Arsenal. There seemed to be a massive drinking culture amongst professional footballers in England in the 90s and it's no wonder they bombed in major tournaments. Some of the stuff they got up to was trampish - crapping in a room-mates pillowcase, crapping over balconies, smashing places up etc. Merson makes no apologies for his behaviour - he was out of control and detached from reality.

Reading that and McConville's book fairly opens up the whole gambling addiction to the wider public. I don't understand it but it's a really dangerous disease.

He is very humourous on Have I Got News For You.

fitzroyalty

Read that This is our year book there.. Great read, very interested to hear how Cassidy basically talked Peter Harte into missing his free kicks and how they rebuked Tyrone with " not today."
Favourite GAA book read is still Harte's Kicking down heaven's door.
Spolier alert dicky!!!!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: AFS on December 27, 2011, 06:29:44 PM
Wasn't fussed on Kernan's book. It's a decent recap of his time with Cross and then Armagh, but there's very little in it that'll be news to someone that paid much attention to these sides over the last ten or fifteen years. As alluded to earlier, a much more interesting book could be written from the bits that were left out.

Working my way through it. Just finished the 2002 chapter. Interesting tale about an Armagh fan who was publicly rebuked by Joe as he ran onto the pitch in the seconds after the All Ireland victory as this inidividual had been running down Francie all year and accusing Kernan of Crossmaglen bias? I wonder who that was!
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Bud Wiser

Quote from: Minder on December 25, 2011, 11:39:41 PM
I have Michael Duignans book, haven't started it yet but a bit disappointed its only 200 odd pages.

Minder, I got it as well and I am sorry there were more than two pages in it much less 200. It is the worst one of all the GAA books I have. Christy O'Connor shoulkd have relaunched The Club and I would have bought it again and read it cause I gave the one I had to a friend in hospital. Can it still be got?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Minder

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 30, 2011, 07:44:36 PM
Quote from: Minder on December 25, 2011, 11:39:41 PM

Minder, I got it as well and I am sorry there were more than two pages in it much less 200. It is the worst one of all the GAA books I have. Christy O'Connor shoulkd have relaunched The Club and I would have bought it again and read it cause I gave the one I had to a friend in hospital. Can it still be got?

Sent you a PM.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

bloodybreakball

the club is a slow burner. I ws underwhelmed after reading it especially with the very high standard o'connor set with last man standing, but i found that it rattled around in my head and stayed with me and on reflection was a great book in the sense that anybody involved with a team or club will emphasize with the year ending without success and how disapoitning that can be. i also thought it was very honest in that o'connors club had been to the pinnacle but there was a great humility in laying all their problems out there. thats what i thought anyway!!!

Orangemac

Just finished this as well. Good read although some parts were more interesting than others. The intensity and level of stone turning Donegal went through last year seems to have been unreal and would be hard to replicate next year.